Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shelby gt/sc vs GT

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 12:00 AM
zukowner

Default Shelby gt/sc vs GT

Well the fiance said I could get mustang of choice (she's such a great catch) but I'm kinda torn on the decission. I have my decission narrowed down but seek the knowledge of elder mustangers. I think it would be a great to have a Shelby gt/sc for the simple fact of what it could turn into in the future. Especially anything authenticated with that Shelby sig. on it, once he kicks the bucket (No pun intended but we all gotta go sometime) will skyrocket. And how many people do u know that had 67 gt500's when younger that wish they still had them today? My dad had a 69 Mach1 and a 70 boss 302. Wish I could choke him. But back to the topic.
I dont know if its better to by the Shelby and be reminded all the time, or if I should go the cheaper route and mod a gt slowly. By the time I get my hands on the Shelby, send it back to Shelby Auto. for an authenticated supercharging, I will be out of close to 50k. Just dont know if twice the price is a smart decission. What do u guys think.
Old 01-06-2008, 12:09 AM
EmperorOfChicken
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Shelby gt/sc vs GT

i love my shelby and ive been drivin it pretty hard. it takes me to where i need to go during the day and then at night i ****in tear it up, ****in with ferraris and porshes and all kindsa imports. killin maros and gs and zs and most other mustangs, and some c6 vettes. this car is a blast. all my mods were done at shelby.
Old 01-06-2008, 12:15 AM
zukowner

This decission is actually ur fault. The Shelby was an after thought until I seen ur bad az stang. I never knew u could charge one through shelby and have it authenticated until I saw ur post. Now I want it. Just don't know if I want to pay for it.
Old 01-06-2008, 12:17 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

unless you keep it with low miles or garaged its not going to hold its worth, and even then there will be alot of them so this will not be like it was 40 years ago....

Get the GT and use the 12K you save on modding the GT with tons of money to spare
Old 01-06-2008, 12:21 AM
kenthicken
4th Gear Member

I wouldn't worry too much about what it is going to be worth in 20 - 30 years. Will you enjoy it now, and in the next 5 years or so? You like the Shelby heritage? Then go for it!

Oh, and there's a reason that so many of us (including myself) have those stories about selling a "'67 GT500 I wish I still had:" It's called LIFE. **** happens, and you have to make some tough decisions sometimes. And, frankly, when those tough decisions have to be made, a car is not high on the list. You're about to get married, so you probably won't understand entirely where I'm coming from... but once you tie the knot, you will!!
Old 01-06-2008, 12:23 AM
Blackhawk
2nd Gear Member

If your plans are to drive the car, buy a GT and mod it exactly how you want it. Enjoy the crap out of it...

If your plans are to baby the car, never drive it in the rain, and not rack up the miles. Then buy the Shelby and hang onto it for the next 30-40 years and hope that by bringing it to the Barrett-Jackson Auction and fetching several hundred grand. Only problem is your in the same boat with 1000's and 1000's of others... That's the difference. Not to say it's not possible or that it won't happen that way. But back in the 60's when all these muscle cars were around, people didn't hang onto them in hopes of bringing them to an auction and getting $200K for a car that was purchased in 1967 for $5K. It just happened that way.

Fast forward to 2007-2008... Now almost everybody says the same thing. "If I buy that limited production car, it's going to be worth a 100 timesmore than what I purchased it for today. After all, look at the Shelby's, Hemi's, and other muscle cars from the 60's-70's."

Time will tell. [sm=americanasmiley.gif]
Old 01-06-2008, 12:32 AM
Black GT
4th Gear Member

Plus in 40 years hope that the car isn't illegal to drive due to emissions and that gasoline is still available.
Old 01-06-2008, 12:36 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

in 40 years we will be in flyin cars and all cars that have tires or run on gas will be "special"
Old 01-06-2008, 12:37 AM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

Cars are poor investments. If you take the money that you'd get for selling most cars after they become garage born (outlive their use and become weekend cars), and put that in the S&P 500 you always outpform the value of any appreciating car.

Lets not kid ourselves, if you can afford a Shelby GT Supercharged go for it. If not don't think it's smart to do so still. There is something smarter. there is nothing stopping you from getting a lightly used white GT (22k), (whipple, 7k), and all the bits to make the Shelby a Shelby (4k), allong with 20" gunmetal shelby razors (1k) for the extra flare to put you in the best case scenario, then forcing yourself to invest that 16k left over into you guessed it the S&P 500.

You'll end up with the EXACT object of your best situation of desire AND The BEST part is that after 5 years you'll have MADE 21 grand or come out with 38 grand in your pocket and a car worth 18 grand.

I know this all sounds silly comming from some random person but look at it this way.

What if I told you that if you bought a Shelby GT Supercharged from me for $50000, in 5 years I would buy it back for $57000. I know you think Shelbys will appreciate but they won't, they will just depreciate less.

Listen to this.
Old 01-06-2008, 09:20 AM
wmtheflash
3rd Gear Member

No doubt about it, you'd be better off investing in an appreciating assest, not a car. Vehicles are always poor investments!

Mustang is a budget performance car, so you get a lot of budget minded owners. One way to look at is, it's cheaper to buy a V8 Mustang and turn it into a Shelby. The other argument is, I can easily afford a more expensive Mustang, why bother modding a GT if I can just get it from the factory?

Anyway, if your income allows for it, then buy the Shelby. Some people are high wage earners and the thousands that they'll save buying a Mustang GT are simply irrelevant.

Now, on the other hand, if grandma just left you $50k and you make $30k a year and you want to blow it all on a Shelby GT because you think you can retire on it 30 years from now, then that's simply foolish.

Quick Reply: Shelby gt/sc vs GT