Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CALLING ALL BLACK STANGS!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 07:14 PM
Blackhawk
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: CALLING ALL BLACK STANGS!!!!

ORIGINAL: blackout

I personally use a towel called the "Absorber" to dry my car off. I pull my car into the garage while drying and have no problems with waterspots.

If you are in direct sunlight you are going to have problems with waterspots no matter what. I'm in FL so I would know all about that and yes my car is black!

-Jeff
When I worked in 'detail and new car prep' for a big BMW, Caddy, Volvo dealership. We always used the 'Absorber' as well with very good results.
Old 01-13-2008, 07:14 PM
Bluestar
5th Gear Member

The BEST way to prevent water spots on a Black Car is this.........Just keep washing it, don't stop....you're gonna have to wash it again in twenty minutes anyway.
Old 01-13-2008, 07:17 PM
PiggySmallz
3rd Gear Member

that's the truth too. As soon as I'm done washing it's covered in dust
Old 01-13-2008, 07:22 PM
One Bad Stang
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: PiggySmallz

that's the truth too. As soon as I'm done washing it's covered in dust
+1000, that does suck. but thats also where a light use of the california car duster comes in. works great. or you could just do a top speed run really quick.
Old 01-13-2008, 07:47 PM
surfbum7190
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rford426

i just waxed and clay bared her about two sundays ago so its not that...and i always wash my car as the sun is going down....i have a really nice leaf blower i might just start doing that....but i do have some little spider web looking things in my paint do i need a good buff?
whats claybar?
Old 01-13-2008, 07:56 PM
ThumperMX113
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: surfbum7190

i just waxed and clay bared her about two sundays ago so its not that...and i always wash my car as the sun is going down....i have a really nice leaf blower i might just start doing that....but i do have some little spider web looking things in my paint do i need a good buff?
whats claybar?
It's a piece of clay that you glide across the paint using a spray wax, quick detailer for lubrication purposes. The point is that the clay bar lifts and remove containments as well as the previous wax to leave you a clean surface for detailing. Clay baring leaves the paint much much smoother as well.
Old 01-13-2008, 08:00 PM
mynameismike65
4th Gear Member

I wash it in the morning when its cool and the suns not really hot....then I dry it very very fast in the shade. If any spots occur then I use a qwik spray detailer....which works very nicely BTW.
Old 01-13-2008, 08:35 PM
kenthicken
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: kenthicken

Did you clay bar and THEN wax, or wax then clay bar?
clay bar then wax
Just making sure!
Old 01-13-2008, 08:56 PM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

Your probably scratching your car as you wash. What are you using to wash the car with? I use three lambs wool mitts for each wash. I have one i use for the upper half of the car one for the middle sections and then one for the rocker panels. You also need to be using a rinse bucket as well as the wash bucket and rinse the mitts in between each wash step.

Here is a great link with loads and loads of info to help you maintain that car and keep it looking it's best.

http://www.autogeek.net/detailingtips.html

Old 01-13-2008, 09:00 PM
exx1976
5th Gear Member

Wash (with dawn dish soap - first wash of season, otherwise, Blackfire soap - USE A DEBRIS FILTER IN THE BUCKET!!!)
Blackfire Poly Clay (beginning of each season)
Wash (Blackfire soap)
Blackfire Gloass Enhancing Polish (beginning of each season)
Blackfire All Finish Paint Protectant (beginning of each season)
Blackfire Ivory Carnauba Paste Wax (once a month)
Blackfire Ivory Carnauba aerosol spray detailer/wax

As you can tell, I'm pretty partial to the Blackfire line. It works. VERY WELL. No I don't work for them. LOL

This pic was taken after a clay and polish, no protectant or wax yet. http://mustang.dnsalias.com/pics/lis...d=wvcrlfdhqchqSame with this one. http://mustang.dnsalias.com/pics/lis...d=hanmuaetmyqq That's what my garage door looks like reflected in my hood.
After wax: http://mustang.dnsalias.com/pics/lis...d=keknimqrvlql

Sorry about the crappy pics, they were taken with my cell phone.

As for keeping water spots off the car, I use a California Jelly Blade, and then I have three (yes, three) Big Blue MF drying towels (http://www.properautocare.com/bigbludryint.html)

After drying it the best I can, I take it for a quick high-speed run, then when I get home I use a BARELY damp MF rag to get rid of the water spots, then commence with the rest of the process above.

It's a rather back-breaking process, and the first time going through it, top to bottom, takes an entire weekend (the clearcoat protectant needs to sit for 8 hours to bond to the paint). That first time through I usually do 2 coats of carnauba. Then once a month it gets another layer of carnauba.

I've been thinking about gettinga porter-cable though to make my life easier.. Who here has one? I've never used one before.. Rate the ease of use a for a newbie??

Quick Reply: CALLING ALL BLACK STANGS!!!!