Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock auto trannied burnout...

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 12:57 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Stock auto trannied burnout...

Troll or extremely wet behind the ears noob alert!!!
Old 01-17-2008, 01:22 PM
06Saleen3V
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: gnrpatience

Can you explain how to do a good burnout in manual ?

I know this isnt detailed but ESSENTIALLY, put it in first, rev it up and dump the clutch.....once again, I KNOW this isnt detailed but it works (I dont do burnouts a lot but have done one or two)
Old 01-17-2008, 01:31 PM
MustanggnatsuM

I would like to see that as well.
Old 01-17-2008, 01:33 PM
RED121572
4th Gear Member

I remember stomping on mine a few times before any mods. I couldnt get the tires to lay down much of a patch at all.
Old 01-17-2008, 01:40 PM
gearhed289
1st Gear Member

I once had a 1972 Grand Prix and you could stand on that thing and it wouldn't move an inch. Tires just sitting there going up in smoke.
Ha ha, sounds like my '73 Ranchero!
Old 01-18-2008, 03:00 AM
Baddog
4th Gear Member

Thanks you guys. You settled the argument for me. I posted awhile back on my experiences trying to do said burnout and got flamed. Then a buddy didn't believe me. Since I no longer have the S197 GT in my possesion I could'n't prove it, I reached out to you to prove my point. Thanks for your responses, unfortunately I can't share my wager winnings with you as I have no idea who you are but I promise to sink a beer for every member who didn't B.S 100ft stripes. Cheers...
Old 01-18-2008, 04:18 AM
Caution
5th Gear Member

Burnouts are great -- I wouldn't say I do them ofter but there are times that I get in my moods and just do it for the hell of it
Old 01-18-2008, 04:26 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

I dont do them often and did it more so before the S/C than after. I have to feather the pedal for the S/C or she just[sm=gears.gif]
Old 01-18-2008, 01:42 PM
Baddog
4th Gear Member

The point was, and what won me the $50 is that a stock auto S197 GT can't light them without brake assistance from a dead stop in a straight line. By just flooring it from idle my GT just hooked and took off, no spin, no squeal. I both liked and disliked that. On the one hand it makes for very efficient launches on dry pavement. On the other theres something to be said for how my friends '02 SS auto (bone stock with 3.43's I think, the shortest gear GM offered) puts down jet black stripes halfway through second without any help from the brakes to get things started. Just stand on it from idle and watch the madness in the rearview. I suppose the GT's inability to do this is a good thing out on the street for the auto tranny guys. It really takes the launch out of the equation. Thanks again...
Old 01-18-2008, 01:47 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Baddog

The point was, and what won me the $50 is that a stock auto S197 GT can't light them without brake assistance from a dead stop in a straight line. By just flooring it from idle my GT just hooked and took off, no spin, no squeal. I both liked and disliked that. On the one hand it makes for very efficient launches on dry pavement. On the other theres something to be said for how my friends '02 SS auto (bone stock with 3.43's I think, the shortest gear GM offered) puts down jet black stripes halfway through second without any help from the brakes to get things started. Just stand on it from idle and watch the madness in the rearview. I suppose the GT's inability to do this is a good thing out on the street for the auto tranny guys. It really takes the launch out of the equation. Thanks again...

Not lighting them up but my 10 foot scratch isn't chump change in this car with 3.31 gears and dog food and all. Where's the love?

Quick Reply: Stock auto trannied burnout...