Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

getting ready for PA emissions, TOO LEAN codes

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 11:20 AM
jlaurens06gt
2nd Gear Member

Default getting ready for PA emissions, TOO LEAN codes

Preface: I've used the Search feature....

I have a steeda CAI and Brenspeeds 93 perf tune. I have an appt next week for inspection and emission. From all the 'search' I've done I see that it is recommended to put the car back to stock since it seems the Brenspeed Perf tune turns off the 02 sensors and will cause the car to fail emissions. In prep for next week I did this yesterday (reverted to stock setting, albeitwith a full tank of 93.)

Idled it, start and stop driving, little highway, etc to put it through its paces. Ran like CRAP and gave me a 'check engine' lightafter approx 10-15 minutes of drive.Returned home, redthe errorcodes ((2) 'Too lean' codes) and 'searched'.I next cleaned the MAF with brake cleaning fluid. I did this because I've read that an over oiled filter can cause a MAF problem...which I did clean and re-oil about 6 weeks ago, (probably over oiled it as it was my first time.)

Cleared the codes and started over. Idled it, start and stop driving, little highway, etc to put it through its paces again. Still crappy in at least three ways:
*Ran rough down low.
*Throttle 'stuck'..meaning I was in second shifting to third and once I let off the gas and engaged clutch the RPM's still stayed at approx. 3k. I tried this several times and several times the throttle 'stuck' at elevated RPM even after my foot was removed from the gas. Stuck for almost exactly 5 seconds each time.
*Bogged down intermittentlyin first, second and third. (almost got stuck in an intersection...)

This time I had my SCTxcal 2 with me. Morecodes, pulled over and read them, still the (2) 'too lean' ones. Cleared them, and reset to 93 perf tune. Idled rough for a minute then cleared. Put it through the paces and it ran awesome, the way I have been used for for 7 months.

At this point, what should I do in order to prep for emisssions test?

I've read that you can run 93 octane on an 87 tune with no worries. Should I run the tank of 93 down, fill up with 87 and re-program to stock at the same time?

Should I contact Brenspeed and ask for a tune that does not disable the 02 sensors?

Should I revert back to stock and just let it run, crappy as it might be, and let it present the codes? I mean, maybe in the last 7 months I actually have an 02 sensor problem, and since my 06 is still under warranty the dealership should troubleshoot and replace.

If I do revert to stock tune, should I also put the stock airbox back on? Would this make a difference? (I personally don't care if the dealer knows I have a CAI.)

Thoughts and advice please....
Old 01-13-2008, 11:32 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Default RE: getting ready for PA emissions, TOO LEAN codes

ORIGINAL: jlaurens06gt

I have a steeda CAI and Brenspeeds 93 perf tune. I have an appt next week for inspection and emission. From all the 'search' I've done I see that it is recommended to put the car back to stock since it seems the Brenspeed Perf tune turns off the 02 sensors and will cause the car to fail emissions. In prep for next week I did this yesterday (reverted to stock setting, albeitwith a full tank of 93.)

Idled it, start and stop driving, little highway, etc to put it through its paces. Ran like CRAP and gave me a 'check engine' lightafter approx 10-15 minutes of drive.Returned home, redthe errorcodes ((2) 'Too lean' codes) and 'searched'.I next cleaned the MAF with brake cleaning fluid. I did this because I've read that an over oiled filter can cause a MAF problem...which I did clean and re-oil about 6 weeks ago, (probably over oiled it as it was my first time.)

Cleared the codes and started over. Idled it, start and stop driving, little highway, etc to put it through its paces again. Still crappy in at least three ways:
*Ran rough down low.
*Throttle 'stuck'..meaning I was in second shifting to third and once I let off the gas and engaged clutch the RPM's still stayed at approx. 3k. I tried this several times and several times the throttle 'stuck' at elevated RPM even after my foot was removed from the gas. Stuck for almost exactly 5 seconds each time.
*Bogged down intermittentlyin first, second and third. (almost got stuck in an intersection...)

This time I had my SCTxcal 2 with me. Morecodes, pulled over and read them, still the (2) 'too lean' ones. Cleared them, and reset to 93 perf tune. Idled rough for a minute then cleared. Put it through the paces and it ran awesome, the way I have been used for for 7 months.

I've read that you can run 93 octane on an 87 tune with no worries. Should I run the tank of 93 down, fill up with 87 and re-program to stock at the same time?

Should I contact Brenspeed and ask for a tune that does not disable the 02 sensors?

Should I revert back to stock and just let it run, crappy as it might be, and let it present the codes? I mean, maybe in the last 7 months I actually have an 02 sensor problem, and since my 06 is still under warranty the dealership should troubleshoot and replace.

If I do revert to stock tune, should I also put the stock airbox back on? Would this make a difference? (I personally don't care if the dealer knows I have a CAI.)

yeah, thats your problems.....the point of the tune is to accomadate for the CAI. You are not suppose to run the CAI without the tune
Old 01-13-2008, 11:42 AM
noober
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jlaurens06gt

*Ran rough down low.

But they do. If they see "too lean" codes flying everywhere, usually their first looking point (especially on Mustangs) is the air filter/MAF sensor. Once they see a CAI, they'll close the hood and ask you to pull out your wallet, not Ford's.

Run the tank empty, put in 87, reinstall your stock air box, and bring your car back to stock. That should fix it up.

.... This is my guess. If I'm right, then let's put it this way: I've learned a LOT from these forums.
Old 01-13-2008, 11:44 AM
NickSezz
4th Gear Member

Lol...Yeah you missed the simple problem...You left the intake in! After all the reading you did, you missed the most important part. Put the stock airbox back in and reset the computer by taking off the negative battery terminal for a few seconds. Should fix your problem right away.
Old 01-13-2008, 11:51 AM
vack75
3rd Gear Member

As far as the PA Emissions go, Don't sweat them. They don't actually hook your car up to anything but the gas cap thing. As long as you have CATS, and Mufflers your golden.

I live Near Pittsburgh and just had mine done in December.

C&L Intake, Brenspeed 93 Octane, and SLP Loudmouths, I passed fine.

I spoke to the guy running the state inspection station and he told me (becasue I told him I was thinking of LT's) he said just make sure you keep your CATS. If not you will need to fall under the 5,000 miles or less per year to pass.
Old 01-13-2008, 03:36 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: vack75
As far as the PA Emissions go, Don't sweat them. They don't actually hook your car up to anything but the gas cap thing. As long as you have CATS, and Mufflers your golden.

I live Near Pittsburgh and just had mine done in December.

C&L Intake, Brenspeed 93 Octane, and SLP Loudmouths, I passed fine.

I spoke to the guy running the state inspection station and he told me (becasue I told him I was thinking of LT's) he said just make sure you keep your CATS. If not you will need to fall under the 5,000 miles or less per year to pass.
vack75 - You do notsay they did a OBD test during your emissions test. This is probably due to the county you live in. Here is a PA website that indicates what each county in PA requires for emissions: http://www.dep.state.pa.us/aq_apps/emissions/test.htm

The OP (jlaurens06gt)says he lives around Philly, thus an OBD test will probably be required.I am not exactly sure what all info they pull but I read somewhere that any current/active codes will be reported plusany previous codes, i.e your car has a memory. Again...I am fuzzy on thisbut I think this may be why some folks say to disconnect the battery for a few minutes, then drive the car for a couple days w/o anyCELs thrown, then go for the test. If anyone knows more about this I hope they can fill us in.

Also, I'd like to hear back if Brenspeed does automatically disable the rear O2 sensors. I know they do this for certain applications: off-road pipes, Long Tubes. But I didn't think that was the case for stock exhaust.

I'm going to subscribe, I really hope you post back with what you find out and the results of the test. Thanks.
Old 01-13-2008, 03:48 PM
jlaurens06gt
2nd Gear Member

Sheesh. I missed the basic issue. In my business we call that "Layer 1" i.e.physical connections, power, BASIC stuff. Oh well.

That still got me wondering about an 02 sensor issue, so I have removed CAI, re-installed stock airbox and flashed back to 'stock'. Runs fine.....just seems sluggish....guess I got spoiled by the tune.

Thanks Argonaut, I also checked that site. I am in Montgomery co. so I have like all 6 tests done, including theOBD report and history. Guess I willdisconnect power to clear the memory to eliminate those codes just in case.

Will report back after Weds.
Old 01-13-2008, 04:14 PM
brendend
4th Gear Member

i ran my cai with the stock tune and had the same problems. so the stock air box is back on and 0 problems... other then the fact shes misfireing
Old 01-13-2008, 08:01 PM
jmk3
3rd Gear Member

Try to put at least 50 miles on it before your test or the self test won't be complete and you will fail.
Old 01-13-2008, 08:57 PM
vack75
3rd Gear Member

great site, But yes I'm in Cambria County, thus only visual and gas cap.

Quick Reply: getting ready for PA emissions, TOO LEAN codes