Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch / Tranny Issues? Maybe?!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 07:32 AM
FenderParrothead
2nd Gear Member

Default Clutch / Tranny Issues? Maybe?!

Happy Friday Everyone!

As I've stated on the forums before, I've driven a manual transmission car on many occasions, but this is my first manual DD, so I'm quickly learning all the of the day to day grind (pun intended) that comes with driving a manual on a regular basis. That having been said, here are my questions, and explanations on what I am experiencing.

First, I have noticed that with the cold weather that I have been living in the past several months, I occasionally have problems getting the car into 1st or 2nd gear while driving. Once the car warms up, it's not as much of a problem, but I can still feel some resistance on occasion. Now, I know the cold weather will affect the tranny to a certain extent (make a few shifts less smooth, etc.) but should I be having issues actually getting it into a gear, where I try to put it into 1st, it won't go, back it out, and try again.

Second, I was waiting in line for the parking garage this morning, and suddenly I heard grinding in 1st gear. I quickly yanked it into neutral, and my initial thought was, "Crap, I must not have had it all the way into gear". But then I realized that my foot still had the clutch fully depressed and the only thing I had done was let off the brake, to start moving toward the gas. So, I've been trying to piece together whether I did something and just didn't realize it (e.g. actually DIDN'T have the clutch depressed and tried to throw it into gear without realizing it) or if this is a sign of an issue with the car. The more I second guess everything, the more I want to try to find fault in myself, not the car, but my initial, gut reaction is still the same. I was just sitting there.

Any thought on either of these two potential issues would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 02-22-2008, 07:59 AM
moburto07GT
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Clutch / Tranny Issues? Maybe?!

Iwas having the same issues with my 07 GT Manual with 5300 miles. When i took it in to the dealer to have it checked out they stated that the synchros (spelling??) had gone bad in 1st and 3rd gears. The tech then tried to blame the problem on the way i was driving the car. Needless to say that didn't set to well since most of my driving is at 75 mph with the cruise control set.Anyways after a few choice words and a talk with the manager they fixed it all underthe warranty.

Ive put another 2k on the car since this was done and had a short throw shifter installed and it seems to have taken care of this problem.
Old 02-22-2008, 08:02 AM
FenderParrothead
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, I'm going to be ordering a short throw soon myself, but want to make sure that this is taken care of (if needed) before I do that.
Old 02-22-2008, 02:43 PM
gjs14
2nd Gear Member

I had the same thing but I had a new cluch put in and allis good now but I get agear soundout of 2ed and 4th
Old 02-22-2008, 03:21 PM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

The second issue you described it clutch probs, trust me. I had clutch probs, spent $1K getting a new one installed. I think I have clutch probs again, or at least the throwout bearing.

The first part about it not working too well when cold is pretty common. I get that here in Arizona on cold winter mornings. Heats up pretty fast and shifts nicely. Its no big deal, no bigger than the valves tapping when the car is cold-started which happens alot on these cars.

But yeah, probably have clutch problems.
Old 02-22-2008, 04:26 PM
gjs14
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ohnoesaz

The second issue you described it clutch probs, trust me. I had clutch probs, spent $1K getting a new one installed. I think I have clutch probs again, or at least the throwout bearing.

The first part about it not working too well when cold is pretty common. I get that here in Arizona on cold winter mornings. Heats up pretty fast and shifts nicely. Its no big deal, no bigger than the valves tapping when the car is cold-started which happens alot on these cars.

But yeah, probably have clutch problems

do you think I have acluch problem or Fenderparrothead has a cluch problem? My cluch only has 1,000 miles on it and it is ford oem, the only thing I get is the gear sound in 2ed and 4th

thanks