Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

JBA / 3rd Party Axleback Alignment

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 04:05 PM
clustersnarf
1st Gear Member

Default JBA / 3rd Party Axleback Alignment

A few weeks ago I installed the JBA Axlebacks on my car. The drivers side aligns to the bumper cutouts perfectly. The passenger side is a bit towards the center of the car, IE Left about a half inch or an inch.

The question is , has anyone else had alignment issues with aftermarket axlebacks and what did you do to fix it? This may just involve bending the hangers a bit. but with the rubber play in the isolators, I'm not sure how much it would help.
Old 02-19-2008, 04:53 PM
99flhr
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: JBA / 3rd Party Axleback Alignment

Had similar issues with Borla, it`s helpful to have a helper stand behind the car and give directions. Loosen the clamp on the pipe and adjust the attitude/altitude of the muffler until your helper gives the O.K. Then either tighten it up quickwith an impact wrench ( this eliminates all the wiggle you get with a hand ratchet) OR use a felt tip pen to put a line all aroundon the male pipe where it butts up to the female/muffler end of the pipe. Then reference this line as you tighten by hand. Either way, it usually takes a couple of tries to get it just right. Not difficult, just frustrating.

Others claim it helps to get new clamps, some endorse old style U-bolts, others favor the band type.

Good luck.
Old 02-19-2008, 05:15 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Man thats the million $$ question. After doing ALL of my exhaust work short of installing the longtubes I've realized that it's an arcane art form .

You need a rubber mallet, propane torch and aLOT of patience to get exhaust to fit right!!! Even if it's aftermarket ("fits perfect"). Just be patient, beat on it and it will fit up right.
Old 02-19-2008, 05:48 PM
jmk3
3rd Gear Member

Did you try to loosen the clamps behind the h pipe, there is tons of adjustment there, you can move it 1/2" either way by rotating the entire pipe. Its easier with 2 people. This as been done by many of us on the forums. hope it helps.
Old 02-19-2008, 06:00 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Theres adjustment everywhere in your exhaust system. I had to loosen the clamps on my h-pipe and the ones over the axle on the axle back and move everything around to get the proper clearance.

I would suggest loosening the clamps around the h-pipe first moving everything around that way, then loosening the clamps around the axle back and moving that direction.

If you don't have ramps, etc go get some and climb up under your car. It will be self-explanatory once under there.

If that doesn't work, break out the rubber mallet and torch![8D]
Old 02-20-2008, 10:27 AM
clustersnarf
1st Gear Member

Bah. I guess I'm going to harbor freight and getting a GOOD floor jack and 2 more jack stands then. The jack i have is quite tough to manage. But what do you want for $30 at autozone for a jack and 2 stands.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:33 AM
brad281
4th Gear Member

Do you really need a jack? On even ground, just back up an some 2 x 4s. I've adjusted and switched my axlebacks out many times just sitting like normal. Spray a little penetrating oil on the mid pipe clamp, loosen the bad side while someone's out back aligning the loose axleback. When placement and height of over axle pipes are good, have them hold in place and tighten up. It's a little hard to explain. But i've got mad and changed mine many times. You just get used tochanging themafter a few times.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:34 AM
hogpowr
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jmk3

Did you try to loosen the clamps behind the h pipe, there is tons of adjustment there, you can move it 1/2" either way by rotating the entire pipe. Its easier with 2 people. This as been done by many of us on the forums. hope it helps.
+1 This is the way to go,.......try to have someone giving you feedback as you adjust. Good Luck!
Old 02-20-2008, 10:38 AM
300GT
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: clustersnarf

Bah. I guess I'm going to harbor freight and getting a GOOD floor jack and 2 more jack stands then. The jack i have is quite tough to manage. But what do you want for $30 at autozone for a jack and 2 stands.
I hope you are kidding. You would trust your life to something you bought at Harbor Freight? You are a brave, brave man.
Old 02-20-2008, 11:44 AM
FenderParrothead
2nd Gear Member

How do the JBAs sound?

Quick Reply: JBA / 3rd Party Axleback Alignment