Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Improved down force in the rear with a duck tail? (yes for the track)

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 04:42 PM
mikeei

Default Improved down force in the rear with a duck tail? (yes for the track)

Does anyone know if you can improve the down-force in the rear of the car with a duck tail spoiler? Its for the track (road course, high performance DE) I don't want to go with a big wing, which I know would be better,just looking for a way to get a little more traction for the back of the car. I've read a lot if the threads on duck tails and duck tails vs stock spoilers but they cover mostly looks etc... No sense changing what I've got if there isn't a performance benefit.I'm thinking about high speed turns.
Old 02-29-2008, 04:52 PM
Black Mamba GTT
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Improved down force in the rear with a duck tail? (yes for the track)

I think any spoiler would help a lilbit. But why not a big one if you're racing?
Old 02-29-2008, 05:04 PM
nycstang37
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Improved down force in the rear with a duck tail? (yes for the track)

i wouldnt put a big one on my car, but it mostly see the street. dont worry about thsoe who says its rice, b/c it actually works at the track(the high ones like steeda) im not a fan of the look but if you track the car alot, go for it. my g/f has a steeda and she has the mid hieght steeda wing, doesnt actually look that bad.
Old 02-29-2008, 05:12 PM
Spiffu
2nd Gear Member

The FR300 Grand Am cars don't use any spoilers, the FR500 FIA GT3 cobra has a racing spoiler and front splitter but it's putting a lot more power down. It's pretty much a matter of how fast you're going in the corners.

A well designed suspension setup will help you far more than a spoiler will for the speeds you'll likely be going.
Old 02-29-2008, 06:35 PM
Pwny
4th Gear Member

A Roush spoiler might do more than a ducktail. But I really don't know if any of these spoilers will do much or anything at all.
Old 02-29-2008, 07:17 PM
Allstar
5th Gear Member

i have the ducktail.. its more for looks then anything.. i can put money down that it will put more downforce then any stock gt spoiler or no spoiler.. and prolly most other spoilers out there other then those giant racing ones.. but i doubt its anything u will really notice or anything that will REALLY improve the downforce on it..
Old 02-29-2008, 07:20 PM
suoperdave84
4th Gear Member

are you losing traction at 200 mph or something? Your car must be some machine.
Old 02-29-2008, 07:23 PM
Allstar
5th Gear Member

lol..
Old 02-29-2008, 08:56 PM
ThumperMX113
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: suoperdave84

are you losing traction at 200 mph or something? Your car must be some machine.
Don't you wish there was a smiley shaking it's head?
Old 02-29-2008, 09:44 PM
ratnacage
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Pwny

A Roush spoiler might do more than a ducktail. But I really don't know if any of these spoilers will do much or anything at all.
I doubt even a Roush spoiler does much (if it did, the new Roush 427 track car would use it). I have the Roush spoiler and the way I judge it's effectiveness is by looking at it when it's wet. Even at highway speeds, the water doesn't flow all that much, so I conclude from that it's just for looks. The reality is the decklid is "blanked" by the rear glass - air flow doesn't get down to the decklid which is why you see the serious race cars having a raised wing to get it into the airstream. If you're not taking corners at 100+, then you don't need a spoiler/wing.

Quick Reply: Improved down force in the rear with a duck tail? (yes for the track)