Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Powered Antenna?

Old 04-01-2005, 02:46 AM
SpdSurfn

Default A Powered Antenna?

I just picked up my V6 Mineral Gray Mustang last week.

...but have had some of the usual issues. (i.e. FUEL TANK [:@], radio, and Active Alarm w/ the auto windows)

My first "practical" MOD I would like to do is to install a powered antenna (or a intergrated antenna). I have read some of the threads recommending shorter antennas, but ....

Does anyone know of a powered antenna for the 05s?

I have a cover (for my new dependent) and even the shorter antennas are to big for the cover I have. I also did not really want to put a hole in the cover, although it comes with a specific grommet for it.

Thanks
Old 04-01-2005, 03:23 AM
DAVE05GT
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: A Powered Antenna?

Wouldn't it be cheaper to sell your cover and buy a new one that fits than install an aftermarket power antenna? Or just unscrew the antenna when you have the cover on.

Old 04-01-2005, 03:36 AM
Dare
1st Gear Member

I believe there's an optimal length to an FM radio antenna -- like the FM wave height is 23.5 inches or something, so anything shorter than that will reduce the signal reception. I'd do a search and read up on this though. I don't know if there is any practical sense to this.
Old 04-01-2005, 04:19 AM
Redfire
3rd Gear Member

A power antenna would be cool tho. Gets rid of that ugly, stock thing that gets bent up in the car wash. I have one in my '97 CHEVY, [no hate mail please] pickup and its great lookin out the windshield and not seein that thing. Hell, I never put it up anyway cause I have the Sirius on all the time.
Old 04-01-2005, 11:47 AM
Professor Wizard
MF Moderator

POWER ANTENNA

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/S...&searchbtn.y=0

Where everyone looks first!

Well... almost everyone...

Some People ?

A few people?

OK... only me then!

he he

-PW
Old 04-01-2005, 11:48 AM
BigDaddyArt

Whatever you do, don't cut a hole in the cover. The cover I have for my Cougar has a hole in it for the antenna, and it lets so much crap leak through.
Old 04-01-2005, 11:54 AM
Redfire
3rd Gear Member

Nice try Prof!. But I think we want one tailored specifically to the car. Im sure one is in the works somewhere. But I wonder what kind of a bitch it would be to install. Funny how all this neat stuff is showing up for these cars, but the basic crap is takin forever. I cant even get a damn locking gas cap for it yet!. But I have a Stant number for it. The nice lady at Stant said its either 10510 or 11510. When it will be produced......who knows.
Old 04-01-2005, 12:16 PM
afixer
5th Gear Member

did he say car wash!
Old 04-01-2005, 12:51 PM
SpdSurfn

Thanks everyone that has chimed in here.

What do you think of maybe just leaving the antenna off and getting or making a plug for the hole for protection (nothing permanent of course). Then getting that mysterious AUX port working, since I usually only listen to CDs or my iPod anyway. Radio Shops are telling me no problem with adding a connection. I have a friend wih a Ford Exploder that did that, but they just attached a cable that hangs out 6 ft. It is a similar radio just not a 6 CD version. I would like to see a neater solution, like mounting a female port on the dash that I can plug in & out the cable. I know you loose AM/FM access but for as little as I use it, I can just leave the antenna in the car until need. A power antenna does that for me at the flip of a switch.

For now though I will just unscrew it like DAVE05GT suggested.

Old 04-01-2005, 01:00 PM
Dare
1st Gear Member

The antenna in my Oldsmobile Alero is inside the frame of the car, and the reception is fine, so yes a wire inside the car will work. Or even better, tape it up the side of the windshield out of sight. Use something better than masking tape tho.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A Powered Antenna?