Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did I get a good deal?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2005, 10:05 PM
Dare
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Did I get a good deal?

8 dealers? What was your strategy, did you tell the sales people you could get a better deal at x y z dealer? The only time I was able to haggle with an auto saleman was to add on a bunch of "freebies" or something. It gets to the point where you're spending multiple weekends to save a few hundred dollars and it's not worth it.
Old 03-27-2005, 11:06 PM
Fatblazer
1st Gear Member

Well, First off I live in Mass. Where for some reason GT's are just not available. The most I saw on any one dealer lot was 2 in stock, Either a) they were already sold or b) not the color I wanted and or c) they wanted too much over sticker in my mind. I test drove the car once at a local dealer and it wasnt the color I wanted. I didnt want to wait to order one so I searched for a dealer that had the one I liked. Told them lets "talk turkey" no need to test drive I want to buy. If they see you are very serious you will have the upper hand. I was firm with my reasonable counter offer and they called me back accepting it, after I walked out the door. Don't be afriad to walk out, they want to sell the car more than you want to buy it. trust me.
Old 03-27-2005, 11:36 PM
kevdusmc

I went to several SoCal dealerships this weekend and the best deal I found (after much haggling and walking out) was 1k over invoice. They all had them marked up 3-5k for "market adjustment." I was offered invoice for a GT, but it had 350 miles on it and they could not give me a straight answer on why that was. I was tempted to pull the trigger on it, but they weren't being straight with me. The search continues...
Old 03-28-2005, 09:01 AM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

ORIGINAL: graphicguy

If your numbers are right, then anything below MSRP is a good deal considering some of the stuff I've been reading around here. Forget trying to get invoice (or below invoice). This car is just "too hot" for that to happen.
??? you mean anything that's even AT MSRP is a good deal.
Old 03-28-2005, 09:25 AM
Marauder8
1st Gear Member

Mustang GT Convertible on Cape Cod $3,000 over sticker (31000). Supply and demand. This is the first convertible sold on Cape Cod.
Old 03-28-2005, 11:56 AM
graphicguy
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nanaki

ORIGINAL: graphicguy

If your numbers are right, then anything below MSRP is a good deal considering some of the stuff I've been reading around here. Forget trying to get invoice (or below invoice). This car is just "too hot" for that to happen.
??? you mean anything that's even AT MSRP is a good deal.
nanaki....from what I'm reading here and on other forums, and have heard from other dealerships around me, that right now, MSRP seems like a good deal.

Now, when I ordered (X plan), it was during one of the worst winters in recent memory. When I walked into my dealership, it was in the middle of a snowstorm (that was fresh from coming off another previous bad snow storm). Not a customer in sight....just a bunch of dealership employees milling about. They offered me X plan on an order (since they didn't have any in stock) in pretty short order.

But today, spring time.....when sports car sales are heating up? I think it would be much harder (if not impossible) to make the deal I made around here. There still isn't any stock (at least on GTs and convertibles), V6 sales are heating up, too. Many dealers in my area have no more allotment of '05s and are taking orders for '06s. Most dealers already have deals on all the remaining GTs they have coming in for stock, too.

Based on all of that, seeing what's happening in my 'burg and what I read here, then MSRP is the going rate. Anything below that should be considered a "deal".
Old 03-28-2005, 12:20 PM
kevdusmc

ORIGINAL: Buckskin

I went to several SoCal dealerships this weekend and the best deal I found (after much haggling and walking out) was 1k over MSRP. They all had them marked up 3-5k for "market adjustment." I was offered MSRP for a GT, but it had 350 miles on it and they could not give me a straight answer on why that was. I was tempted to pull the trigger on it, but they weren't being straight with me. The search continues...
Old 03-31-2005, 02:56 AM
dwcinga

Buy 'em where you find 'em - if you find color & equipment you want (or even close). I don't think anyone can get the "upper hand" in most locales on a GT. I live in rural Georgia, and even here, there were three people waiting in line (literally - as in "can I sit in your car?") to buy, had I not been willing to pay MSRP. OF course, what I paid is now over $600 below currrent MSRP, too. There hasn't been another Torch Red GT coupe, on any lot in north Georgia, since I bought mine two months ago.
Old 03-31-2005, 02:52 PM
Whitey_McNasty
2nd Gear Member

I ordered mine for $26,545 and the dealer told me that they were planning on increasing the price of the GTs between $3000 and $5000 on top of MSRP. They said they were doing this because Ford recommended that they do it and other dealerships were doing it as well.

I know this may sound screwed up but; I wish they would increase the price through the roof. That way there will be less people buying them which means fewer on the streets and it would mean that Ford would be able to keep up with production. But I say that because I already have mine ordered and my price locked in.

My Price = $26,545
My Car = GT, Mineral Gray, IUP w/ MyColor, Dark Charcoal / Red Leather, Manual, Stock Radio (being replaced), Stock 17" Wheels (being replaced).

Also sold my 02 V6 for $10,000 and received $800 tax credit on my new 05 GT. I could have gotten more for my '02 but I was selling it to a friend.
Old 03-31-2005, 03:59 PM
LimeStang05
2nd Gear Member

At Billingsly Ford (Lawton, Ok), they have four verts on the lot today! Two are GT's. They also have three or four v-6 coupes. I bought my GT there for 1% over invoice(not MSRP). $23,580 with dealer added dual stripes. In oklahoma there are no sales taxes. We have excise tax when you get to the tag office (about $800).

Quick Reply: Did I get a good deal?