Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Xenon blackout panel or ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 05:21 PM
2007CalSpec
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Xenon blackout panel or ?

ORIGINAL: Fred Malibu

If you haven't decided which one to buy yet, maybe you'd consider the magnetic one?

That's the one I have. It looks really good IMO. Its a flat black, so its not so glossy. It fits perfectly around the gas cap and I can take it off whenever I want and put it right back on in 30 seconds..

Good luck either way.

FM
Where did you buy the magnetic one from? I read about someone buying a magneticpanel on Ebay and it fell apart after awhile when he went to take it off. That's the only reason I'm afraid to go magnetic.
Old 01-06-2008, 05:23 PM
oshkoshbajawsh
I ♥ Acer

i have a xenon blackout panel on the way to me right now. ill let you guys know how it fits even though i was guarenteed a perfect fit, some have had problems like the pic below. im glad i read this post the magnetic strips sounds like a great idea as opposed to the double sided tape.

Old 01-06-2008, 05:31 PM
TJ
4th Gear Member

If you haven't decided which one to buy yet, maybe you'd consider the magnetic one?

That's the one I have. It looks really good IMO. Its a flat black, so its not so glossy. It fits perfectly around the gas cap and I can take it off whenever I want and put it right back on in 30 seconds..

Good luck either way.

FM

Fred Ikind ofwant to go flat over gloss myself I have a couple questions for you, I heard that the magnetic one attracts dust quit a bit/often any problem with that?

Also have youseen any fine scratching accruing on the rear car (car itself)panel when you remove the black out panel and how long have you had yours?

TIA

Old 01-06-2008, 05:33 PM
TJ
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: deekum1627

i have the Xenon one to i like it, it attaches with 3m tape and it does show a little paint around the cap i dont know why i just got it for christmas ill post a pic later buti goit athttp://www.americanmuscle.com/mustan...out-panel.html
Thanks for that update on your experience!
Old 01-06-2008, 05:40 PM
deekum1627
6th Gear Member

do you see the paintaround the cap its very little
Old 01-06-2008, 05:44 PM
deekum1627
6th Gear Member

here a different angel

good luck with the one you pick out let us know
Old 01-06-2008, 05:45 PM
Fred Malibu
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TJ

Fred Ikind ofwant to go flat over gloss myself I have a couple questions for you, I heard that the magnetic one attracts dust quit a bit/often any problem with that?

Also have youseen any fine scratching accruing on the rear car (car itself)panel when you remove the black out panel and how long have you had yours?

TIA
Hey,
I suppose the amount of dust on the panel is relative to the area in which you live.. obviously if you park your car in front of your house every night and there is pollen or dust in the air then it will attract dust.. but it is easy to clean (towel and water.. soap if you really care..).
Some days I notice it, and most days I don't.. and I am the kind of person to notice these things.. I have not seen any fine scratching, so this might be an individual issue.. Whenever I take mine off to clean, there is a thin line of dust that has collected on the edge of the panel.. but it washes right off and leaves no trace. I have had mine for around 5 months and am still happy with it..

For me, the flat black is more subtle and attractive, it doesnt blind you if the sun is out and gives the car a clean look.. If you like gloss, thats cool too.. I prefer mine.

As for the OP's question, I did in fact buy mine on Ebay, for about $30.. It is very much in one piece to this day.. I cant see how it would come apart.. I'll let you know if that happens.. Doubt it though.

Old 01-06-2008, 06:02 PM
2007CalSpec
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: deekum1627

do you see the paintaround the cap its very little
I can actually see a hint of red around that faux gas cap. I guess Xenon hasn't fixed this issue.
Old 01-06-2008, 06:06 PM
2007CalSpec
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TJ

TIA
Hey,
I suppose the amount of dust on the panel is relative to the area in which you live.. obviously if you park your car in front of your house every night and there is pollen or dust in the air then it will attract dust.. but it is easy to clean (towel and water.. soap if you really care..).
Some days I notice it, and most days I don't.. and I am the kind of person to notice these things.. I have not seen any fine scratching, so this might be an individual issue.. Whenever I take mine off to clean, there is a thin line of dust that has collected on the edge of the panel.. but it washes right off and leaves no trace. I have had mine for around 5 months and am still happy with it..

For me, the flat black is more subtle and attractive, it doesnt blind you if the sun is out and gives the car a clean look.. If you like gloss, thats cool too.. I prefer mine.

As for the OP's question, I did in fact buy mine on Ebay, for about $30.. It is very much in one piece to this day.. I cant see how it would come apart.. I'll let you know if that happens.. Doubt it though.

Hmmm...for $30 I might just get the magnetic one then. I wonder if using an anti static spray would help prevent dust collecting. Just a thought.
Old 01-06-2008, 06:07 PM
deekum1627
6th Gear Member

ya its there a little but i still like it, if your driving behind me you dont really see it, inless your close

Quick Reply: Xenon blackout panel or ?