Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I HATE rain!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 02:21 AM
Sprzout
4th Gear Member

Default I HATE rain!!!

No, this is not a general "my car slides all over the place" type of complaint, it's something most of us complain about...

My car is so freakin' FILTHY after this last rain that came through Sandy Eggo...

The quarterpanels, hood, and spoiler on the car all have hard water spots on it and I just don't want to try to clean it off until I KNOW that the storm is over with; I mean, who wants to wash their car within an inch of its life and then have it rain again 2 days later?!?

At any rate, I'm wondering if I should just really strip everything off (all the old wax, tree sap, etc) by doing a really good clay bar, or wait until spring after most of the rainy season's hit? I mean, is what's on there going to destroy the paint that much quicker than if I were to strip it down to the clearcoat and put wax back on?
Old 02-04-2008, 02:26 AM
Stang Skeleton
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: I HATE rain!!!

The more filth that accumulates and builds up around, on, and in the vehicle, the longer and harder it will be to remove the impurities throughout it. Though it may rain again, an inter-stage cleaning always helps with the proper products etc (rain-x etc for winter) and a heavier wax application for water repellence from the acidity in the rain. Not to mention, to wait until spring would be much too long. Also, if you can garage your vehicle, that is always ideal!
Old 02-04-2008, 02:30 AM
Sprzout
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Stang Skeleton

The more filth that accumulates and builds up around, on, and in the vehicle, the longer and harder it will be to remove the impurities throughout it. Though it may rain again, an inter-stage cleaning always helps with the proper products etc (rain-x etc for winter) and a heavier wax application for water repellence from the acidity in the rain. Not to mention, to wait until spring would be much too long. Also, if you can garage your vehicle, that is always ideal!
Wish I COULD garage it, but I've got a 1967 Jaguar E-Type that takes precedence over the GT...

Maybe (if the rain stops tomorrow) I'll strip it down and then throw a good coat of wax on it again...
Old 02-04-2008, 05:47 AM
bodyman
2nd Gear Member

I'll trade you for all the rain you've been geting for all the snow we've been gettng in the midwest....lol
Old 02-04-2008, 06:36 AM
RHuckster
2nd Gear Member

Don't leave hard water stains on your car, it will etch the paint, tree sap will more than likely stain the paint, it did on mine, also bird droppings need to be cleaned off as well.

Rick
Old 02-04-2008, 06:59 AM
oi8achevy
2nd Gear Member

water spots have ruined my vinyl stripes. even going to the car wash and spraying off the bulk of thecrap is better than nothing.
Old 02-04-2008, 07:24 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: RHuckster

Don't leave hard water stains on your car, it will etch the paint, tree sap will more than likely stain the paint, it did on mine, also bird droppings need to be cleaned off as well.

Rick
I keep a bottle of Meguiar's Detailing Spray and a Micro-Fiber towel in the truck just in case some bird flies over and decides to bomb it. Seagulls are the worst! When I see a flock of them I drive some place else to park.
Old 02-04-2008, 07:42 AM
cobra443
4th Gear Member

I have a huge gym bag in my trunk with all of my cleaning supplies. I spray detail the car everyday and give a good wipe down with a microfiber. Also I strip and re-wax once per month. I cant even stand to see dust on the car though, let alone any waterspots or droppings.
Old 02-04-2008, 08:03 AM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

Let me get this straight, you live in San Diego and you're complaining???[sm=violin.gif]
Old 02-04-2008, 10:03 AM
Sherwood06GT
4th Gear Member

Yesterday was the first day in about 4 weeks that it hasn't rained, or otherwise been altogether crappy! Washed the car finally. So, I have no sympathy for anyone who complains about a little rain every now and then!

Quick Reply: I HATE rain!!!