Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

?'s For Those W/. SHR Flush Louvers...

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 06:31 AM
ink003
3rd Gear Member

Default ?'s For Those W/. SHR Flush Louvers...

these damn things have been calling to me, but for the $$$, i haven't been able to pull the trigger. my friendly neighborhood tax preparer just gave me a reason to, however . so, my questions:

1. please tell me i don't have to buy all the other crap they advertise on their website, i.e. window removal kit, 3m adhesive and 3m adhesive promoter. can i buy these materials cheaper elsewhere? are they worth buying from shr? can't i remove the car's windows with simple tools and elbow grease?

2.shr warns that it takes 4-6 weeks after order placement for delivery. true? and when do they bill the credit card? upon order or shipment?

thanks guys!!
Old 03-04-2008, 09:14 AM
ink003
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: ?'s For Those W/. SHR Flush Louvers...

little help here plz...
Old 03-04-2008, 09:18 AM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

American Muscle also sell the S.H.R. louvers but they come clear and would have to get them painted. You should call your local body shop and see how much they would charge to paint, and install. You might get off cheaper.
Old 03-04-2008, 09:20 AM
ink003
3rd Gear Member

i've looked into that before, and the vast majority of mf'er opinions (those folks who have the louvers) was to get them painted from shr. they are a very difficult paint job because of the transparency issues and various nooks and crannies.

but, that's not a bad idea to ask around at some shops regarding install...
Old 03-04-2008, 09:22 AM
pegasusphototx
2nd Gear Member

Get them pre-painted from SHR, you won't regret it. I've read stories of body shops not getting a good job done on them.

As far as the tools, you could probably find them elsewhere, but I don't think they're overpriced on SHR's site. I've seen several threads on different methods of getting the stock glass out, but using their instructions will ensure you get the best result. You could also go to a glass shop, and get a quote for them to install them, some people have gotten good deals that way.

Hardest part of the install is that first pull on the cutting cable... there's no going back after that ;-)

-danny
Old 03-04-2008, 09:25 AM
ink003
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: pegasusphototx

Get them pre-painted from SHR, you won't regret it. I've read stories of body shops not getting a good job done on them.

As far as the tools, you could probably find them elsewhere, but I don't think they're overpriced on SHR's site. I've seen several threads on different methods of getting the stock glass out, but using their instructions will ensure you get the best result. You could also go to a glass shop, and get a quote for them to install them, some people have gotten good deals that way.

Hardest part of the install is that first pull on the cutting cable... there's no going back after that ;-)

-danny
yeah, i'm decided about pre-painted - definitely that's what i'll do.

and perhaps i'll make some visits to a few glass shops in the area after work - i mean, i'd be paying $62.85 just for the materials from shr...
Old 03-04-2008, 09:36 AM
d_ames117
2nd Gear Member

It is definitely worth it to buy the adhesive and the adhesion promoter from SHR. Do not install the louvres without using the promoter. As far as the window kit, you may find one cheaper elsewhere but the SHR kit was good quality and worked well.

As for the installation, make sure you tape the area off very well before you start cutting or you will scratch the paint. I put 3 layers of easy removal painters tape and I ended up with no scratches. As far as the method, I didn't do it the way SHR's instructions say to. I slid the cutting wire under the narrow end of the window and sawed back and forth, cutting the seal on the top and bottom at the same time. Each window took about 45 mins to prepare and about 15 to cut. Make sure you tape the window to the car to prevent it from falling out as you will cut through the pins with this method - the pins are unnecessary. If I could do it again, however, I would have started cutting from the fat side.

It will take about 2 hours to get the windows out and about an hour to prepare the old urethane seal and about an hour to install the louvres. You should leave a large amount of the old seal or you will need too much new urethane.

Hope this helps - PM me with questions.

Dustin

4-6 weeks is about right. Worth the wait.
Old 03-04-2008, 09:38 AM
ink003
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: d_ames117

It is definitely worth it to buy the adhesive and the adhesion promoter from SHR. Do not install the louvres without using the promoter. As far as the window kit, you may find one cheaper elsewhere but the SHR kit was good quality and worked well.

As for the installation, make sure you tape the area off very well before you start cutting or you will scratch the paint. I put 3 layers of easy removal painters tape and I ended up with no scratches. As far as the method, I didn't do it the way SHR's instructions say to. I slid the cutting wire under the narrow end of the window and sawed back and forth, cutting the seal on the top and bottom at the same time. Each window took about 45 mins to prepare and about 15 to cut. Make sure you tape the window to the car to prevent it from falling out as you will cut through the pins with this method - the pins are unnecessary. If I could do it again, however, I would have started cutting from the fat side.

It will take about 2 hours to get the windows out and about an hour to prepare the old urethane seal and about an hour to install the louvres. You should leave a large amount of the old seal or you will need too much new urethane.

Hope this helps - PM me with questions.

Dustin

4-6 weeks is about right. Worth the wait.
hey, thanks a lot for the directions! i'll definitely pm you if i don't end up getting an auto glass shop to do the job.
Old 03-04-2008, 09:38 AM
htvsean1
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ink003

these damn things have been calling to me, but for the $$$, i haven't been able to pull the trigger. my friendly neighborhood tax preparer just gave me a reason to, however . so, my questions:

1. please tell me i don't have to buy all the other crap they advertise on their website, i.e. window removal kit, 3m adhesive and 3m adhesive promoter. can i buy these materials cheaper elsewhere? are they worth buying from shr? can't i remove the car's windows with simple tools and elbow grease?

2.shr warns that it takes 4-6 weeks after order placement for delivery. true? and when do they bill the credit card? upon order or shipment?

thanks guys!!

When I brought mine I got the entire kit. I really don't see how you can install them properly with out it. I guess you could look around and get all the tools on your own and save a few bucks but its less trouble to getthe kitfrom them. It took about 2 months for them to paint and ship them out to me but when they arrived "WOW" they looked perfect. If my memory serves me correctly they charged my card when they shipped them out.
Old 03-04-2008, 09:42 AM
ink003
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: htvsean1
When I brought mine I got the entire kit. I really don't see how you can install them properly with out it. I guess you could look around and get all the tools on your own and save a few bucks but its less trouble to getthe kitfrom them. It took about 2 months for them to paint and ship them out to me but when they arrived "WOW" they looked perfect. If my memory serves me correctly they charged my card when they shipped them out.
i think i'm gonna have to order today then - damn, how did you guys stand to wait that long?

Quick Reply: ?'s For Those W/. SHR Flush Louvers...