Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Uncommon" rattle driving me crazy...

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 09:22 AM
richmod
4th Gear Member

Default "Uncommon" rattle driving me crazy...

I say uncommon because I haven't seen any posts mentioning it.

It's a driver side door rattle, coming from near the B-pillar. It's a rapid ticking type of noise, worse on rougher roads, but still does it on smooth roads. It's basically there all the time. It's not like a "something is loose" rattle, it's more of a "two things making contact" type of ticking noise. Here's the kicker, if I pull slightly on the upper door panel (grab it with finger between door and window) it stops. It doesn't matter where along the length of the door panelI pull. Also, when not moving, if I slightly pull and push the door panel in the same way, I can hear the tick sound. It's not the window - if I press on that, it doesn't stop.

I have wedged a silicone button thingy (the kind you put on the inside of cabinet doors) between the upper door panel and the rubber window molding back by the B-pillar, so it's constantly pushing the door molding, and that gets rid of about 90% of it, but the silicone thingy won't stay there since the window going up and down moves it.

I want to locate the source of this rattle and fix it. I tried looking in the door jam area, even put some foam tape there where the door meets the jamb - no help. Anyone else have this rattle?
Old 03-12-2008, 09:32 AM
TheDutchTexan
4th Gear Member

Default RE: "Uncommon" rattle driving me crazy...

I've had a ticking noise come from that general area, but in my case it's the black trim on the outside of the door. I pressed down on it while driving with the windows down and it stops. Now I just ignore it. I can't even hear it anymore. It's no BMW 7 series. It's a mustang. Besides, it makes a lot less noise than my Peugeot 405 I had back in Holland...
Old 03-12-2008, 09:48 AM
richmod
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Justice

I've had a ticking noise come from that general area, but in my case it's the black trim on the outside of the door. I pressed down on it while driving with the windows down and it stops. Now I just ignore it. I can't even hear it anymore. It's no BMW 7 series. It's a mustang. Besides, it makes a lot less noise than my Peugeot 405 I had back in Holland...
Okay - I appreciate the response, but please...let's not make this a "it's a Mustang, not a Lexus" thread.I am aware of that thanks. I have plenty of muscle car rattles that don't bother me. THIS one, however, is constant and in my left ear all day, so i'd like to get rid of it.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:52 AM
Qusus
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: richmod

ORIGINAL: Justice

Okay - I appreciate the response, but please...let's not make this a "it's a Mustang, not a Lexus" thread. I am aware of that thanks. I have plenty of muscle car rattles that don't bother me. THIS one, however, is constant and in my left ear all day, so i'd like to get rid of it.

+1

Also, some BMW 7-series have a ridiculous amount of rattles.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:53 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

I feel your pain. I have a weird noise coming from the back of my car. Taking it into the dealership on Monday to have them try and fix it. Sounds like two pieces of plastic or styrofoam rubbing together. Appears to be from behind one of the rear interior panels. Hopefully they won't charge me to fix this. IMO I shouldn't have to pay for anything since the car is an 06 with less than 6000 miles on it. I understand having to deal with that crap on a 10 year old car but this is something else.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:11 AM
feejay
2nd Gear Member

It's the small trapezoid shaped piece of trim in the middle of the door panel, just inside the armrest.

Put your hand on it while youre driving and see if the noise disappears. The upper front tab on that piece doesnt hold the panel in tight enough. A little double sided tape and you will be set.

Drove me crazy until my wife pushed against thearmrest whem we were out one night and the noise stopped on her side. Took me weeks to find the damnrattle.

Old 03-12-2008, 12:01 PM
richmod
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: feejay

It's the small trapezoid shaped piece of trim in the middle of the door panel, just inside the armrest.

Put your hand on it while youre driving and see if the noise disappears. The upper front tab on that piece doesnt hold the panel in tight enough. A little double sided tape and you will be set.

Drove me crazy until my wife pushed against thearmrest whem we were out one night and the noise stopped on her side. Took me weeks to find the damnrattle.

Unfortunately, been there, done that. Already foam taped it. It's not coming from there.
Old 03-12-2008, 01:08 PM
rogan01
3rd Gear Member

I get a rattle and it is coming from the plastic piece right behind the door handle. If I hold it, the rattle stops. I think there was a post about this that made me check.

Maybe this is it? Good luck.
Old 03-12-2008, 01:17 PM
richmod
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rogan01

I get a rattle and it is coming from the plastic piece right behind the door handle. If I hold it, the rattle stops. I think there was a post about this that made me check.

Maybe this is it? Good luck.
Unfortunately, been there, done that. Already foam taped it. It's not coming from there.