Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trying to get rid of a tune

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 09:20 PM
cnewsom3
1st Gear Member

Default Trying to get rid of a tune

I bought my 05 GT mustang from a dealership, and the previous owner put a tune on the car. I have no idea what tune he put on the car. I hooked up my buddies tuner to my car the other weekend to put a tune on it and see how my car ran. But the tuner popped up a message saying that I needed to set my computer back to stock settings before I could put a different tune on it. I don't have any clue who owned the car before, the dealership wasn't able to give out that information. So I'm wondering what I can do to get the stock tune back on my car, or how to reset my computer,so I can buy a tuner and CAI for my car. And so that I can run the right fuel octane. Any help would be much appreciated.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:24 PM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Trying to get rid of a tune

Seems to me, that if you bought from a dealer, they should be responsible for reflashing the car back to stock.......

Old 01-23-2008, 09:31 PM
cnewsom3
1st Gear Member

I did take it back to the dealership, and they said there was nothing they could do. They said the sale was over. So I deff got hosed on that one. If I would have known that it had a tune to begin with, I would've made them reflash it. But now just trying to figure out if there is a way to get it back to stock on my own, or if I need to take it in tothe ford dealership.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:37 PM
brad281
4th Gear Member

Not sure if I'm reading this right? The buddies tuner that you hooked up? Does he already have a custom tune on his car? If he does and you tried using his tuner; and he didn't set his vehicle back to stock? Then his tuner wouldn't be able to work. Also, unless he has the same code, mods as you, his tune wouldn't work on your vehicle. Is your vehicle still under warranty? I remember reading about Ford doing comp. flash updates and many owners lost their tunes. This would work for ya.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:39 PM
xtremesaleen
2nd Gear Member

The dealer should be able to flash back no matter what, take it to another dealer and ask them to do it.. Completed sale or not ive had other vehicles flashed while in for service just to make sure everything was working properly when they had issues... No charge and no complaints from the dealer.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:42 PM
cnewsom3
1st Gear Member

My buddy sold his mustang a couple months ago and he did put the stock tune back on his car. He just tried putting the 93 octane tune on there, not a tune that was made for his car. I have heard that ford can reflash your computer and get that tune off the car and back to stock, but don't know if that is completely true or not. Or if there is a way for me to do it myself.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:43 PM
surfbum7190
3rd Gear Member

to settle this you should go marching back to the dealership pissed off and demand them to fix it cause that is total bull****.... but your buddies tuner prob wont work on your car unless he returns his car back to stock with the tuner cause when you use the tuner on a car the tuner locks up with the serial number on your car so you can use the tuner on any other car (scam by the companies so everyone has to buy a tuner) but you should try havin your buddy return his to stock then use it. if not call one of the tuner companies like bama or brent and see if they have any suggestions
Old 01-23-2008, 09:47 PM
cnewsom3
1st Gear Member

So xtremesaleendo you work at a dealership? I see that you put when other vehicles were in for service and there was no charge. Cause i've heard that ford will charge you like money to do a diagnostic test on it and to reflash it. But if you're saying that there is no charge, then I'm going to go in there with that mind set and get them to reflash it with no charge. And no it's not still under warranty, over the 36 months, not the miles though.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:53 PM
xtremesaleen
2nd Gear Member

i dont work at a dealer, just been to enough lol

Bitch enough and theyll do it.. they lost a customer if they dont. and one bad experience and ppl tell 10 friends. When did u buy the car?

Correct me if im wrong...

When u buy a tuner, there are pre-made tunes for "Ford cars AB&C" when you hook it up to a car it programs THAT car into its memory. I know that with the SCT tuner i got i can program up to 4 different cars on it. but each must be flashed back to its stock program before tuning the next. If it was a custom 93 tune, it was made for his car.

Thats what ford will do, Flash an update for your car which wipes out any previous memory of a tune or not and installs fresh all over again.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:02 PM
cnewsom3
1st Gear Member

I actually bought the car about 6 months ago, so it's been a while. But just recently found this problem. And yeah I don't know if the tune on his tuner was a custom one for his car or not. But I'm pretty sure it was just the regualar 93 octane tune. I'm going to go to the dealership this weekend and give them a little bitching from me, see if I can't get something out of them. But another bad thing is, I bought it from a dodge dealership. So i'll just have to take it to another ford dealership and see what they say.

Quick Reply: Trying to get rid of a tune