Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Specific Brenspeed vs. B A M A question

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 09:13 AM
FenderParrothead
2nd Gear Member

Default Specific Brenspeed vs. B A M A question

I was about to ask this in an existing thread that's going on right now, but as my question started to get longer and longer, I decided to post a new one rather than hijack anything.

I have Brenspeed tunes, just the standard 89, 91, 93, nothing special or fancy. Now after the 3K mark, the Stang takes off like a bat out of hell - completely different beast. But, I'd like something with some more low-end power, or something that's more uniform across the board.

a) Does Brenspeed have performance/race tunes that I should get?

b) Is it worth ordering a B A M A tune, and getting one their performance or race ones? If so, what's the best, considering the only mod I have is a C&L intake. What will give me more of what I'm looking for? What's the main difference between the torque, race, and performance type tunes.

c) Last, I have a SCT tuner. As long as I order the SCT tune, B A M A's tune should be able to co-exist on there with the Brenspeed tunes, right? I don't see why it wouldn't, but figured I should double-check...better safe than sorry.

Thanks to all!
Old 01-11-2008, 09:30 AM
harraid5711
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Specific Brenspeed vs. B A M A question

i too originally had al brenspeed tunes and was looking for something more......

a) apparently, all brenspeeds tunes are the same, no break up off race, perf, torque ect.....

b) i think i'm about to pull the trigger of a b a m a race tune. i currently have one of his performance tunes and the top end is amazing!! still a little weak on the bottom end torque, but several people said the race would change that in addition to having a VERY touchy throttle

c) yes they can coexist......and they don't argue all that much!
Old 01-11-2008, 09:30 AM
Ultrashock
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Very Specific Brenspeed/B A M A question

a) I've heard something quite a few times about a "tourque tune".
b) I'd go for it myself considering my SCT Xcal2 ships today and I might want a variety. Tourque would pull harder lower and the race more up top is my guess. Some say doug's tunes pull hard throughout and not just over 3k.
c) I'm sure. Im not sure how much memory is on the Xcal2 so Im not sure the number of tunes it's capable of holding.
Old 01-11-2008, 09:33 AM
scramblr
3rd Gear Member

I have both Doug's and Brent's tunes. Personnaly I wouldn't spend the money on getting another tune. In my car, the difference between Doug's race tune and Brent's 93 is only 1/10th on the track. I can't tell the difference between the two on the street either. If you're going to spend more money on a tune, I'd get on a dyno.
Old 01-11-2008, 09:36 AM
FenderParrothead
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: harraid5711

i too originally had al brenspeed tunes and was looking for something more......

a) apparently, all brenspeeds tunes are the same, no break up off race, perf, torque ect.....

b) i think i'm about to pull the trigger of a b a m a race tune. i currently have one of his performance tunes and the top end is amazing!! still a little weak on the bottom end torque, but several people said the race would change that in addition to having a VERY touchy throttle

c) yes they can coexist......and they don't argue all that much!
Thanks Harraid...it was actually your thread that I was reading (and trying not to hijack) that got me thinking about this. Brenspeed's cutomer service, etc., was great and I would still recommend them for many things, but I'm beginning to get the impression that B*A*M*A may be the way to go.
Old 01-11-2008, 09:37 AM
PiggySmallz
3rd Gear Member

i have the bama 93 tunes. I use my torque tune as a daily driver tune. It's very nice down low, the car takes off. The performance tune is good down low but pulls like an animal in the top end. The race tune to me is a happy medium of excellent low end torque that keeps pulling all the way through the RPM's
Old 01-11-2008, 09:38 AM
harraid5711
3rd Gear Member

i too am swaying that way.....and i don't know if things have changed over there in Alabama.....but no matter what people have said in the past.......doug get's back to me almost immediately through email.......
Old 01-11-2008, 09:40 AM
FenderParrothead
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: scramblr

I have both Doug's and Brent's tunes. Personnaly I wouldn't spend the money on getting another tune. In my car, the difference between Doug's race tune and Brent's 93 is only 1/10th on the track. I can't tell the difference between the two on the street either. If you're going to spend more money on a tune, I'd get on a dyno.
well, crap! haha I just want a "you should do this" answer. Yeah, I know, that'd be entirely too easy!

Thanks for your input scramblr!!
Old 01-11-2008, 09:48 AM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: FenderParrothead

I was about to ask this in an existing thread that's going on right now, but as my question started to get longer and longer, I decided to post a new one rather than hijack anything.

I have Brenspeed tunes, just the standard 89, 91, 93, nothing special or fancy. Now after the 3K mark, the Stang takes off like a bat out of hell - completely different beast. But, I'd like something with some more low-end power, or something that's more uniform across the board.

a) Does Brenspeed have performance/race tunes that I should get?

b) Is it worth ordering a B A M A tune, and getting one their performance or race ones? If so, what's the best, considering the only mod I have is a C&L intake. What will give me more of what I'm looking for? What's the main difference between the torque, race, and performance type tunes.

c) Last, I have a SCT tuner. As long as I order the SCT tune, B A M A's tune should be able to co-exist on there with the Brenspeed tunes, right? I don't see why it wouldn't, but figured I should double-check...better safe than sorry.

Thanks to all!
From what I've been seeing on the forum,

Both tunes are great.
Brenspeed has excellent customer service and maybe a little bit more conservative tune than BAMA
I've read of a couple of instances where the BAMA tune caused the car to run rich out of the box but with a couple of phone calls it was taken care of.

I've also heard of an instance where the Brenspeed tune was wacky. Same thing, couple calls it was fixed.

I've purchased from Brenspeed before and they do have great customer service. Haven't dealt with Bama but I'm sure they are very reputable as well.
Old 01-11-2008, 09:49 AM
06Redfire3V
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: scramblr

Whose tune gives you the the better 1/10th second in the quarter?

Dough or Brent?!

Quick Reply: Specific Brenspeed vs. B A M A question