Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do Mustang automatics "learn"?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 06:35 PM
Qusus
2nd Gear Member

Default Do Mustang automatics "learn"?

So I've been hearing on these boards that those stangs with stock auto's (sorry couldnt swing a manual since it's my daily) actually "learn" a driver's habits. I'm skeptical, but is this true, and if so how does it do such a thing?

I ask because I didn't put the first 820 miles on the car and the car upshifts REALLY eagerly, way more eagerly than any auto I've ever driven, when I'd rather have it hold the gears a little longer. I'm wondering if this is because the transmission has settled on the other drivers style first 800 miles and isn't good for mine?
Old 01-12-2008, 06:39 PM
mpatilla
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Do Mustang automatics "learn"?

Yes, I think it's true. I bought my mustang with 23000 on it. I didn't like the shift pattern. You can disconnect the battery for a few minutes, then reconnect. If my understanding is correct, it will adjust itself to the way you drive. If you put the pedal down a little harder it will wait about shifting also. I had fun yesterday evening whenthe transmissionshifted into overdrive at 100 mph.

Old 01-12-2008, 06:41 PM
Qusus
2nd Gear Member

Interesting... interesting... wonder if the battery thing works because I just had a new battery put in (so the car was without power for quite a time). Well either way I'll def. be flooring it around town the next week.
Old 01-12-2008, 08:50 PM
mpatilla
2nd Gear Member

Have you driven it much since the battery install? Have you noticed a difference? I think it takes a few short trips under your foot for it to "learn".

Old 01-12-2008, 08:53 PM
NELS GT
3rd Gear Member

I don't really get it. [8D] So can you like teach it to shift harder or what? [8D]

What action will cause what affect?
Old 01-12-2008, 09:12 PM
First05gt

I don't know about the ford just being unplugged. I now when I read about other trannies they tell you that they have to be flashed. It takes a long time for the transmission to learn a new pattern. You should ask the steallership and see what they charge to clean it up, just for information. JUST INFORMATION
Old 01-12-2008, 09:13 PM
Qusus
2nd Gear Member

Actually you know what, I think I really only noticed the fast shifts AFTER the battery install. I guess because it reverted back to it's default setting? Either way I'll be sure to floor it around... (I'm really just lookin for an excuse to drive fast haha)

As for what action causes what effect not sure but just speculating that

driving hard, accelerating hard, would make the auto adapt to faster downshifts and also have it hold lower gears longer to stay out of OD.

driving softer would do the opposite, slower downshifts and more eager upshifts for better fuel economy.

That makes sense right?
Old 01-12-2008, 09:17 PM
billyjo
2nd Gear Member

yes your car learns, it is called adaptive strategy . IT takes about two days of driving and the car starts to adjust to your driving for fuel and emission. A simply way to erase your memory is to turn the the key to the running position but dont start your a car so in ford terms KOEO key on engine off. Now push your gas pedel to the floor slowly for 5 seconds and then back off for another five seconds and then wait five seconds and then turn the key off and then start the car. this erases the short term memory and starts you back at scratch. IF you have any other questions please ask i am a tech
Old 01-12-2008, 10:06 PM
mpatilla
2nd Gear Member

Awesome. Thanks for that info! I can't wait to try that myself.

Old 01-12-2008, 10:24 PM
Qusus
2nd Gear Member

Oh wow thanks for the info billyjo! I'll be sure to do that promptly.

Ford should really really put info like that in the manual! I bet 90% of people with automatics don't even know their car has this feature.

Edit:

Btw, it's amazing the stuff I learn on this forum. Thanks everybody!

Quick Reply: Do Mustang automatics "learn"?