Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

three principal questions about CAI's (did forums search!)

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 02:50 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

Default RE: three principal questions about CAI's (did forums search!)

ORIGINAL: jay0heavenly

ORIGINAL: tlpvt

ORIGINAL: jay0heavenly

1. Most CAI's come with a heat shield and the filter is in the EXACT place as the air box is, so I don't see how the stock airbox would be cooler.
isn't there a rubber tube going from the bottom of the stock airfilter box into the corner down behind the bumper? that't why I thought the air should be coldere there.
No...no such thing...the stock air box is not connected to any tubes behind the bumper...the CAI is in the exact place...and regardless of GidyupGo says...the CAI DOES add hp...I can prove that on dyno, the butt dyno or the street. [8D]

I said it adds a FEW or not much. Quit twisting! The butt dyno is the most acurate you know.
Old 01-08-2008, 03:54 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/tec...ons/index.html
Old 01-08-2008, 04:08 PM
tlpvt
2nd Gear Member

well, i wasn't there to be the judge, but looks more like an adverisement/sponsored article. [X(]
i mean, if you completely remove the whole airfilter/tubing assembly(0 restriction on the filter part), would you get like "up to"~20hp? hard to believe that. but they get those power gains withmodified filters?
[sm=dontgetit.gif]
Old 01-08-2008, 05:05 PM
Caution
5th Gear Member

+1 -- I have to agree with Matt on this this one

ORIGINAL: howarmat

I disagree.....the CAI does ADD HP.....The tune is where most of the gains are but I still think its stupid not to get a CAI also....it might only add 5-10 HP if you have just a CAI and tune, but when you get into the other other mods, the new intake tube has alot to do with gains......

almost worth it=just CAI
better setup=only tune
Best way to go=both CAI/tune from Bamachips, Brenspeed or VMP......or a dyno shop that actually knows how to tune a s197
Old 01-08-2008, 05:28 PM
djmac95
2nd Gear Member

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that the gains seen from a CAI over the stock tubeare in part from the velocity of the air moving through the less restrictive CAItube, and the smoothing of the airflow (less turbulence than the stock tube) from the CAI tube. The setup you talk about with removing the intake altogether in effect exists with the WMS CAI which is more or less a filter attached right to the throttle body, but you'll notice the JLT makes more HP due to the two factors I just mentioned. Additionally, if you plan to do more mods in the future your engine will benefit and you'll see your numbers go up from the increased airflow the CAI provides.The example being that those who have seen themost gains from cams are the ones who have decreased theintake airflow restrictions as much as possible. Some food for thought...
Old 01-08-2008, 05:34 PM
rmays06
5th Gear Member

Really what I don't get is that you've been around for almost a year now and even if you don't post alot you probably have done your fair share for lurking....with that said, how is it this is such a difficult point to understand? Hundreds or maybe thousands of posts here talk about how much more of a response/power it is to add these to fairly cheap componets.

Its not rocket science, its simple really, if you bring colder and more air into an engine it will breath better adding power!
If you adjust the computer setting (like tune ups and timing used to do in lifter motors) you make the car burn differntly and better which adds more powerand allow for increased throttle response that is controlled by the computer in these cars.

The below article may seem like advertisment but it is a comparison. Maybe you should do a lil more research if you wanna add mods to the car before you do. If you don't completely understand something it seems ignorant to mod...IMO.

Last thing, yes you probably will get tons more air in with out any filter/airbox set up but what then are you drawing in? EVERYTHING, the filters (greeen and K&N) allow about 99% of a stock filter and over the life of a car what did that extra 1% draw in? I shudder to think.
GOOGLE is your friend don't make everyone else do your work for you.

well, i wasn't there to be the judge, but looks more like an adverisement/sponsored article. [X(]
i mean, if you completely remove the whole airfilter/tubing assembly(0 restriction on the filter part), would you get like "up to"~20hp? hard to believe that. but they get those power gains withmodified filters?
[sm=dontgetit.gif]
Old 01-08-2008, 06:25 PM
tlpvt
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rmays06

Really what I don't get is that you've been around for almost a year now and even if you don't post alot you probably have done your fair share for lurking....with that said, how is it this is such a difficult point to understand? Hundreds or maybe thousands of posts here talk about how much more of a response/power it is to add these to fairly cheap componets.

Its not rocket science, its simple really, if you bring colder and more air into an engine it will breath better adding power!
If you adjust the computer setting (like tune ups and timing used to do in lifter motors) you make the car burn differntly and better which adds more powerand allow for increased throttle response that is controlled by the computer in these cars.

The below article may seem like advertisment but it is a comparison. Maybe you should do a lil more research if you wanna add mods to the car before you do. If you don't completely understand something it seems ignorant to mod...IMO.

Last thing, yes you probably will get tons more air in with out any filter/airbox set up but what then are you drawing in? EVERYTHING, the filters (greeen and K&N) allow about 99% of a stock filter and over the life of a car what did that extra 1% draw in? I shudder to think.
GOOGLE is your friend don't make everyone else do your work for you.

[sm=dontgetit.gif]
sorry, but I'm not sure you understood the OP correctly[sm=icon_quiet.gif]and yeah, i took quite a few physics classes in gradschool to still remember the Boyle-Mariotte lawandknow the difference between hot and coldair volumes. [sm=icon_blah.gif][sm=icon_cheers.gif]
Old 01-09-2008, 12:07 AM
djmac95
2nd Gear Member

It should also be noted that Ken at Modular Depot was the one who conducted the CAI comparisons. At that time he did not have a CAI out (he just released the one that I bought). To me it wouldn't make sense for that to be an advertisement because he would be selling other vendors/competitor's products, not his own.
Old 01-09-2008, 12:12 AM
Bluestar
5th Gear Member

Well I think this thread is about done......don't you.
Old 01-09-2008, 12:18 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

i wouldnt say that it is an advertisement, but that is like 2 years old, many CAIs have come out since and there is alot more research into the tuning of them.

Every CAI has a slightly different intake tube, some are focused on torq, other more on HP.

Short answer the 3 questions:
1) Its not about the temp of the air as much as it is about the amount of airflow that is gained also
2) answer in previous post
3) WMS CAI as mentioned is like that, cant really say the gains are tons better or worse than a JLT, C&L or Steeda

Quick Reply: three principal questions about CAI's (did forums search!)