Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Fill Observation

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 07:51 AM
svfetter
2nd Gear Member

Default Fuel Fill Observation

Just happened to be under the car this past weekend and noticed how small the fuel fill hose is!!(2007 Model) No Wonder people are having issues with pump cutoff!!!! The fill hose could not be much bigger than a 5/8 diameter heater hose!!

I have been fortunate since most pumps where I live are generally slow, so I have had very little if any trouble. Not sure what ford has replaced as then fix in the past. In addition, it is easy to see when looking how plumbed how attitude of car could effect fill.

Just thought I would pass it along
Old 03-03-2008, 07:56 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Fuel Fill Observation

When I get gas, I don't use the lever to lock the gas pump to automatic pump, I do it manually so it will pump slower. Since I've been doing this, I haven't had the cut offissue any more.
Old 03-03-2008, 08:01 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

What is this cut off issue you guys speak of? People are getting spillage because it doesn't cut off?
Old 03-03-2008, 08:02 AM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

If I blast full speed from the start, it will of course shut off. Once I get the flow going, I can kick into high for the remainder of the pump. KInd of goes for most applications.
Old 03-03-2008, 08:08 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Some owners have experienced problems with filling up their gas tanks by having the pump cut off prematurely and not letting you fill your tank. There is a TSB on this but many have expressed the "fix" didn't do any good, so many have come up with ways to counter act this. Some put the pump in upside down while others just turn it to a 45° angle and pump slow so that you can fill up your tank.

Here's one TSB;

https://mustangforums.com/recalls-an..._06313/TSB.htm
Old 03-03-2008, 08:18 AM
VanGTCS
2nd Gear Member

Twice recently I've had the issue Riptide has mentioned where the pump doesn't auto shut off and I get fuel spillage. This happened on two seperate pumps. I fill it every time I fuel it, never let the car get under half full, and will typically only need to fill it up every 3 to 4 weeks (I put under 2000 miles on it a year).
Old 03-03-2008, 08:30 AM
QbonStang95GT
2nd Gear Member

is this for all cars? or jus mustangs?
Old 03-03-2008, 08:59 AM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 07 Stang

Some owners have experienced problems with filling up their gas tanks by having the pump cut off prematurely and not letting you fill your tank. There is a TSB on this but many have expressed the "fix" didn't do any good, so many have come up with ways to counter act this. Some put the pump in upside down while others just turn it to a 45° angle and pump slow so that you can fill up your tank.

Here's one TSB;

https://mustangforums.com/recalls-an..._06313/TSB.htm

I have found that the 2 o'clock position works well for those that have a very fast flow rate and little to no trickle flow from the start. I prefer to have the handle turned to 2 o'clock since the pump gets kind of heavy after about a minute. J/K
Old 03-03-2008, 10:20 AM
offrdmania
3rd Gear Member

the antisiphen is a bad design and you get too much pressure built up in the tank so it cuts off the pump. If you just turn the handle like gidyupgo says then it allows air to escape and everything works ok. The ford fix doesnt work and they will probably never fix it crrectly
Old 03-03-2008, 10:30 AM
NeoGeo630
1st Gear Member

I've never experienced this problem with mine. I always just let 'er rip and it doesn't stop till the tank is pretty much full.

Quick Reply: Fuel Fill Observation