Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shaker 1000 and Aftermarket Head Units

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 05:35 PM
Boozshey
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Shaker 1000 and Aftermarket Head Units

Really don't buy a stereo cause of the speed volume sensor...

https://mustangforums.com/m_4489289/tm.htm
Old 03-28-2008, 05:56 PM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

So many of these threads and despite the odd Kenwood/Alpine/Whatever recommendation, they all end up the same - AVIC-Z1/2.

AVIC-D3 is nice butswapping Nav/CD/DVD disks is totallyGay however you stack it. The idea of buying an all in one Head unit and then having to use something like an Ipod to listen to music whilst navigating is defeating the whole point IMHO.

The kenwood units offer GPS functionality in solid state memory so you're free to use the Disk drive for CDs/DVDs whilst navigating.

Old 03-28-2008, 11:03 PM
Boozshey
5th Gear Member

The D3 only requires the disk initially. It stores your trip and then you can remove the disk. Yes it may be a pain to some, but I never use CD's, I only use my iPod. I don't feel bound to it, it's just able to hold way more music that way. Even more than the Z2. So I really don't see that as an arguement in most cases. And I think it's GAY that people still use CD's
Old 03-28-2008, 11:19 PM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

Where does it store the route info? Does it have some memory set aside for the route along with all detailed map info and alternate route possibilities in the case of a detour. POI's like gas stations and Hooters resturants along the way, You know, all those things a GPS is good for ?

I do agree that carting round a bunch of CD's is a pain so being able to rip them onto the Z1/1 is a nice touch, even if the process takes for ever I guess an iPod sectreted away inside the glovebox is an acceptable alternative.

The D series head units are fine machines, no doubt, butany D1/2/3 owner who publicly says the Z1/2 is a waste of the extra money is being driven purely by the Green eyed monster. With the possible exception of the volume ****, which is a nice touch, The Music/GPS on hard disk feature on the Z's blows the D'saway in every way.
Old 03-28-2008, 11:29 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

i agree, the Z series navi being on HD is much better than a disk. And with the upgraded HD, my Z1/Z2 now is bigger capacity than my ipod does anyway!
Old 03-29-2008, 07:38 AM
Boozshey
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: howarmat
And with the upgraded HD, my Z1/Z2 now is bigger capacity than my ipod does anyway!
This is the only time that I would say the Z1/2 would be better. Other than that, I will stick with what I said before.

I will map a route and find out what happens to the data and see what I can and can't do with it. Cause honestly I really don't know. But yes, I do know it has a memory mode, how big and what is stored I dont' know.
Old 03-29-2008, 10:12 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

well after a quick search over at avic411:

If you store a route more than 75mi, it will store the length by a 6mi cross section, so if you miss a turn, you've got 3mi in either direction for the unit to redirect you to the original route. If it's less than 75mi, the route is stored length by 10mi across.

I found that. Not sure how valid it is. Now honestly thats not much considering if you have to take a detour you never know how far off you the road you will get. And your POI are going to be limited too.
Old 04-18-2008, 04:27 AM
Racer38

And still no one has answered the question about the Sub's in the Trunk.. Does it or doesnt it ?? Looking to get the Avic D3 even with the Gay CD Navigation.
Old 04-18-2008, 05:42 AM
EricM
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Racer38

And still no one has answered the question about the Sub's in the Trunk.. Does it or doesnt it ?? Looking to get the Avic D3 even with the Gay CD Navigation.
Yes, it does it. The harness that you get for aftermarket head units has RCA plugs to take the signal to the Shaker amps. So as long as the deck has a sub out, it's going to work with the Shaker subs.

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...px?i=120705521
Old 04-18-2008, 10:22 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

ORIGINAL: Racer38

your question was answered in the 3 reply by mustangbatman

Quick Reply: Shaker 1000 and Aftermarket Head Units