Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car cut out on me while accelerating...

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 08:12 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Car cut out on me while accelerating...

Did you have her rev'd up high? I'm thinking the rev limiter...
Old 01-12-2008, 08:13 AM
06tyrfryr
2nd Gear Member

same thing has happened on mine and my wifes cars, usually after driving easy for a period of time and then going wot
Old 01-12-2008, 08:15 AM
stang910
2nd Gear Member

Bad fuel causing the knock sensors to go off? I've had it happen a couple times and each time i heard the motor ping really bad. I now buy gas from a different place and haven't had the problem since.
Old 01-12-2008, 08:16 AM
Tracedaddy
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Nuke

Did you have her rev'd up high? I'm thinking the rev limiter...
X2 I think that would be the most simple answer.
Old 01-12-2008, 08:22 AM
peteway
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 06Saleen3V

The traction control can easily damper the power of the car at those speeds...mine has done it before...especially considering it was slightly salty on the roads
I agree. I've had traction control do that to me as well when going WOT. I was passing someone on the interstate going about 60 or so and there was a section of concrete that was uneven and when it hit it TC kicked in and killed my power. The concrete wasn't that bad but I think at interstate speeds the TC is more sensative because of the high rotation of the tires.
..just my guess.
Old 01-12-2008, 08:55 AM
06VistaBlueGT
3rd Gear Member

Fuel pump TSB, take it to the dealership and tell them about it. THey should be able to tell from VIN numbers if your car falls in the range for the TSB.
Old 01-12-2008, 09:05 AM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

Rev limiter and/or TCS.

I would hope that you have some idea of what the car under you is doing though [&:]
Old 01-12-2008, 09:10 AM
exx1976
5th Gear Member

+1 for the fuel pump TSB. My car did this to me while on a road trip.. Had the cruise on for like 2+ hours, cam up to a toll barrier, paid the toll, went to take off, maybe 1/2 - 3/4 throttle, and *blah* *cough* *cough* *stumble* *VROOM*. Looked on here, found the TSB, printed it out and took it to the dealer, and I had a new fuel pump and whatever else was in the TSB. All free of charge, of course.

But print out the TSB and take it with you, my local stealership tried playing the game "We can't find a TSB anywhere on that, so we'll diagnose it for you for $125/hr, yata yata"... Boy were they unhappy when I came back with the TSB for them..
Old 01-12-2008, 09:36 AM
dirtydeedsinc
2nd Gear Member

DEFINITELY print the TSB and take it with you. When I took mine in for that, the guy checking my car said he wouldn't do anything because the computer didn't show any codes. Asked him if he had read the TSB and he hadn't and wouldn't. Talked to the service manager at length and had him look up the TSB, even though that was on the paper work on why I had brought it in. After he read it he said he had heard about something similiar on a different car and they would do some more checks and probably just do what the TSB said. His point was he didn't want to throw parts at it and have me unsatisfied that they didn't fix the problem. I can understand that but his tech wouldn't listen. Got a different tech that wasn't such a dumb a$$ and they swapped the pump. The problem has been gone ever since. it was mostly after a long cruise stopping then a start but would sometimes do it on a long cruise then giving her some gas. It acts a lot like TCS kicking in so that could still be your problem.

I've got the TSB if you have any problems finding it.
Old 01-12-2008, 10:34 AM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 06Saleen3V

The traction control can easily damper the power of the car at those speeds...mine has done it before...especially considering it was slightly salty on the roads
Same here. Even a hard, quick downshift to speed up while cruising at 50-60 mph I've had it happen. Another reason to turn it off after you start, lol.

Quick Reply: Car cut out on me while accelerating...