Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone install detroit tru trac?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 07:22 PM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

Default RE: anyone install detroit tru trac?

ps..... mine goes in soon
Old 01-11-2008, 08:36 PM
retfr8flyr
3rd Gear Member

Just a heads up, when I installed mine I had to shave about 5 thousands off the center spacer for it to fit.

Earl
Old 01-11-2008, 11:00 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Great info BTW.

I know MOdadict blew up his Tru trak at around 700 HP, I'm no where near that now but.... I'm looking into a new diff and am really considering putting in the Locker. Idon't mind some noises during turning movements. I want something strong enough to last at the track and not screw up my daily driving. I will also be going with a taller gear. I have the 4.10's now and I'm crossing the line at red line. With turbo, the short gear puts me right through my power band and hurts me. I'm not using the TQ to my advantage. So I need to put a taller gear in there, probably a 3.73 or 3.55. I'm not making big power now but will be adding a second turbo and building the motor in the next year.

From someonewho knows about gearing and turbos, please chime in. . .
Old 01-12-2008, 01:04 AM
modaddict
4th Gear Member

A 'Taller' gear would be a 4.30...

But to the important stuff - I heard so many stories abou the locker on the street and I've put 8000 miles on the car with the locker on there and hardly ever notice it's even back there. A sharp turn, or any turn in reverse is about the only time I know it's back here - also when you light up the tires, it's a little different - not so much a burnout, but more of a hopping or 'skipping' on the pavement.

Anyway, the point is the locker is just fine for the street if you aren't a drifter or a serious road racer. The main plus to the locker is that it is bullet proof...period.

No matter what anyone tells you, there is no set mph for a specific gear. It is all relative to your rpm also. For example, I was able to get about 124 mph max in the 1/4 with 4.10's and that was shifiting at 7000 rpm. With my whole set-up (including trans) - I would only be able to hit about 120'ish mph in the 1/4 shifting at 6500 before I was done. This was also on a 28" tall tire (tire size also matters)

The point I am trying to make is there is not going to be one single answer for you from what you described of your mods and goals. I can't say this is the gear, tire, and shift point cause every set-up is unique. You should be able to figure out what you need by where your rpm is when you cross the traps.

I went to 3.73 gears and shifiting at 7000 rpm, I was able to run about 132 mph consistently on my set-up. With my new motor, I'm dropping down again to adjust for what I expect will be in the 145 mph range shifting at 6500 rpm. I know at least 3.55's but it may turn out to be even lower.

When you get some time, PM me exactly what you're runing in the 1/4 (all stats - 60', 330', 1000' & traps) and exactly what rpm you are at when you are at through the traps. Also let me know what trans you have and how you are launching. I also need to know what your shift point is. Now I need to know what your rwhp and torque are now and where you expect them to be with the upgrades. I also need to know what tires you are runing at the track and the size.

I know it's a lot of info, but that's what it takes to tell you exactly what is the best gear, tire, and rpm combo for you.