Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drop in K&N

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 10:45 PM
2008GrabberGT

Default Drop in K&N

OK here's the deal... I know the drop in filter isn't the way to go on these cars, but rather CAI/tune is the best bang for the buck. The budget currently will not support doing this mod anytime in the near future (neither will the wife) But I was thinking that I could slip in a drop in k&n filter to try and get a little hp gain and possibly a little mpg gain. Has anyone installed a drop in filter and noticed any results. I'm more interested in the mpg gain more than anything at this point and the wife will be the main driver, so therefore her foot is lighter than mine and she may see a gain if there is one to be had.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:48 PM
Dwisforme05
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Drop in K&N

i wouldnt count on it. its not going to be anything you can feel.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:52 PM
oshkoshbajawsh
I ♥ Acer

waste of money
Old 01-23-2008, 10:59 PM
08Steeda
3rd Gear Member

I disagree. I had stock Mustangs until my latest Steed. I did notice a bit of a difference with a drop-in K&N and it was actually a little throatier. Not sure about MPG but you pick up like 3 or 4 HP by using the drop-in K&N. I also kept 2 - Because all my past Mustangs were DD I cleaned it out every month or so. I did the K&N's because of the long term savings and improved filtration over an OEM drop-in. I did not do it for the HP. Although some would say any gain is better than no gain!

Make sure you clean and oil them properly and they will last a lifetime. I just did not want to wait the hours it would take after cleaning it for it to dry and then oil before I could drive my car again. Hence the 2 filters.

I also saw a dyno shop prove this with an F-150 and the drop in K&N. It does allow it to breathe better and increases some aspiration.

However the gains from a CAI/Tune are very noticeable and as you said "Bang for the buck" a great first mod!
Old 01-23-2008, 11:19 PM
noober
3rd Gear Member

If you need to justify getting a CAI+Tune (which you need to...) tell her it'll increase the gas milage.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:38 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

I agree I use the K&N drop in filters on all my cars and on this stang I have now before the S/C. I did notice a different sound and feel but it was minimal to say the least and in time you will forget it is there. Nice to not have to replace ever for the life of the car and in the long run saves a few bucks in gas and paper filters from the factory. So go ahead and enjoy....maybe 40 bucks I believe for the drop in K&N..... money well spent if you have only a very limited buget IMHO....J

ORIGINAL: 08Steeda

I disagree. I had stock Mustangs until my latest Steed. I did notice a bit of a difference with a drop-in K&N and it was actually a little throatier. Not sure about MPG but you pick up like 3 or 4 HP by using the drop-in K&N. I also kept 2 - Because all my past Mustangs were DD I cleaned it out every month or so. I did the K&N's because of the long term savings and improved filtration over an OEM drop-in. I did not do it for the HP. Although some would say any gain is better than no gain!

Make sure you clean and oil them properly and they will last a lifetime. I just did not want to wait the hours it would take after cleaning it for it to dry and then oil before I could drive my car again. Hence the 2 filters.

I also saw a dyno shop prove this with an F-150 and the drop in K&N. It does allow it to breathe better and increases some aspiration.

However the gains from a CAI/Tune are very noticeable and as you said "Bang for the buck" a great first mod!
Old 01-24-2008, 12:08 AM
owero01
5th Gear Member

My friend has one and he noticed the difference.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:14 AM
07 Shelby GT
2nd Gear Member

I put one in my 01 GT and noticed a slight sound change, but not any power. I disagree with others telling you it's a waste of money. K&N are for the lifetime of the car. Add up how many air filters you're going to go through and I think you will see it pays for itself. As for gas mileage...I can't imagine it affecting that much.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:22 AM
JasonIsAGeek
1st Gear Member

I just put one in about a week ago. It seemed a little more responsive, but that could've just been placebo effect. I wish I had bought one when I did my first air filter replacement. They last forever and you're not contributing to the growing mounds of landfill by tossing out the paper ones. CAIs are fine and dandy, but I've already decided my first engine mod is going to be a SC. Just skip right to the chase so to speak. I'm fine with the current power for now.

On the other hand, I am seriously considering a CAI for my wife's car. Holy crap that thing is slow. Don't want to lose too much mpg though.
Old 01-24-2008, 03:21 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

I didn't want to keep throwing out old, dirty filters and having them go straight into our landfills, so I switched to drop-in K&N. I think I am getting slightly better mpg, maybe 1mpg, but no noticable power gains. Would need over 10rwhp to notice a gain anyway.

Quick Reply: Drop in K&N