Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The formula to your mid 12 Sec. Stang

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 11:52 AM
probinator
3rd Gear Member

Default The formula to your mid 12 Sec. Stang

Ok I see alot of posts about how to make your stang faster. Here is the Formula to make your stang a 12 second all motor beast.Or with the hit of the nawzzz 11's This should be a sticky mods. Alot to read but worth it for the newbs.

Intake and tune. Alot of them out there. "Brenspeed" great guys. There tunes rock. If I was themI would market this package as the "Probinator 12 sec.street/stripe package" here is order in which stuff to buy first.

INTAKE AND TUNE500.00-650.00I choose the C&L, there are cheaper ones. Its your choice. JLT makes a good one too. If you showed up at a Mustang meet with either one. No member would question your intake choice.

OFF ROAD X PIPE200.00 There are different companys that sell these. My experience with the pypes one sucked. Its a crap shoot when it comes to the pypes system some have had luck. I choosed off road meaning "no cats", because I dont have to smog my car for 4+ years, plus its not hard to take off and put on for smog purposes. This will net you a nice gain in power too.

MUFFLERS 0.00 I didnt buy any. I dont care if my car sounds sweet or drone or whatever about 3-5inch rolled chrome tips. I'm a racer and went for the stock look. Mufflers only = sound. Not HP.Now I'm not knocking the guys that spend the money on them. I'm here on a budget. With the off road pipe the exhaust will get louder in the higher rpms, and above 3k sounds nice with stock mufflers.

DELETE PLATES150.00 You will need a tune for these. If you buy from brenspeed, this tune will be free. So even though you might find them cheaper remember the tuning cost Good time to buy is when ordering the intake and tune.

At this point you have spent a nice chunk of change on performance.less then $1000.00and with the above mods your stang is a whole new beast rocking with about 30+RWHP. So browse around the forums, pay the credit card you just racked up for a coulple of months and read up on peoples crazy cars and educate your self. Now if your ready for a little more kick in the butt on a budget, read on.

UDP 200.00 I have the Steeda ones, there are some others like BBK or moto blue or GMS. Your saving maybe 20-30 bucks going to the other brands. Again they all do the same.I choose steeda. Also Guys dont be afraid to look for some of these items used and save a ton of money. The UDP when I bought them were a gift from me.This mod is a ok one, you could save the money and put it towardsthe next mod which is gears. Have the wife buy you these for anniversary or B-day or whatever.

The above mods should be able to be installed by you or a close buddy. If your not mechanically incline. Find someone. Go to a Mustang meet, and buy the guy that does his own work, a beer, or pay for his meal to help you out. Or find Taco bills write up's at the top.

GEARS600-900.00 I paid 600 for mine installed and went with 4:10's. Some shops charge more, or less so I put up to 900.00 I personally wouldnt pay more then 700.00 This is a well worth the money mod. If your concerned with gas or have doubts go with 3:73's but the 4:10's are great. At 80mph I'm at about 2900rpm's. Just do the 4:10's A key thing is make sure a shop has done gears. I would ask if they have done a couple s197's this is a tricky job.

Ok so with the above mods you should have a bill ofless then 1900.00
Now with a ok driver this should get you in the mid to high 12's. Traction permitting.

So your saying Probinator what about Styling or Suspension. I'm all about the stock looking look. No body kits, or GT500 front bumpers, wings, or louvers. or 20's or crazy paint jobs. If I had money for all thatI would have sucked it up, and bought a GT500 Again not knocking the people that have those mods. i do have some taste though.

SHORTY 14" ANTENNA 20.00 American muscle makes the best ones. Ebay ones suck.

HURST SHIFTER 180.00 bought from brenspeed. use lok tight and tight the bolt tight. Read up on this shifter.

SUSPENSION 170.00 Eibach lowering springs. I went with the pro kit. Also had a alignment done with camber bolts just to be safe. if you want it lower the Sportline kit is good but will difinatly need a alignment.

Trailing Arms 180.00 Spohn adjustable armswith poly bushing on both ends. With any adjustable arms there will be noise. These will also need to be tighted every 4-6 months. At least mine do. I also went with a adjustable pan hard but think it was a waste of money. Nothing changed whenI lowered my car.

Ok now you want to really start smacking chevys around. You no longer want to bench race and wonder if you will beat you buddy's GTO or a c6 Corvette. with intake and exhaust.

ZEX NITROUS WET KIT 569.00 from brenspeed. No tune required for nitrous if under a 125 shot. AllI do is take out the recomended timing, from the tuner.I personally run 89 tune with 91 gas and minus 6* timing across theRPM range in the tuner. Anymore then a 125 shot, and I would tune it.Also if you go above a 75 shot. You will need to go a step colder in plugs.Brenspeed offers a nitrous tune if you buy the kit from them. If you on a budget and started freaky out about the intake and tune cost but really want more power then this is it. A 75 shot of nitrous will make up all the power you made from the delete plates, udp, gears. off road pipe.

Hope this helps. With the nitrous 125 shot,and sticky tires I cant see why your stang cant see11's.

Old 02-10-2008, 12:28 PM
w1ck3dr1
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: The formula to your mid 12 Sec. Stang

nice! i have the 3.55's and i was wondering if there is a noticable difference if i go to 3.73. are there 3.90's for the s197's?
Old 02-10-2008, 12:32 PM
nbd13
2nd Gear Member

Great writeup thanks for the info.Two quick questions:

1. Where did you get the off road X pipe? If you were to get another one not from pypes where would you go?

2. So by the time you are done with all of these mods, before you add nitrous you are looking at like 30-40 HP gains right? Or am I not adding it right?

Thanks,

Nick
Old 02-10-2008, 12:44 PM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

Nice write up, some good info there.

One question though, how much are you getting from the shorty antenna do you reckon? [8D]
Old 02-10-2008, 01:08 PM
davesiar
2nd Gear Member

Aren't all gear installs the same? They are all 8.8 rears, just on different body styles.
Old 02-10-2008, 01:26 PM
blk07gt
2nd Gear Member

thanks alot man
Old 02-10-2008, 02:11 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

I would think all it would take is the gears/spray to get into the mid 12's, but great writeup!
Old 02-10-2008, 03:18 PM
sw07gt
4th Gear Member

Awesome write up.
Old 02-10-2008, 03:45 PM
rford426
4th Gear Member

few mods away form 12s i guess
Old 02-10-2008, 04:06 PM
06Redfire3V