Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Color Keyed Mirrors?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 12:46 PM
Bullitt08

Default Color Keyed Mirrors?

Hi,

Looking inot an 08 Bullitt in green, but I want the mirrors color keyed. Can they be painted or do I need to go aftermarket?

Thanks
Old 02-06-2008, 12:48 PM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Color Keyed Mirrors?

had my '05 painted a few months ago at the dealer. $120, perfect job. there aren't many aftermarket options available anyways, and the only cool ones Ive seen (which are like stock but have a turn signal) arent available painted anyways.

There are covers but no covers cover the entire mirror.
Old 02-06-2008, 01:53 PM
Aziraphale
4th Gear Member

I just spoke to the owner of the paint shop i go to about painting my mirrors and he said that with the proper prep, they can be painted but will be extremely sensitive to rock damage. If they get a chip or anything the paint will come of in big chunks.

It was something about how the textured black plastic doesn't release all the chemicals and when it is baked after painting, it doesn't stick to the primer well. Hence it will look good but if it gets a chip, the paint will come off easily.
Old 02-06-2008, 01:58 PM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

I was told the same by the body shop AFTER I had mine painted Still, to be honest, i'm not feeling them too much anyway. I think they look better Black, certainly on my Silver. I'll probably ended up replacing them with stock Black items eventually.

Perhaps a darker colored car could handle it better, like your Bullit for example
Marcus
Old 02-06-2008, 02:12 PM
gothamems
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Aziraphale

I just spoke to the owner of the paint shop i go to about painting my mirrors and he said that with the proper prep, they can be painted but will be extremely sensitive to rock damage. If they get a chip or anything the paint will come of in big chunks.

It was something about how the textured black plastic doesn't release all the chemicals and when it is baked after painting, it doesn't stick to the primer well. Hence it will look good but if it gets a chip, the paint will come off easily.
Easy solution, they make 3M clear bra applications for mirrors, that is the way to go with no worries!
Old 02-06-2008, 02:27 PM
d4rb
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ohnoesaz

had my '05 painted a few months ago at the dealer. $120, perfect job. there aren't many aftermarket options available anyways, and the only cool ones Ive seen (which are like stock but have a turn signal) arent available painted anyways.

There are covers but no covers cover the entire mirror.
These cover the entire mirror. Just not the wing it's attached to.
http://wheelskin.com/dg-mc67306.html
Old 02-06-2008, 02:53 PM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

Right, the black textured plastic sucks... But thats why it must be sanded. Mine were sanded smooth before painting. Its been maybe 4-5 months of daily driving and no rock damage yet. i figure worst comes to worst they can always be painted again if something huge happened.
Old 02-06-2008, 03:53 PM
tungstenstang
4th Gear Member

you'd think some company would be smart enough to paint the entire mirror and sell them.
Old 02-06-2008, 04:35 PM
BadS197
Banned

We have 2005 - 2008 Ford Mustang Painted Window Full Mirror Covers available in color code PX - Dark Highland Green for $164.99 shipped. Plus don't forget to use coupon code MUSTANGFORUM05 at checkout to receive an additional 5% discount.
Old 02-06-2008, 04:43 PM
300GT
3rd Gear Member

I'm doing these in Vista Blue to match my car:

http://www.silverhorseracing.com/web...ategory_id=255

But if I had a Bullit (or any other limited edition car for that matter) I wouldn't change a thing about it. JMO.

Quick Reply: Color Keyed Mirrors?