Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how far can i push the automatic?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 01:28 PM
CrazyHorse0217
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: how far can i push the automatic?

OK........I'll go directly to the source. Who builds the 5 speed auto for the 05-08?
Old 02-20-2008, 01:30 PM
Grabber
5th Gear Member

Tremec makes it.
Old 02-20-2008, 02:25 PM
zkiller
4th Gear Member

Tremec makes it
Actually the automatic tranny is made at the Puegot facility in France. Tremec only makes the manual transmission. Seems like Tremec makes everything these days though.
Yes my car is away until we get some warm weather but I am all up for a cruise when it gets warm!! The weather here in Chicago absolutely sucks this year. How is that Vortech running for you? Do you drive the grabber all year, Chris?
Old 02-20-2008, 02:31 PM
Burnsy
5th Gear Member

where's modaddict....
Old 02-20-2008, 02:33 PM
zkiller
4th Gear Member

Building his monster I bet
Old 02-20-2008, 02:34 PM
PiggySmallz
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GidyupGo

ORIGINAL: PiggySmallz

ORIGINAL: GidyupGo
5 speed what? I have a 5 speed. Autos can always take more than a manual.
i don't think so man. A manual with forced induction can handle the power with an upgraded clutch. The auto's seem to break down with 450hp. Most guys seem fine with 450 at the wheels on a manual.
Since you're upgrading the manual, why not compare apples to apples. Historically, autos are tougher.
yes but what would you need to do to upgrade the auto? The manual a spec clutch and flywheel does the trick. Wouldn't the auto be more expensive?
Old 02-20-2008, 02:39 PM
rshamekh
4th Gear Member

Just get a Manual !!!
Old 02-20-2008, 02:44 PM
Grabber
5th Gear Member

Gerry-

Yes, for now I am driving Grabber all year. I have Blizzaks, and they help out a lot. I love how it handles in the crappy weather believe it or not.... I agree, this weather does suck. Hopefully it ends soon.

The Vortech is awesome. I tend to beat a lot of cars on the street. So far, a Gallardo, Ferrari 360 Modena, C6 W/ Exhaust work, etc. It is amazing. Nothing like your's I'm sure, just a different kind of beast.
Old 02-20-2008, 02:49 PM
Burnsy
5th Gear Member

This thread is a good read

For Automatic Stangs

Here is a good excerpt:

Original: Modaddict

Good advice but you do have limits. I don't know about Jr.'s car but the blue car may be on the stock tranny but I'd bet you have no clue how many stock tranny's it's gone through...lol

Many vendors will continue to use (and break) stock parts so they can use the claims in their advertising to make sales. I'm not singling out JDM and they've done nothing wrong cause they ALL do it. But don't take what a shop car has done on the 'stock' parts too seriously cause they have the luxury of replacing those stock parts dozens of times if need be. Those cars are advertising cars, never forget that. You are not going to be able to run 9's (or even 10's for that matter) consistently on the stock trans and the average joe is not going to want to replace it every other month either...

I do agree though that with some minor upgrades you should be able to get your stock tranny handling 10 psi stoutly. Just remember that you will always here about what a shop car does but will rarely hear about what it breaks...
Old 02-20-2008, 03:05 PM
CrazyHorse0217
2nd Gear Member

Hear are the results of a test done by Alternative Auto Performance. I feel better.

"So far the 5-speed automatic in the 05 GT is holding up very well. We pounded our 05 GT for over 8000 miles this past summer. The Vortech has been on for well over half of that. I’d have to say that in the short term the 5R55S automatic has more then exceeded the life expectancy I predicted it would have behind what’s appearing to be about 525+ HP at the flywheel."

Here is a link to the full article. http://www.alternativeauto.com/water...ing-05-gt.html

From the searches I've done, these trannys will hold up to reasonable abuse up to 500 flywheel, but as with anything, there are exceptions.

Quick Reply: how far can i push the automatic?