Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension Impressions - a rookie's report

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 07:35 AM
ink003
3rd Gear Member

Default Suspension Impressions - a rookie's report

I should begin with a disclaimer: I am by no means a gear head. Prior to buying my Stang last March, I had an interest in cars, but lacked the drive to explore that interest. Now, of course, that has all changed. Like so many of you, I am happily obsessed.

I mention this because my review will be lacking in many technical ways I’m sure. I won’t be able to provide any numbers, nor will this critique be picked up by Car & Driver[/i] any time soon for its thoroughness. I can only provide for you an honest and somewhat inexperienced impression of what it’s like to drive my car.

That being said, here’s what’s been done:

Performance:

BBK CAI & Brenspeed 93 octane tune
Pro 5.0 short shifter
Borla full exhaust system[/ol]
Suspension & Handling:

OEM GT500 front strut tower brace
Spohn rear 1” sway bar
CHE K-member w/. torque limiters
Spohn LCA’s
BMR LCA relocation brackets
Spohn adj. phb
BMR ph brace
Eibach pro-kit
Tokico D-specs[/ol]
To be honest, as the parts were being installed yesterday by a friend, I was a little nervous: since I’m not all that knowledgeable yet (though these forums have most definitely helped me to vastly improve my understanding of the Pony and its many parts), I wondered if I would notice a difference after install. Well, the answer is a resounding yes, I notice the change, and what a huge change it is! [8D]

I can, without exaggeration, say that the car feels like an entirely different machine. From the momentI got back behind the wheel and put her into first, I was shocked. At the moment, the rear shocks are set as stiff as they can go, and the front struts are at the factory setting, somewhere in between. Holy f’in responsive! The car feels glued to the road and absolutely solid – there is no body roll or flex whatsoever. I never noticed it before, but now because of how strong the rear seems, the car feels like it’s even faster, like it’s being pushed forward without any power loss; the wheels eat into the pavement like they never did before. And oh man, when I looked at all the stock parts after the new am parts were put on, ha! They really looked sad in comparison.

I’ve definitely had to adjust my driving – the rear end just loves to come right out from behind me now, but that’s not a problem properly handled. And of course I feel every bump, but I kinda like that. After a few more days, I might decide to dampen the rear shocks a bit so it’s not so bouncy in the cabin, but other than that, I couldn’t be happier. Now I feel as if I’m really driving around in a muscle car! (Not to mention the fact that the Stang looks mean as hell with its lowered stance! Pics to come.)

So, my review is very, very positive. If you already have a cai + tune and you’re wondering what to do next, UPGRADE YOUR SUSPENSION. I know the desire for more power via headers, pulleys, etc. is strong, but do yourself and your Mustang a favor and improve its handling first – you will not regret it!

I hope this amateur review is helpful to fellow noobs like me, and thanks again to this wonderful forum, all you members, and the mods for making this an informative and welcoming online community. If it weren’t for you, I wouldn’t be in so much debt – I mean, my car wouldn’t be half as sick as it is now! And please don't hesitate to ask me any questions if there's something I didn't mention above. Thanks!
Old 01-16-2008, 08:55 AM
hogpowr
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Suspension Impressions - a rookie's report

Sounds good, have fun!
Old 01-16-2008, 09:02 AM
PiggySmallz
3rd Gear Member

sounds good, but shouldn't the rear end come out less with the suspension upgrade? I too will be upgrading this weekend or next with BMR lowering kit, BMR billet aluminum lower control arms and Tokico D Specs
Old 01-16-2008, 09:10 AM
ink003
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: PiggySmallz

sounds good, but shouldn't the rear end come out less with the suspension upgrade? I too will be upgrading this weekend or next with BMR lowering kit, BMR billet aluminum lower control arms and Tokico D Specs
the rear is just so solid now, it tends to kick out a bit like it didn't before. my buddy who did the install said when he took it out and pulled a u-turn, it was ridiculous. he practically spun around but it's not that it feels out of control, just much stiffer, so more responsive.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:14 AM
SaddleUp
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ink003

I should begin with a disclaimer: I am by no means a gear head. Prior to buying my Stang last March, I had an interest in cars, but lacked the drive to explore that interest. Now, of course, that has all changed. Like so many of you, I am happily obsessed.

I hope this amateur review is helpful to fellow noobs like me, and thanks again to this wonderful forum, all you members, and the mods for making this an informative and welcoming online community. If it weren’t for you, I wouldn’t be in so much debt – I mean, my car wouldn’t be half as sick as it is now! And please don't hesitate to ask me any questions if there's something I didn't mention above. Thanks!
Wow....I am impressed!Since recently acquiring your love for your Mustang, you have really made it happen! I have to say you should pat yourself on the back for doing that little Stang up right..........despite how much thinner your wallet may feel. After all, would you really trade that feel you get when you drive it now? Of course not!

Thanks for sharing with us! Good job! s ~
Old 01-16-2008, 09:22 AM
PiggySmallz
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: PiggySmallz

the rear is just so solid now, it tends to kick out a bit like it didn't before. my buddy who did the install said when he took it out and pulled a u-turn, it was ridiculous. he practically spun around but it's not that it feels out of control, just much stiffer, so more responsive.
interesting, I guess I'll need to be a little more careful when I get on it through turns
Old 01-16-2008, 09:50 AM
ink003
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SaddleUp

Wow....I am impressed!Since recently acquiring your love for your Mustang, you have really made it happen! I have to say you should pat yourself on the back for doing that little Stang up right..........despite how much thinner your wallet may feel. After all, would you really trade that feel you get when you drive it now? Of course not!

Thanks for sharing with us! Good job! s ~
hey, thanks a lot saddleup for the kind words! i have definitely tried to make the pony even better since last spring, thanks mostly to all the good advice that i get here. it's been a blast, and i think it's coming along well. and i agree, i definitely wouldn't trade a thicker wallet for my stang as it is! [8D]
Old 01-16-2008, 10:13 AM
grampa_stang
4th Gear Member

I think the upgrade is a good choice. I think what you're encountering is referred to as oversteer.
To me, your back end should not break lose that easily. I'm no expert by any means but I watch
NASCAR...lol
Old 01-16-2008, 10:20 AM
ink003
3rd Gear Member

yup, definitely some oversteer - any way to counteract that force? besides better driving? (not that i'm complaining - it's not a problem at the moment)
Old 01-16-2008, 10:20 AM
ohskigod
2nd Gear Member

I'm hoping for a similar improvement when I get the Salleen Watts link put in. Supposed to make a significant difference in the handling of the car, especially in hard turning and bumps. Its supossed to keep the rear very straight too, so you might want to look into it if the rear breaking lose thing gets to be a hassle down the road.

it's pricey though.

I'm tweaking the suspension even before I do engine mods, so I hear where your coming from on there benefits. I want my car to handle as best I can get it

Quick Reply: Suspension Impressions - a rookie's report