Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cams

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 09:57 AM
jerseyblood
2nd Gear Member

Default Cams

Can u guys help me with the following questions?
Which are the best?
What can I expect in HP gains?
Will there be any problems in the future if I decide to go FI?
Old 01-24-2008, 10:18 AM
ratnacage
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Cams

I have Crowers which are similar in grind to the Comp Stage 3's. They're great, sound great (old school lopey idle and all). I gained about 40 rwhp. Peak tq didn't increase much, but it really flattened out the curve so there's more total tq available now. Gas mileage will take a significant hit though by about 5mpg. You also need to find a tuner that knows what the hell they're doing (I think Brenspeed has a good tune if you don't have good local guy).
Old 01-24-2008, 10:24 AM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

Generally speaking... The cams you'll use for NA will be very different from the cams for FI due to exhaust duration and other things (because im no expert).

BBR has a newer version of cam that people have liked lately...

Comp cams is good, maybe stage 4 for FI

People haven't been getting great gains from cams alone, but its a good supporting mod with other engine work or FI. A great tuner is needed to get the most out of cams.

Not worth the $2k price tag, or more, after cams, labor and tuning costs. Like I said, great as a supporting mod for bigger projects.

Sorry im not expert, just trying to chime in!
Old 01-24-2008, 10:30 AM
RedNyt GT
2nd Gear Member

Ive been debating on this for a long time. The average gains Ive heard of are typically 20rwhp which isnt all that great considering the cost. My local shop said they can do the install and the parts all for about $1500-1700. Seems like a lot of money for only 20hp. Although, their shop car has similiar mods as me and he said he got 30hp. So, are cams worth it ?
Old 01-24-2008, 10:31 AM
jerseyblood
2nd Gear Member

rat, I have all the same performance mods you do with the exception of the cams. Have you dynoed the car with the cams? I bought my intake/tune from Brenspeed and have been happy with it but the deeper I get into this I think I want to find someone local. I live in AZ and was told that AMP Motorsports was good so I might check them out. Thanks for the info.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:10 PM
ratnacage
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jerseyblood

rat, I have all the same performance mods you do with the exception of the cams. Have you dynoed the car with the cams?
I use Fastlane locally (Houston) for tuning. I went from 306rwhp to 350 rwhp (350 @ 6500rpm).
Old 01-24-2008, 01:22 PM
modaddict
4th Gear Member

Yeah - cam talk....

Okay, I have been researching cams for way too long now and here's the bottom line...

PLEASE NOTE I AM TALKING ONLY FOR FI APPLICATIONS HERE...

The XE261H-115.5 cams from COMP look better than any of their 'Stage' options IMO. Shorter duration on the exhaust than the "Stage 4" cams

222 intake duration @ .050
235 exhaust duration @ .050
.490" intake/ .480" exhaust
115.5 lsa

I like a 114 lsa much better (which the BBR are) but a lot of people don't know that COMP can and will change the LSA up to one and a half degree on any cams with a one week turnaround so I really like those above (especially on a stroked 4.6) with changing the lobe seperation angle (lsa) to 114

Now I haven't found any (yet- but soon...lol) but after talking to SD Wheeler and some other guys - I think the perfect set-up for a built stroker block would be...

.490/.490
227 intake / 237 exhaust
114 lsa

On a big stroker - that would make a HUGE difference IMO...

Old 01-24-2008, 01:31 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

Just a quick note on the cost: most long tube headers, catted mid-pipe and install is going to run you in the neighborhood of $2K. They provide roughly 30 HP with proper tune. So...it's not that different. 2K or less for a CAM install seems like an ok mod to me. Plus that sound is put pleasure.
Old 01-24-2008, 05:14 PM
jerseyblood
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ratnacage

rat, I have all the same performance mods you do with the exception of the cams. Have you dynoed the car with the cams?
I use Fastlane locally (Houston) for tuning. I went from 306rwhp to 350 rwhp (350 @ 6500rpm).
WoW thats pretty good. Any way you can hit 400rwhp N/A? Do you have any sound clips of your cams?
Old 01-24-2008, 05:20 PM
white07
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ratnacage

after i get my wheels and I get some more dough ill be up there to get a tune from them.

Quick Reply: Cams