Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mustang comparison April 08 Motor Trend

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 10:55 AM
Ringo01
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Mustang comparison April 08 Motor Trend

Hmmm... I want the pretty pictures! haha
Old 02-26-2008, 11:15 AM
raserx
1st Gear Member

Too bad they didn't include a Steeda. I'd like to see how it would hold up.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:19 AM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

Interestingly one of the reasons why the Mustang GT was chosen over the GT500 to tune in the highest end tuner form, was because the GT500 weighed so much that it would be easier just to swap the GT500 transmission into a car and with a supercharger running over GT500 numbers have something that can do both the quarter mile and track the best.

So to be honest tuned GT's are GREAT,

Now the GT500 holds its value better and has more interesting roots, and responds to mods better in the 1/4 mile, but it can only do a quarter mile (I've heard GT500s get to 1000hp, which makes it one of the fastest 1/4 cars you can get in street form).

Anyway in from the factory form any of those supercharged cars are actually faster than the GT500 because they are lighter (faster in all ways), sure the tuners cars depreciate faster and have less presteige and reliability, but they are cheeper if you consider current prices on most GT500s. Put that in Motor Trend's pipe and smoke it. In fact Top Gear a magazine, newspaper column, and occasional TV show that does similar work to Motor Trend chose a Roush stage 3 over a GT500.

So if you compare like this tuner cars are great if you like the raw abilities of cars and are not mechanically inclined.

Ok. I'd always take a GT500 over a tuner car even though it wouldn't be the best choice, just because i like it's modding potential, but motortrend tends to do silly comparison tests.

Whatever, taking these details into account i think Motortrends way of discouning tuner cars is lame and.... real missleading. Espetially considering these were the LOWEST END tuners cars, and were GTs with body kits. The whole point of these lowest end cars is to sell body kits from the styling department of tuner companies, and exclusivity too. I don't see the GT come with any body kit or exclusivity.

Look at it this way, While the GT may be the best value for money.. they tested cars that are SPECIFICALLY designed to preform in the POSING spectrum. So. If they measured all the cars on a posing scale where these tested cars were designed to reside, then the GT would seem to have a 0%.

Their test seems to be similar to comparing a Ford Focus and a Lambo.. strictly on the quality of spare tire you get for your money. Unfortunatly you are leaving out the most important details at that, just like Motortrend did.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:19 AM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Legion5

I'd like to see them test a Stage 3 Roush, vs a Saleen Supercharged, vs a Shelby GT/SC, vs a GT. Everyone knows those tuner cars are just apperance mods/posers with each respective mark's entry level version.
I think the goal was to test similarly priced cars. When you get into the Stage 3, S281, Shelby CS6 or CS8, then you've left the GT behind in terms of $$$. Its no different than trying to test a Corvette against the GT. of course it performs better, and costs much more.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:27 AM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Legion5

actually one of the reasons why the Mustang GT was chosen over the GT500 to tune, was because the GT500 weighed so much that it would be easier just to swap the GT500 transmission into a car and with a supercharger have something that can do both the quarter mile and track.

Now the GT500 holds its value better and has more interesting roots, and responds to mods better in the 1/4 mile, but it can only do a quarter mile (I've heard GT500s get to 1000hp, which makes it one of the fastest 1/4 cars you can get in street form).

Anyway in from the factory form any of those supercharged cars are actually faster than the GT500 because they are lighter (faster in all ways), sure the tuners cars depreciate faster and have less presteige and reliability, but they are cheeper if you consider current prices on most GT500s. Put that in Motor Trend's pipe and smoke it. In fact Top Gear a magazine, newspaper column, and occasional TV show that does similar work to Motor Trend chose a Roush stage 3 over a GT500.

I'd always take a GT500 over a tuner car even though it wouldn't be the best choice, just because i like it's modding potential, but motortrend tends to do silly comparison tests.

Look at it this way, While the GT may be the best value for money.. they tested cars that are SPECIFICALLY designed to preform in the POSING spectrum. So. If they measured all the cars on a posing scale where they were designed to reside, then the GT would seem to have a 0%.

Their test seems to be similar to comparing a Ford Focus and a Lambo.. strictly on the quality of spare tire you get for your money.

Not really. Only if the Ford Fucus had a similar dyno or 1/4 mile time as the lambo. Poor comparison.
Old 02-26-2008, 01:51 PM
06Saleen3V
6th Gear Member

Dyno numbers dont include bodykits, wheels, dashes, interior,suspension andexclusivity