Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ever Use SCT Live Link?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 03:28 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

Default Ever Use SCT Live Link?

I've had a BBK CAI and SCT XCal2 with Brenspeed tunes for months now. However, I never tried out the software that comes with the XCal. Did you know it can do data logging of info from your ECU? I didn't until now. I installed the Live Link software on my laptop and then took it out to the car. Plugged the XCal into the OBD port and then a USB cable from the laptop into the XCal. Fired up the Live Link software and it reads all the parameters available for logging.

Lots of choices: RPM, MAF load, O2 sensor voltage, fuel trims, fan speed, water temp, manifold pressure, etc, etc. You can choose up to 5 parameters and it will show you live displays. They look like virtual gauges along the top of the display and an X-Y axis graph at the bottom.

My first test I chose RPM and front O2 sensors (rears are off with Brenspeed tune) along with short term fuel trim and Open vs Closed loop Fuel/Air management. Took if for a spin with both highway cruising and a couple WOT.

It's very cool - the front O2 sensors are narrow-band AF monitors. They return a voltage between 0 and 1, with .45 volts being a perfect combustion. Less than .45 = Lean, greater than .45 = rich. You can see the values bounce up and down between rich and lean as the ECU adjusts the fuel ratio. When you hit WOT they quickly zoom to way rich and stay there until you let up. Like wise the ECU will go into open loop when you hit WOT (the AF ratio calculated from stored values rather than from the O2 sensors), as soon as you let up it goes back to closed loop (AF ratio dependent on O2 sensor readings).

I then did a second test, I installed the stock tune (BBK claims you can run their CAI with stock tune). Took it out for an easy spin, now I could monitor the rear 02 sensors. No troubles, AF ratio look real good, bounced around .45 volts again. No CELs thrown, granted I didn't go far and was easy on it.

All cool stuff, learned a lot. You guys with the XCal should give it a try.

Oh yea - the throttle response of the stock tune absolutely s**ks! Man...what a difference a good tune makes. Its almost frustrating when you blip the pedal and the stock tune has such a delayed response.
Old 02-03-2008, 05:59 PM
Toy4Bob
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Ever Use SCT Live Link?

Well, I tried. Just put CAI and Brenspeed tune in on Thursday, and this weekend tried to do as you did. The software locked up, and so did the SCT X3. Luckily I already have the tune in my car, and I was only able to get ahold of Brenspped right before closing Saturday. Not blaming them at all of course, just hoping they can "reboot" the X3 and make sure I still have tunes.

Think at some point I may get a dashhawk or that Aeroforce gauge that I think can provide same type of info w/o needing a laptop, much more convenient anyway.
Old 08-19-2008, 02:29 AM
magden auto

Default Virtual Gauges and datalogging, no laptop needed

Just wanted to let you know that we have a product that does what you are looking for. The M.1b Performance Computer connects to the OBD-II port and lets you see all those channels you want to monitor. You can datalog as well and replay it in the car. No laptop required or software that is hoping to work with vista or any windows based operating system.

There's a ton more it does, including adding additional sensors instead of adding complete gauges, which are a pain to install (we all know, we've been there...) We are rolling out support for other manufacturer's product support, so we can display their data on your LCD screen.

It also let's you customize the gauges by choosing from the layouts, skins and colors. I have some screen shots in my profile, but everything is on the website. If you have any specific questions, please let me know and we'll answer them. Thanks for your time!