Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throttle shut down, twice today !!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2005, 01:21 AM
Higgie
3rd Gear Member

Default Throttle shut down, twice today !!

Today, while driving in traffic, I down shifted into 4th, at about 58mph, and hit the gas. She shut down untill I lifted, then hit it again. I was surprised, and worried a bit. I have been driving my son and I on spring break. We are headed home, and will arrive tomorrow afternoon. Sat. March 26th -> Sat. April 2nd, over 3000 miles. We have had a blast !! From Indianapolis, to Corpus Christi Texas, and back. We actually drove an extra 400 miles while in Texas, back and forth to the beach, and golf courses.

The car has been a great. A lot of attention, and 22-23 miles per gallon, at 72-82 mph. The throttle shut down is a little concerning, but we are trucking on home tomorrow !!

Old 04-02-2005, 01:34 AM
sdmahr
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Throttle shut down, twice today !!

Any lights on the dash when that happens? Seems like an electronic throttle control issue. Should set a code and trigger the MIL.
Old 04-02-2005, 01:40 AM
Higgie
3rd Gear Member

I was in heavy traffic, on the Interstate through Houston, Texas, so I didn't catch a glimpse of the dash until afterward. No check engine light, or any evidence anything happened??
Old 04-02-2005, 01:43 AM
Silent Bob
1st Gear Member

Does the 05 Mustang have the same thing the 05 Goat has? It kills the throttle if to much power or something like that? Don't know what its called.

Edit: It has makes you shift into 3rd gear, locks out 2nd on the goat.
Old 04-02-2005, 01:48 AM
hybridmoments
2nd Gear Member

the TCS i heard will kill the throttle if it senses a spin at the rear wheels
Old 04-02-2005, 01:56 AM
INTRUDER
1st Gear Member

sometimes if you get TO CLOSE to the red line in some gears it seams to compensate by taking it out of gear and reving untill you lifft your foot of the petal
Old 04-02-2005, 01:59 AM
Higgie
3rd Gear Member

I don't know if it matters, but I did have info stored in the cruise control. But, had tapped the brake to deactivate it. I can't imagine the puter sensing any chance of wheel slip. It was sunny and dry out. If the gas had taken, I doubt that the rpm would have started over 3500rpm.

I hope it was a glitch, sense we need to drive another 600 miles tomorrow, to get home.
Old 04-02-2005, 09:39 AM
n4ggs
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: INTRUDER

sometimes if you get TO CLOSE to the red line in some gears it seams to compensate by taking it out of gear and reving untill you lifft your foot of the petal
WHAT!?!?!??! EXACTALLY WHAT YOU DONT WANT!

its gotta be a torque management thing. the electronic throttle takes your inputs via the gas peddel and the computer decides what to do with that "request"
like any computer program sometimes itll seem a little dumb or confusing. i wouldnt worry about it, ford will probabaly have a recall if its a major issue. otherwise its only a matter of time until someone sells an aftermarket chip to fix it
Old 04-02-2005, 09:52 AM
td1320
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Higgie

Today, while driving in traffic, I down shifted into 4th, at about 58mph, and hit the gas. She shut down untill I lifted, then hit it again. I was surprised, and worried a bit. I have been driving my son and I on spring break. We are headed home, and will arrive tomorrow afternoon. Sat. March 26th -> Sat. April 2nd, over 3000 miles. We have had a blast !! From Indianapolis, to Corpus Christi Texas, and back. We actually drove an extra 400 miles while in Texas, back and forth to the beach, and golf courses.

The car has been a great. A lot of attention, and 22-23 miles per gallon, at 72-82 mph. The throttle shut down is a little concerning, but we are trucking on home tomorrow !!

My car is still in the shop for a similiar problem. Mine was more like a really bad bog. The car didn't want to accelerate. They had to order a computer for mine. The Mass sensor had a low reading and when they replaced it the new one had an even lower reading so they think the computer is bad. Also when mine would bog the fuel pressure would drop way down and the vacuum would go to 0. they hope the computer fixes it but they're not positive. I will know something maybe by tuesday. I will post my results.
Old 04-02-2005, 02:04 PM
showam1
I ♥ Acer

My Stick shift GT did kindof the same thing once, I dropped to third from fifth to accelerate hard, it took a second to think flashed the tracton control light for another second then took off like a bat out of...
I thought I had imagined it.
Maybe I didn't match the RPMS quite right on the downshift?

Quick Reply: Throttle shut down, twice today !!