Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

car sucking

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 09:25 AM
blackout
5th Gear Member

Default RE: car sucking

ORIGINAL: Derf00

ORIGINAL: ohnoesaz

So my 2005 GT with 23K miles seems to have sluggish performance... Extremely full of sootishness in the tailpipe, thick. Bad gas mileage.

I have CAI + bama, cmdp, loudmouths, DS, shorties,have seafoam cleaned a few times, nothing special.

Ideas?
Seafoamed a few times on a 23K mile car?? [&:]

+1 to Gidyupgo - You're running RICH

Stop with the unecessary seafoaming, you're just gonna eat your seals up. Check/clean your plugs, replace fuel filter, Clean or replace your air filter, reflash your tune (your car adapts over time) then see how it goes.
I haven't reflashed my car in a year are you telling me that since I drive my car slow every day and then floor it once a year that my car is slower?

Your tune doesn't adapt over time or to your driving style...

-Jeff
Old 01-11-2008, 09:28 AM
blackout
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GidyupGo

ORIGINAL: blackout

ORIGINAL: mlcrycc

fuel filter replacementand clean the throttle body....???????

The soot in the pipe indicates he is getting too much fuel, not starving it.
You should still change the fuel filter if you haven't changed it yet.

It's probably just in your imagination more than anything. I would put the car on the dyno if you think it is feeling sluggish and then go from there. The soot is definately there beacuse of your tune from bama which is from adding more fuel, but does not necessarily mean you are getting too much. I'm sure that could play a part in your gas mileage having a more aggressive tune, but again put the car on a dyno and record your gas mileage after each fill up!

-Jeff
He's getting too much fuel.Be it either from not enough air, bad tune, or an incomplete combustion process. So, re-flash, clean air filter, or replace plugs. That's ALL it could be.
The soot build up is from adding more fuel, that doesn't mean it is too much.

It could mean this, but that is not a FACT. When you add more fuel, you will have more build up on your tips. You can say the car is running rich all you want, but that doesn't mean he is losing power.

-Jeff
Old 01-11-2008, 09:33 AM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mlcrycc

fuel filter replacementand clean the throttle body....???????

The soot in the pipe indicates he is getting too much fuel, not starving it.
You should still change the fuel filter if you haven't changed it yet.

It's probably just in your imagination more than anything. I would put the car on the dyno if you think it is feeling sluggish and then go from there. The soot is definately there beacuse of your tune from bama which is from adding more fuel, but does not necessarily mean you are getting too much. I'm sure that could play a part in your gas mileage having a more aggressive tune, but again put the car on a dyno and record your gas mileage after each fill up!

-Jeff
He's getting too much fuel.Be it either from not enough air, bad tune, or an incomplete combustion process. So, re-flash, clean air filter, or replace plugs. That's ALL it could be.
The soot build up is from adding more fuel, that doesn't mean it is too much.

It could mean this, but that is not a FACT. When you add more fuel, you will have more build up on your tips. You can say the car is running rich all you want, but that doesn't mean he is losing power.

-Jeff

Well, obviously if the spark plugs are fouling, or the exhaust tips are sooting up, it is too much fuel under the given conditions. Next thing to go will be O2 sensors.
Old 01-11-2008, 09:41 AM
blackout
5th Gear Member

He needs to pull the plugs out and check or get an air/fuel reading which is why I said get that **** on the dyno!

It could definately be the tune if it is a mail order file and could definately be running rich in that case.He definatley needs to pull the plugs and check for build up but that is all in his hands.

-Jeff
Old 01-11-2008, 09:51 AM
NickSezz
4th Gear Member

Cough wideband cough...lol j/k thats my answer to all questions now. If I have a problem, my wideband is going to show it most of the time. The guys here seemed to have covered all the basic things it could be. Always start with the easy/obvious things first, you know that.
Old 01-11-2008, 09:57 AM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

So my 2005 GT with 23K miles seems to have sluggish performance... Extremely full of sootishness in the tailpipe, thick. Bad gas mileage.

I have CAI + bama, cmdp, loudmouths, DS, shorties,have seafoam cleaned a few times, nothing special.

Ideas?

Stop with the unecessary seafoaming, you're just gonna eat your seals up. Check/clean your plugs, replace fuel filter, Clean or replace your air filter, reflash your tune (your car adapts over time) then see how it goes.
I haven't reflashed my car in a year are you telling me that since I drive my car slow every day and then floor it once a year that my car is slower?

-Jeff
On the 05+ with throttle by wire it does adapt/learn. 04 and older don't have the same ignition, ECM, or PCM system. Older stangs are simply "plug and play".
Old 01-11-2008, 10:11 AM
FenderParrothead
2nd Gear Member

Ideas?

-Jeff
On the 05+ with throttle by wire it does adapt/learn. 04 and older don't have the same ignition, ECM, or PCM system. Older stangs are simply "plug and play".
There's been a TON of back and forth on whether or not a car that has been retuned still adapts to your driving style or not. As far as I know, there's no concrete evidence either way, although I think howarmat did some research into it at one point and got some interesting, but not definite, information - at least I think it was him.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:46 AM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

True and it may account for some of the sluggishness, but not the fouled exhaust.
Old 01-11-2008, 01:51 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Some of the factory learning is hindered but from Doug and Brents answers not all of it is shut down
Old 01-11-2008, 02:06 PM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

Soot can mean the mixture is rich, but not only. It could also mean the fuel getting to the chamber just isn't being burnt completely, so yea, I'd say check your plugs.

+1 on it being imagination as well. I find that washing and waxing the car makes it feel like it's gained 50hp, try that

Quick Reply: car sucking