Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I burning oil?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 09:54 AM
PiggySmallz
3rd Gear Member

Default Am I burning oil?

I know in the winter when I start the car it jumps up to about 1600-1800 RPM's for a few seconds then falls down to about 1200 and then after a few minutes will drop down to about 980. When the car is started I get huge amounts of white smoke which I assume is condensation. Oil would be more of a bluish color correct? My dad said that the car smells like it is burning oil though. I didn't really listen to him and yesterday a fellow stang enthusiast who knows a good deal about cars said he thought I was burning oil also, without me even asking him. My tips don't have the typical black soot that most cars with off road pipes get. My tips are gold colored and even mothers polish can't get them clean. They constantly have a brass colored tint to them. I spoke to my tuner and he sent me new tunes because I thought maybe I was running rich, but still the same thing. I checked my car three weeks ago before an oil change and was a little over half a quart low. I had 2600 miles on the car at the time. I got an oil change this weekend and I'm at about 2850 miles. I figured being the engine was new it would soak some oil but also none of my friends cars with off road pipes have this same discoloration on their pipes. Also my car's fumes are A LOT stronger than theirs. Thanks guys
Old 03-03-2008, 10:02 AM
offrdmania
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Am I burning oil?

Ok, the discoloration on your tips is from heat if I read your discription right, burning oil wouldnt leave a residue because its already burned and if you were rich you would be leaving black gunk on your pipes because then that would be unburnt fuel escaping down the pipe. If it is only in the morning when it is cold then it is steam from condensation. Go out on a cold day and look at the air coming out of your mouth. Same principal. If it was oil burning then it would be sending blue smoke out under acceleration or if you really get on it and put a load on the engine.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:04 AM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

If your tips are turning yellow, it's not from being too rich. More than likely too lean and the yellow is from excess heat sort of like when you temper metal. Mine never did go through a period of using a little oil due to break in. If yours is a little low, it could be from many things. It may straighten itself out over time or may not. I would address the yellow pipes thing though asap.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:27 AM
PiggySmallz
3rd Gear Member

that would explain the reason why my car feels like it chokes sometimes when i jump on the throttle, not enough fuel and too much air. I thought it was just the delay from the auto. So running lean creates more heat leading to that certain discoloration of my exhaust tips. How would I go about pulling these plugs to see if they are grayish? What is the proper way to remove them?
Old 03-03-2008, 10:36 AM
offrdmania
3rd Gear Member

before you start going crazy maybe you should put the car on a scope to verify if it is lean
Old 03-03-2008, 10:43 AM
PiggySmallz
3rd Gear Member

how do i scope it?
Old 03-03-2008, 11:25 AM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: PiggySmallz

that would explain the reason why my car feels like it chokes sometimes when i jump on the throttle, not enough fuel and too much air. I thought it was just the delay from the auto. So running lean creates more heat leading to that certain discoloration of my exhaust tips. How would I go about pulling these plugs to see if they are grayish? What is the proper way to remove them?

Do search for spark plu removel. There is a specific technique and it has been discussed in depth here in the past week or so. Thread title was scary plug change. Lean does create higher cylinder pressures and much more heat. That yellow is coming from heat more than likely. My hog does it right at the point where the header pipes are bolted on the block. I had some that turned purple they got so hot. For it to effect your tips so far back from the source is alarming.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:38 PM
PiggySmallz
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GidyupGo
Lean does create higher cylinder pressures and much more heat. That yellow is coming from heat more than likely. My hog does it right at the point where the header pipes are bolted on the block. I had some that turned purple they got so hot. For it to effect your tips so far back from the source is alarming.
I can remove most of the discoloration with mothers polish, but it's back within 2-3 weeks. It's my daily driver but I don't drive it that often. It has been happening back since October. If the car was running that dangerously lean, wouldn't I have run into a problem already with the engine? Also wouldn't that amount of heat have shown effects on my prochamber or on the outter edges of the tip just before the opening?
Old 03-03-2008, 12:56 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

It could be dying a slow death. If you can get the yellow off, it isn't from excessive heat. I was under the impression that the metal itself had turned yellow, something that couldn't be scrubbed off.
Old 03-03-2008, 01:13 PM
PiggySmallz
3rd Gear Member

No,my mistake I didn't explain it properly.I can get most of it off, but it's still notlike my friends who have off road pipes and borla mufflers. Their's get a little dirty with some black soot but mine get gold looking. Also like I said, my car smells similar to theirs but it's A LOT stronger lol. There's no blue smoke so I don't think any rings or seals are bad.

Quick Reply: Am I burning oil?