Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shorty Antenna

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 09:46 AM
Blackhawk
2nd Gear Member

Default Shorty Antenna

I know this has been asked at least a 100 times before. And no I'm not a forum n00b, and I used the search funtion to find the 100 threads previous to mine. Problem is most of the info I found was older(6mos-1year), and when I clicked on a fe of the links people posted up as a good working shorty antenna, the links are no longer there, or the antennas were discontinued according to the sites.

So my new question is, what i the latest developments in the shorty antenna world for the S197?

I don't care if it's 8", 14", or whatever, as long as it's shorter than the stock 32" cb style atenna, AND the reception is still very good. I don't listen to the radio that often, but if/when I do, I don't want it to sound like they are playing vinyl records.
Old 01-19-2008, 09:48 AM
kngdaka
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Shorty Antenna

ORIGINAL: Blackhawk

I know this has been asked at least a 100 times before. And no I'm not a forum n00b, and I used the search funtion to find the 100 threads previous to mine. Problem is most of the info I found was older(6mos-1year), and when I clicked on a fe of the links people posted up as a good working shorty antenna, the links are no longer there, or the antennas were discontinued according to the sites.

So my new question is, what i the latest developments in the shorty antenna world for the S197?

I don't care if it's 8", 14", or whatever, as long as it's shorter than the stock 32" cb style atenna, AND the reception is still very good. I don't listen to the radio that often, but if/when I do, I don't want it to sound like they are playing vinyl records.
That you can do it yourself. I cut mine down to 14 inches, which is about level with the roofline. All it requires is a hacksaw, expoxy, and your time. Reception is exactly the same as the Pirate ship mast that I had before.
Old 01-19-2008, 09:50 AM
sailing220
4th Gear Member

I have an 8" shoroty antenna and my reception is fine. [/align]
Old 01-19-2008, 10:04 AM
grampa_stang
4th Gear Member

You can do it yourself.
Step 1. Cut antenna to desired length. I used a dremel w/cutting wheel
Step 1a. This is where I had to explain to my wife what I was doing after she came flying down the stairs
screaming WTF are you doing to the car now! (She likes the shorter look...whew!)
Step 2. To remove the little ball on the end. Vice grips to hold the antenna and pliers
(wrapped with duct tape or whatever) and twistthe ball off. It still may scratch
a little, but black paint will fix it right up.
Step 3. You may need to file the edge of the antenna a little before glueing the ball back on.
Old 01-19-2008, 10:12 AM
Blackhawk
2nd Gear Member

thanks, that appears the way to go.
Old 01-19-2008, 11:03 AM
Aziraphale
4th Gear Member

http://www.americanmuscle.com/14in-antenna.html

I love mine. I think the 8" is just too short and looks out of place. The 14" flows with the roof nicely and provides a bit better reception.
Old 01-19-2008, 11:09 AM
tungsten07
2nd Gear Member

i've got the 14" from american muscle and I agree in saying that it flows great with the roof line of the car. i cut mine down for awhile but I'm glad i bought the 14" because it's looks better than the stock antenna cut down. it doesn't havethat thin wire going down thewhole antenna like the stock one which I think makes it look much cleaner
Old 01-19-2008, 11:11 AM
2cokeman
5th Gear Member

Me too!
Old 01-19-2008, 12:17 PM
Kamalyn
1st Gear Member

I have the American Muscle 8" one - and recpetion on all stations I listen to is just fine - no problems at all and it looks great.
Old 01-19-2008, 04:02 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

I went to Autozone, bought a $7 antenna (no wire wrap)and cut it to ~12 in. Expoxied a ball on the end. A little gloss black paint. Looks good and I can still "roll back" to the stocker if ever the need.

Quick Reply: Shorty Antenna