Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what do you consider abuse?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 06:22 PM
blackS197
4th Gear Member

Default RE: what do you consider abuse?

If its NA mash on it all you want. aint going to blow it.
Old 03-06-2008, 06:39 PM
VistaGT
4th Gear Member

Guys the reason we bought 300hp V8 mustangs is to enjoy a 300hp V8mustang. SO DO IT!!!
Old 03-06-2008, 07:00 PM
surfbum7190
3rd Gear Member

1200 miles on an 07????? damn i got 18,500 on mine haha.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:08 PM
Larmo
4th Gear Member

drive it hard and never look back!
Old 03-06-2008, 07:13 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ohnoesaz

Our engines are really built no better than any other engine... Pistons are pistons, rods are rods, seals are seals, bearings are bearings... So it sort of scares me that we, especially those with manual trannies, rroutinely get up to 5K rpms in normal driving. Is this bad? Might be abuse...

Cold starts - Bad for the car. Can't help it..
Short trips - Bad. CAN help it. Take a longer route if its a shorter trip.
Burnouts aren't bad except for tires, its hard launching that slams on the rearend and tranny that can be abuse.

I agree except when you throw high performance parts into the mix, it adds engine life or at least allows for the engine to be run harder than normal to get the same longevity out of it.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:01 PM
jrhykushi
4th Gear Member

blacks197, don't feel lonely. i'm asian, too

anyways, as for the OP, since you only drive on the weekends, i'd say your car will last quite a while
Old 03-06-2008, 08:30 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

Lots of us autoX or track our cars. Its constant WOT to redlinefollowed by hard braking. It wears parts out faster, mainly brake pads and tires. Is it abuse? I don't know, maybe - but the cars hold together just fine and it sure is fun. I think I'd have to agree with some of the above posts, its pretty hard to hurt a N/A car, the rev limiter will save you and its not enough power to damage the tranny or drive train unless you're really stupid about it.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:38 PM
nv4gt ws
2nd Gear Member

this may sound dumb, what is a n/a car.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:51 PM
Burnsy
5th Gear Member

naturally aspirated

as opposed to FI (forced induction) think supercharger/turbo
Old 03-06-2008, 08:53 PM
Burnsy
5th Gear Member

Here is a pretty good list of terms used around the forum:

Technical Terms

Here's a great post by BlueStang6 on definitions of Commonly used terms.

49 STATE KIT - Exhaust or power adder certified (or at least not illegal by statute) for street use except in California

AXLE BACK– Exhaust piping and muffler system add-on (usually the muffler only) that connects to the existing system aft of the rear axle

A/F – Air/Fuel Ratio

BHP - "Brake" Horsepower. "Brake" is an old word for Dyno and is a measure of horsepower at the flywheel

BLOWER – Supercharger

BOLT-ON - Add-on or modification that is designed so that the car owner can usually do the install without special tools

BOV - Blow off valve

BULLITT - A wheel design used on the Mustang driven by Steve McQueen in the movie of the same name

CAI - Cold Air Induction

CARB # - A serial number issued by the California Air Resources Board that certifies an exhaust add-on meets emission regulations

CAT - Catalytic Converter

CATBACK – Exhaust piping and muffler system add-on that starts after the catalytic converter

CEL - Check Engine Light

CROSSOVER PIPE - Any type of mid-pipe which connects dual exhaust pipes starting from the cats

DOHC – Dual Overhead Cam

DRONE - A low frequency sound that occurs at a specific RPM (usually 1800 – 2200) while the engine is under load

EGR - Exhaust Gas Recirculation system or valve

FI – Fuel Injection

F/I – Forced Induction

FOX BODY - A lightweight unibody architecture used on Mustangs built from 1979 to 1993

HiPo - The high performance version of a power adder which increases reliability and performance over the standard version

H PIPE - A type of exhaust crossover pipe in the shape of an "H"

H/C/I - Short for Heads, Cam and Induction

HID - High Intensity Discharge headlights commonly called xenon because of the gas used in the lamps

ID - Inside Diameter

IAT - Incoming Air Temperature sensor

IUP - Interior Upgrade Package

JUICE or JUICED - Term used to describe cars using nitrous oxide injection systems

LCA – Lower Control Arm

LSD – Limited Slip Differential

LT - Long Tube Headers

MAF - Mass Air Flow sensor

MANDREL BEND - A pipe bending method which reduces turbulence and increases flow because the diameter of the pipe stays the same throughout

MCU - Master Control Unit

NA – Normally/Naturally aspirated engine (No F/I)

NOS - The brand name of a nitrous system from Nitrous Oxide Systems. NOS is wrongly used to describe all nitrous systems thanks to the movie The Fast and The Furious.

NOS (when used with a part description) - New, Old Stock is a spare part which is new meaning never used, but the part may have been sitting in a crate for 50 years

o2 SENSOR - A probe that indicates precisely how complete the combustion of the air/fuel mixture in the cylinders is by measuring the oxygen content of the exhaust gas and is the starting point for controlling the A/F

OD
- Outside Diameter

O/D - Overdrive

ODP - Overdrive Pulley

OEM
- Original Equipment Manufacturer

PANHARD BAR/ROD - A bolt on bar which may or may not be adjustable that relocates the rear axle to the center of the car

PCV - Positive Crankcase Ventilation system or valve

PLENUM
- Another way to say intake

RICE – Excessive combination of body panels, vendor decals, etc. You’ve seen them – usually cheap foreign cars with lawnmower engines and fart can mufflers (not to be confused with a RICE ROCKET which is very fast!)

RWHP – Horsepower measured at the rear wheel (on a rear wheel drive car) usually with a dynomometer

SC - Supercharger

SOHC – Single Overhead Cam

SHORTIES - Short tube headers

SNIFFER- Refers to Emissions testing

STALL SPEED - The engine RPM level at which the torque converter "locks" and overcomes whatever resistance is present - car weight, brakes on, etc. - and begins to spin the tires. The whole idea behind different stall speeds is to allow the car to launch at or just below the point where the engine makes the most torque. With the proper stall speed the engine can be revved to peak torque without breaking the tires loose. That way, the engine doesn't have to build up to the peak RPM point - all of the power is right there, on tap. The most important factors when selecting a torque converter is the camshaft, stall speed and weight of the car.

TAKE-OFFS - Stock exhaust, brakes, suspension or appearance parts taken off another car, usually a Mustang GT

TC - Turbocharger

TPS- Throttle Position Sensor

T-LOC – A clutch/spring type of LSD

TB - Throttle Body

TORQUE CONVERTER - In automatic transmissions it takes the place of the manual clutch and is used to transmit power from the engine to the driveshaft. (See also STALL SPEED)

TRUE DUALS – Exhaust piping without crossovers

TUNER - Hand held device which re-progams the car's computer for greater performance and efficiency

TURN DOWNS - Exhaust piping turned downward directly after mufflers with no tailpipes

TRUETRAC - The brand name of a gear type LSD made by the Detroit Locker division of Eaton Corp

TT – Twin Turbochargers

UCA
– Upper Control Arm

UDP - Underdrive Pulley

VERT- Convertible

WOT - Wide Open Throttle

Y PIPE - A type of exhaust mid-pipe, joining two pipes into one pipe, a second "y" can be used to split the pipes for a "fake"-dual exhaust setup

X PIPE - A type of exhaust crossover pipe in the shape of an "X"

Quick Reply: what do you consider abuse?