Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are spacers?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 01:32 PM
notsotipykal
1st Gear Member

Default What are spacers?

Guys, I have read some talk about people using spacers for their tire/rim combos and was wondering what they need them for. Also, if its what I'm thinking it is, can I use spacers on my stock 18's to have the tire protrude out a little from my fender to get that meaty look from the back ?

Mat
Old 03-09-2008, 02:44 PM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

Default RE: What are spacers?

Yes. A spacer is a circular metal plate that you install between the hub and the rim so that the rim/tires are moved outward a little.

There are basically two types. One type is just a metal plate and you need to use longer studs with it. The other type attaches to your existing studs and your tire attaches to the plate via studs that are built into the plate.
Old 03-09-2008, 03:28 PM
notsotipykal
1st Gear Member

can I use spacers on my stock 18's to have the tire protrude out a little from my fender to get that meaty look from the back? is this something common that people do? or are there reasons people dont do this?

mat
Old 03-09-2008, 03:54 PM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

I'm about to do just that. Some people claim spacers are not safe, and they are probably right if the spacer if really big...like 1" or more. I'm doing 5/8" spacers all around. Hopefully I can do it this Friday.
Old 03-09-2008, 04:05 PM
Wally39
4th Gear Member

Where are you going to buy your spacers? I think I might want a couple also.
Old 03-09-2008, 07:35 PM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

I've already bought and received them, Wally39. http://www.mustangwheelspacers.com/

Like I said, I got the 5/8" master kit. I am running 18x8.5 bullitt rims, which have a 50mm offset. This keeps them tucked in a little too much. With the 5/8" spacer, the rims will only have about a 34mm offset.
Old 03-09-2008, 09:27 PM
T
1st Gear Member

I wonder what wouldn't be safe about them. I can dee the front wheel might have an issue when at max turn, but the rears really shouldn't be effected. I would think a little wider stance should help with the center of gravity on cornering. Might be wrong, but sounds right
Old 03-09-2008, 09:43 PM
ThumperMX113
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: T

I wonder what wouldn't be safe about them. I can dee the front wheel might have an issue when at max turn, but the rears really shouldn't be effected. I would think a little wider stance should help with the center of gravity on cornering. Might be wrong, but sounds right
The studs have broken off in the past. Most wheel spacers now a days are built a lot better though. However wheel spacers are going to cause your suspension components and wheel bearings to wear out faster since it's putting more of a load on them.
Old 03-09-2008, 09:58 PM
T
1st Gear Member

That makes sense. Although i wonder if that is covered in the warranty hahaha. i think suspension is 5yr 75k miles
Old 03-09-2008, 10:02 PM
ThumperMX113
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: T

That makes sense. Although i wonder if that is covered in the warranty hahaha. i think suspension is 5yr 75k miles
I'm not quite sure. I'd be willing to bet most suspension parts and bearings are wear parts meaning the warranty doesn't apply to them. Of course there are exceptions to that at the dealer's willingness.

Quick Reply: What are spacers?