Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

08 mustang gt grinding in 3rd

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 11:04 PM
navyboy12807

Default 08 mustang gt grinding in 3rd

Ijust bought an 08 mustang gt about 2 months ago. Shortly after i bought it it started grinding into third gear. At first i thought it was me but i just traded out of an 06 gt 5 speed. I know how to drive a stick, so that is not the reason! It kept happening so i took it in and a master tech at a ford dealer drove it and it grinded with him also. Then the dealership got a new manual trans from the manufacturer and put it in with around 500 miles on the car. It now has 800 miles on the new trans and still does the same thing and now it also grinds from reverse to first. The dealer is really trying to help me, but they seem to be at the mercy of Ford.No one knows y or how to fix it! I'm 21 and i dont want the excuse of someone sayingI am beating on it if something goes wrong. Does anyone else have a problem with theirs and / or knows how to fix it? if so can u please enlighten me? Thanks
Old 02-19-2008, 11:12 PM
davegt

Default RE: 08 mustang gt grinding in 3rd

me to. i have 1500 miles on mine and when its cold it grinds from second to third. for the fist 5 minutes ive been shifting extremely slow so it would not grind. dont think its normal either!! the car should shift fine cold or warm in any gear. its brand new. not sure what im doing yet. if anything happens on your end let me know.
Old 02-19-2008, 11:21 PM
r3velation
4th Gear Member

i had that problem earlier from about 83 miles all the way to about 550, give or take. mine's an 08 gt 5speed as well.

i was freakin out a litte, but i noticed that it only occurred the first time i went into 3rd. after the initial shift into 3rd, i guess it was fine and kept going. after i noticed it, i just let the car warm up for 5 minutes more than i usually warm the car up (about 5 minutes + the additional 5)

it goes away, but it's still hard to get into sometimes at wot.

which is why i'm getting an mgw shifter.

NOTE: be prepared to hear lots of "get an mgw, get a hurst" lol. they got to me and am now getting one shortly.
Old 02-20-2008, 12:52 AM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

try a fluid change, ya never know.

but yeah, probably a clutch issue even, perhaps not fully uhm clutching. if the pilot bearing or something is out then you can grind going into gear. Does the car roll slightly when youre pressing the clutch into gear?
Old 02-20-2008, 06:58 AM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

There is another thread about this. Mine does it too. Seems that my car only does it when it really cold outside and the clutch hydraulics are really cold. Once it warms up it doesn't do it anymore. Now that I have 1K miles on my car it seems to have stopped even in the cold, but who knows. We haven't had alot of freezing temps in Florida lately.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:26 PM
08GTRagtop

I've got the same issue. Does it only when the transmission is cold but goes away after about 10 minutes of driving. I've found i can just double clutch into third until it warms up and that eliminates the grinding. I posted a few weeks ago and someone mentioned you can just wait for the engine revs to come down before putting it into 3rd until its warmed up.

Would take it to the dealer but its too cold to undo the Hurst and i want to see what happens after a few more miles like r3velation mentioned.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:59 PM
navyboy12807

i have around 1700 miles on my car and on my second trans. im in philly and is been cold here and thats when i have the problem no its not a clutch issue it only does it when its cold and mainly in third! from what the manufacture said IT MIGHT COULD BE with the trans fluid in the 08 mustang gt they changed the trans fluid to alot thicker one they. r trying to find out who made the change and why they made the change that could be the reason y its only grinding when its cold. i traded out of and 06 that never had a grinding problem or any problem to begin with and it was 5 speed! thats all i know so far and soon as i find out anything else i will let u know pretty much what ever is wrong is covered by ford because its there mistake!
Old 02-21-2008, 09:15 PM
navyboy12807

if anyone else hears of something or has any ideas let me know to please!?

Old 02-25-2008, 10:02 PM
rap87
1st Gear Member

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I've posted about this before and wondering if anyone else has had this issue...basically its a Bzzt sound going into 3rd at all RPMS when the tranny is cold during the first few mins of driving...only way to cure is to let the rpms drop before shifting those first few mins, then you can do w/e and it never does it...I thought I had seen someone explain why it does this, like it might need a torque strap, or our trannys are prone to do it...Iono, but I'm hoping a Chek Kmember brace will fix it...but then again it only does it when its cold, so...HELP!

Mods:
2008 Mustang GT
Hurst Shifter
C&L Intake/Brenspeed Tune
SLP Axlebacks
Old 02-26-2008, 05:52 PM
navyboy12807

from what all the techs i have talked to and who have looked at mine they pretty much came to two conclusions a manufature default in the sycro or the most likely one it the trans oil in 08 they changed the trans fluid to a thicker one and right now they r looking into who made the change and why still no answers on that yet but is being looked into!

Quick Reply: 08 mustang gt grinding in 3rd