Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For the people with 5pd standards...

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 01:03 AM
Black GT
4th Gear Member

Default RE: For the people with 5pd standards...

ORIGINAL: r3velation

ORIGINAL: 06Saleen3V

With the car off, the clutch system is disengaged so it is able to run through the gears. With the car on, one can still run through the gears without using the clutch but your clutch wont last long
i know that when the car is off, you can run the gears. what i meant was how can you easily run through the gears without depressing the clutch while the car is in motion. i have to yank the gear to get it, i've done it twice and i don't think my car likes doing it.
To do it properly you have to ease it slowly (with a slight pause while in neutral) when the synchros match speeds without using the clutch. Don't try it at high RPMs. If you do it right you won't even notice a difference (other than slower shifting). It all about the timing.

I can do it well enough on my F-150 to the point where passengers can't tell I didn't use the clutch. Then when I tell them "look, I'm not using my left foot" they say "how did you do that?"

Old 02-19-2008, 02:02 AM
r3velation
4th Gear Member

f150's came in stick?!? that's awesome.
Old 02-19-2008, 02:25 AM
2007calispecial
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Black GT

ORIGINAL: 06Saleen3V

With the car off, the clutch system is disengaged so it is able to run through the gears. With the car on, one can still run through the gears without using the clutch but your clutch wont last long
i know that when the car is off, you can run the gears. what i meant was how can you easily run through the gears without depressing the clutch while the car is in motion. i have to yank the gear to get it, i've done it twice and i don't think my car likes doing it.
To do it properly you have to ease it slowly (with a slight pause while in neutral) when the synchros match speeds without using the clutch. Don't try it at high RPMs. If you do it right you won't even notice a difference (other than slower shifting). It all about the timing.

I can do it well enough on my F-150 to the point where passengers can't tell I didn't use the clutch. Then when I tell them "look, I'm not using my left foot" they say "how did you do that?"

X2, can shift without grinding or missing with my beater car.176,000 miles and still a stock clutch.
I can do it in the mustang, but im usually using the clutch considering its brand new.
Old 02-19-2008, 06:51 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: apex18

I got a 5spd standard, firststandard car i have ever owned, actually this is the first car i have ever owned. So i'm not sure if this is right. When sitting on level ground with the car shut off, i can run through all the gears with ease and absolutly no resistence without have to push in the clutch, is this normal??
This much is reasonably normal, or at least is not abnormal. It only means that all the transmission internals (gears, synchros & hubs)are lined up close enough to let the different gears engage without putting up a fight.

06Saleen3V - the clutch is engaged except when you push the clutch pedal down. Whether the engine is running or not. Otherwise you'd never be able to leave the car in gear on a slight slope without also having to pull the handbrake to keep it from rolling.

Also, with driving i thought i would try to run through the gears without pushing in the clutch, and it goes almost as easy as when i push in the clutch, is that normal, i didn't think it was?? Might sound stupid but i though i'd check, thanks.
As BlackGT has said, it's certainly do-able, and it is a useful skill to have in a pinch (yes, I've been through a couple of clutch linkage failures). But if you aren't pretty close to perfect, every time, your transmission is taking a beating. Synchros in particular.

Pulling it out of whatever gear that you're in only requires that you take the load off the driveline. Lifting off the gas slightly is usually all that's necessary. Actually, anybody who frequently hurries their shifts for any reason (but still lifts off the gas going through the neutral) probably does a little of this without realizing it.

It's getting it into the next gear up that requires fairly precise timing and a bit of "feel".

It's even possible to downshift while driving without using the clutch, but unless you truly understand what rev-matching is all about I will guarantee that you get this one wrong almost every time.

Norm
Old 02-19-2008, 07:07 AM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

how is it that you can run the gears without depressing the clutch? that only works for me when i'm in high rpm and even then it doesn't sound pretty. maybe you should go check it out.

Ride with a trucker. He'll show you how.
Old 02-19-2008, 07:29 AM
Margarita Girl
Is the tide gonna reach my chair?

ORIGINAL: Norm Peterson
Pulling it out of whatever gear that you're in only requires that you take the load off the driveline. Lifting off the gas slightly is usually all that's necessary. Actually, anybody who frequently hurries their shifts for any reason (but still lifts off the gas going through the neutral) probably does a little of this without realizing it.
My 3rd gear gives me trouble sometimes even using the clutch.[&:]
Old 02-19-2008, 07:38 AM
digitalmixx187
1st Gear Member

I use the clutch to take off in 1st and then i can rev match it all the way to 5th gear, at or around 2000rpm, you can just slide it into the next highest gear.
Old 02-19-2008, 07:40 AM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

I once saw Richard Petty drive almost a 500 mile race without a clutch back in the 70's. Had to kill it coming into the pits, but they just pushed him to jump start it.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:16 PM
HazardSports
2nd Gear Member

I learned clutchless shifting when the clutch cable broke in my first car. Used to shut off the car and coast to the red light - put it in first - start it up in 1st with a little gas and buck slightly in first till I can rev match the next gear changes. It was easy to do when I was paying attention and TRYING; but, never did it easily and by accident. I used to let the gear I'm in rev a bit higher than usual and after slipping it out of gear (off the throttle) hold moderate tension on the shifter until the synchros decided when they'd let it slip into the next gear. If I short shifted - I would have to blip the throttle back to the higher RPM to allow the synchros to rev match for me, (always have to blip on a downshift). After getting used to watching for the RPM I was able to do it much quicker. Used to di it in myCRX and in my 89 mustang gt 5.0 T5.

What still AMAZES me is my friend who will drive my 06 Mustang GT - mash his foot on the throttle - never let off the gas - and upshift through the gears using the clutch. Precision shifts. I Tried it once - missed the gear - was afraid to do it again.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:25 PM
06Saleen3V
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Norm Peterson

06Saleen3V - the clutch is engaged except when you push the clutch pedal down. Whether the engine is running or not. Otherwise you'd never be able to leave the car in gear on a slight slope without also having to pull the handbrake to keep it from rolling.
You are correct. No more posts for me when I havent had my coffee [&:]

Quick Reply: For the people with 5pd standards...