Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford Racing Gear Warning

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 05:31 PM
2cokeman
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Ford Racing Gear Warning

What gears are in from the factory? why don't they whine?
Old 03-06-2008, 05:53 PM
Timmay!!!
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: drbobvs

They'll never stop whining, and neither will you, so change them ASAP.
That isnot necessarily true. After I had my tru-trac installed my whine went down slightly, may have been a placebo effect. But after I installed my spydershaft, my whine was reduced immensely. Only way to hear it now is with the windows up radio off decelerating downfrom 60-55 and then you barely can hear it if you know what your listening for.

Sobetween the stock diff and two-piecedriveshaftI think those are the main reasons that S197s have so many gear whine issues.But as far as gear brands, GENUINE FORD RACING gears are the only way to go IMO.
Old 03-06-2008, 06:04 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

F**k this, I'm boycotting Italian products![:@]
I won't buys Ferraris anymore!!
Old 03-06-2008, 06:09 PM
brad281
4th Gear Member

^Why, you don't like seeing all the engine on fire on youtube?
Old 03-06-2008, 06:15 PM
harperfam

Criticism is not neccesary. Statements such as you should have read the forum or paid attention are not helpful. I made this post to be helpful to those who may not have seen the previous posts (like myself). It is easy to criticize and be a jerk,but moreimportant to help and thats what Iamtrying to do. FYI I do read the forums regularly but some of us have lives outside of the forums and can not monitor them 24/7. I appreciate all the responses from those trying tohelp. I have decided to replace the gears and am going to use genuine Ford Racing Gears. Even though I am not very happy with Ford right now. Also, I would like to give thanks to Late Model Restoration for thier assistance and allowing me to exchange the gears although I did not ask them to do so.They are truely a class act.
Old 03-06-2008, 06:48 PM
Timmay!!!
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: harperfam

Criticism is not neccesary. Statements such as you should have read the forum or paid attention are not helpful. I made this post to be helpful to those who may not have seen the previous posts (like myself). It is easy to criticize and be a jerk,but moreimportant to help and thats what Iamtrying to do. FYI I do read the forums regularly but some of us have lives outside of the forums and can not monitor them 24/7. I appreciate all the responses from those trying tohelp. I have decided to replace the gears and am going to use genuine Ford Racing Gears. Even though I am not very happy with Ford right now. Also, I would like to give thanks to Late Model Restoration for thier assistance and allowing me to exchange the gears although I did not ask them to do so.They are truely a class act.
LMR sent me a set of Motive gears. I ordered from them with the intent of trying a different set of gears to cure my whine. But they sent me motive gears as well. They may work well for the pervious generations of stangs but they seem to be troublesome for the S197 crowd. But gear setup is very important on these cars and even genuine FRPP gears will whine if not set up properly(mine did)
Old 03-18-2008, 01:34 PM
BigBore

I wanted to switch the gears on my 2007 GT Convertible automatic with the 3.55.
The FRPP code is M-4209-G355M
Are those from Motive as well?
Does anybody knows if they will whine?
Thanks for your help
Old 03-18-2008, 02:22 PM
jmk3
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BigBore

I wanted to switch the gears on my 2007 GT Convertible automatic with the 3.55.
The FRPP code is M-4209-G355M
Are those from Motive as well?
Does anybody knows if they will whine?
Thanks for your help

Waste of time to go from 3.31 to 3.55, go with 3.73 if you want to notice a difference, its a good choice for an auto, because of differences in internal gearing make it about the same as 4.10 in a manual. others may dissagree but there are some that went from 3.73 to 4.10 and did the same or worse in the 1/4
Old 03-18-2008, 03:09 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Summit racing sells both frpp part numbers for anyone interested.
Old 03-18-2008, 03:13 PM
Going for broke
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: harperfam

Thanks guys, I seen all the posts stating to stay away from Motive Gears but I didn't realize Ford was using thier gears under the Ford Racing Brand. Oh well live and learn.
most all the parts under the ford racing brand aren't made by ford motor co.They are labeled under Ford racing but manufactured by others.

Quick Reply: Ford Racing Gear Warning