Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07 V6 has ABS???

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 10:39 AM
exx1976
5th Gear Member

Default RE: 07 V6 has ABS???

ORIGINAL:GidyupGo
...many folks who have gotten used to the modern systems simply have forgotten how to or never knew how to drive without such systems.
My point exactly. It's not necessarily better, it just helps the ignorant masses. If ABS were so great, it'd be on NASCAR and Indy Cars.. They always have the best of the best when it comes to safety and performance..
Old 02-06-2008, 11:32 AM
LX200
4th Gear Member

This tread is laughable. NOBODY can handle their cars braking better than ABS.... although it is very popular for mis-informed folks to think they are such great drivers they don't need it. No human can react to wheels locking up and unlocking as fast as an ABS module. If you think you can do it better, you just don't understand what it does. The ABS computer never sleeps... you have it there for times you are distracted, tired, talking on the phone, miss a wet spot, or just plain MAKE A MISTAKE.

As to Indy Car and Nascar, they DON'T put ABS on because they want the drivers to have to handle all the braking and they are COUNTING ON drivers screwing up and bad braking leading to overtaking chances. Formula One got rid of it because drivers were able to drive SO MUCH BETTER with it that is was IMPOSSIBLE to pass anybody as nobody made any braking errors going into the corners. ABS was taken away because an outstanding driver, coupled with ABS is IMPOSSIBLE to pass on a road course unless you have vastly better engine/chassis, which is not the case in Nascar or IndyCar or Formula One.

And if ABS is bad, why does every jet aircraft have it? You want that jumbo jet your landing in to have manual brakes and depend 100% on the pilot, or you want a sophisticated ABS system keeping you straight as you roll down the runway?

Why does every $50,000+ high performance car COME WITH IT, without the option to even take it off? Even Ferraris have it, and I believe some of the folks who buy them are very good drivers. ABS is left off of low end cars for marketing only..... it saves $500, and that's important for some cheap folks who don't have the ability to understand ABS.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:43 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

ORIGINAL: kdrshocker

cool, thanks for the info guys. i'm glad as hell my car dosn't have abs. great if ur a granny whodosn't know how to brake.every car i have ever own i would just take the abs fuse out of it. can't stand it.
You can double cheack under the hood.
On the drivers side right in front of the air cleaner
there would be a module with 7 or 8 hard metal
brake lines all going into the top of it.
No module =s no ABS.
Never liked it anyhow.
Do race cars have ABS?
Old 02-06-2008, 11:47 AM
kdrshocker
2nd Gear Member

i wasn't saying that everyone can drive, i was stating that ABS sucks, for multiple reasons. I undertand completly how the ABS system works. I would agree with exx, i don't want to be driving and trying to calculate an extra variable (the computer) when i'm driving.

thanks157db

and planes go in a straight line...
Old 02-06-2008, 12:17 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

i wasn't saying that everyone can drive, i was stating that ABS sucks, for multiple reasons. I undertand completly how the ABS system works. I would agree with exx, i don't want to be driving and trying to calculate an extra variable (the computer) when i'm driving.

thanks157db

Maybe crop dusters... Planes actually make a lot of turns to get to gates.. and they do it in rain, sleet, and snow.

Old 02-06-2008, 12:21 PM
mhconley
2nd Gear Member

NASCAR and Indy car "They always have the best of the best when it comes to safety and performance.. "

You gotta be f***in kidding right?

NASCAR cars run CARBURETED PUSH ROD V8's - ancient technology!

Indy cars have been dumbed down to be as cheap as possible. Ditto for Chump car...

Look at F1 - that is where the cutting edge technology is developed. ABS was banned by F1 because the car manufacturers who got it right were invincible in late braking for corners. The've banned traction control several times for the same reason - those who got it right were damn near invincible off the grid and out of tight corners. Next year evenmechanical traction control is gone.

ABS is great technology - I'll never buy another car without it.

Martin

Old 02-06-2008, 12:22 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

+1

Race cars also don't drive in traffic with varied weather conditions.

ORIGINAL: mhconley

NASCAR and Indy car "They always have the best of the best when it comes to safety and performance.. "

You gotta be f***in kidding right?

NASCAR cars run CARBURETED PUSH ROD V8's - ancient technology!

Indy cars have been dumbed down to be as cheap as possible. Ditto for Chump car...

Look at F1 - that is where the cutting edge technology is developed. ABS was banned by F1 because the car manufacturers who got it right were invincible in late braking for corners. The've banned traction control several times for the same reason - those who got it right were damn near invincible off the grid and out of tight corners. Next year evenmechanical traction control is gone.

ABS is great technology - I'll never buy another car without it.

Martin

Old 02-06-2008, 02:11 PM
LX200
4th Gear Member

You're right... when multi-ton jumbo jets touch down at night with low visibility on a rain slicked runway at 170 MPH, they go straight because of technology like anti-lock brakes. Not because of some dip-sh*t pilot who thinks he can do things better/faster than a computer.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:14 PM
kdrshocker
2nd Gear Member

the debate over abs being good or bad is almost as epic as the V6 vs the V8, or a 9mm vs a .45
Old 02-06-2008, 02:52 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

But everyone knows the .45 is better.. well...maybe accept people that prefer .40

the debate over abs being good or bad is almost as epic as the V6 vs the V8, or a 9mm vs a .45

Quick Reply: 07 V6 has ABS???