Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I am building a car computer / NO SHAKER!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2005, 02:34 AM
mbkowns
1st Gear Member

Default RE: I am building a car computer / NO SHAKER!

I currently have a Mustang on order under a X-PLAN!

I was going to get a rx8 and I had a car computer planned and built but a job change canceled that plan but i had all of the car computer parts and research done!

Power supply = Opus 150w - 12v Reason to get this even though its more money is becuase it will survive a crank meaning if you have the carputer on it will not restart when you draw alot of power to turn over the engine. This is important !

4channel amp(300/4 JL) and I am replacing all the stock speakers.

I don't like the MiniITX boards they are all mostly slow at least then they were and more money to do. A close comparison is a MircoATX board its like a miniITX with 3 more PCI slots. These boards run in the low 30s to the high 80's. I will build the box in the back.

I will have a USB DVD drive in the front somewhere not sure.

There are many gps units out there and I will make the decision depending on which front end I go with

I am going to use my car alarm to start the car computer and to turn it off that way it will be all booted up and ready to go by the time I get there. Also it will be cool so I can turn it on from inside my house and then connect to the computer with my wireless network and transfer music.

I have so much of this information in my head if any of you have any questions IM me on AIM @ illmbklli I have Direct Connect enabled for anyone so you can send me cool pictures of your install ideas diagrams and whatever

Here is how my front monitor will look

notice the cool dvd drive up front!
Old 04-02-2005, 03:16 AM
Dare
1st Gear Member

DVD might skip. USB cable cannot be longer than 6 feet I believe. Have usb ports accessible, and maybe a 7-memory card reader. Don't forget a web cam, mic, and alternate internet hook-up. Some cell phones & plans (I use Sprint PCS) will allow you to connect to the internet thru USB cable to cell phone. It's like 38kb or something, but it works. If you do that try to install a cell phone craddle and maybe run all your antenna lines from the wireless, cell, sat radio thru the same car antenna.
Old 04-02-2005, 04:17 AM
mbkowns
1st Gear Member

USB can be longer I have set it up and it works and no it won't of course the other things i just got tired of listing

Basicly a car computer takes alot more time but is worth it in the end
Old 04-02-2005, 04:35 AM
Whitey_McNasty
2nd Gear Member

USB has a max length of 16 feet. however you can use active USB extensio cables. You can cascade them as many times as you want.

The max distance I have run USB was approx 35 feet.
Old 04-02-2005, 05:46 AM
mbkowns
1st Gear Member

Check this out

Old 04-02-2005, 03:25 PM
lineman88

This was posted in the all mustang forum. It's detailed pics of an aftermarket install
http://webpages.charter.net/mikemeeh...ta%20Index.htm
Good Luck!
Old 04-02-2005, 03:46 PM
Whitey_McNasty
2nd Gear Member

WOW! Figgin sweet!

Did you photoshop that or is that a real install??

Thats the same touchscreen I will be using!! That looks BAD ***!

Old 04-02-2005, 06:26 PM
lineman88

I had nothing to do with this install - I just saw the link at www.allfordmustangs.com. The guy did an unbelievable job on the install. If you go to the forum you might be able to locate the thread. I went back and couldn't find it. I saw it a week or so ago.
Old 04-02-2005, 07:21 PM
lostsoul
4th Gear Member

how can you guys do that to a shaker 500?? ahhhh.. I want the same thign too.. but all that work and 3K+ is a little too much.. I just want NAV.. =-)
Old 04-02-2005, 07:41 PM
Whitey_McNasty
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: lostsoul

how can you guys do that to a shaker 500??
I ordered my car without a Shaker!!

The computer won't cost no where near $3K (speakers are another matter) and here is the best part... it is Industry standard in the PC world so I can always add parts and upgrade parts for small $$ when ever I want... Here is an example (maybe not the best but its just for illustration)...

OK so you buy a Head unit with XM radio... Get it installed.. blah blah blah whatever... But you like Howard Stern, well he will be on Sirrius... What do you do?

With a "Carputer" you simply add the Sirrius card (or replace the XM) and bang there you go.

You can have an UNLIMITED amount of music!! (MP3, FLAC, CD, DVD-A Super-CD, Whatever)

Run the best GPS ever!! Firmware units are cool but the PC versions are always the best!

Take ANY movie with you on the road... Hell you can stop by Blockbuster, rent a movie take it to the car and rip it to your HD and return the movie without leaving the parking lot.

Pull up to a WiFi hotspot (or just scan for one driving down the road) and order a pizza, call a friend, post on mustangforums.com, download new music (www.exeem.com), look up directions, check your email, check your bank account, pay a bill, transfer money, lookup theater info... oh the list just goes on...

If your really good (like me) you and your buddies setup network shares between your cars and trucks and then you can share your music, movies, ****, games, etc... all while chilling at "Whitey's Jolly Cone" (or Hooters) eating a burger after a long day of racing!

Quick Reply: I am building a car computer / NO SHAKER!