Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

APOLOGY for Octane Booster

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 04:43 PM
1morepart
4th Gear Member

Default APOLOGY for Octane Booster

I want to apologize to the entire forum for my misleading Ford Motor Company by not telling them about putting in octane booster in my gas tank.....Before my original post was made and deleted, I read a few of everyone's comments. I decided to do the right thing and tell the mechanic that I put the octane booster in, unknowing that it would destroy my spark plugs! He told me that by doing so, it voided the warranty for free replacement. I told him to go ahead and install the new plugs and I would pay out of the pocket for the cost. I watched him pull all the plugs and they were toast after only 1000 miles on the motor. He ran diagnostics again, but didn't find anything. He replaced them with new plugs and the hesitation above 4000 rpms was GONE...I thanked him and gladly and honestly paid the 135 dollars for the work. I apologize to everyone for attepting to "run a scandal". I was an idiot. I thank everyone for alerting me to this. In the end, I paid for what "I did" to the motor...I wish I would have asked everyone about octane booster to begin with, so I would have never put it in. Please except my apology because I did the right thing. I am sorry to have pissed so many people off......I would love to hear some feed back.
thanks for the moral. I needed it!
Old 03-12-2008, 04:47 PM
exx1976
5th Gear Member

Default RE: APOLOGY for Octane Booster

I must've missed something somewhere.. Octance booster = bad for these cars? I have a 93 tune on my car, and I've always told myself that if I ever got stuck having to buy 91 while on a road tripe or something, I'd just put some octane booster in it to bring it up where it needed to be... Bad idea?? What's up? No Fireball or any of that stuff?
Old 03-12-2008, 04:47 PM
99flhr
2nd Gear Member

Most people todaycan`t pronounce the words " I was wrong" My hat`s off to you.
Old 03-12-2008, 04:51 PM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: exx1976

I must've missed something somewhere.. Octance booster = bad for these cars? I have a 93 tune on my car, and I've always told myself that if I ever got stuck having to buy 91 while on a road tripe or something, I'd just put some octane booster in it to bring it up where it needed to be... Bad idea?? What's up? No Fireball or any of that stuff?
Too high octane is not as bad as too low octane, but if octane gets too much higher than what the engine is timed for then yes, the less explosive higher octane gas can cause major problems in a lesser timed engine. In this case he put in 104 octane booster. Who knows, his octane may have evened out to like 98-99. Yikes.
Old 03-12-2008, 04:54 PM
1morepart
4th Gear Member

ocatne booster is horrible...put gas in your tank! I learned the hard way....Some might name a product they say works, but be careful

thanks 99flhr!
Old 03-12-2008, 04:58 PM
exx1976
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ohnoesaz

Too high octane is not as bad as too low octane, but if octane gets too much higher than what the engine is timed for then yes, the less explosive higher octane gas can cause major problems in a lesser timed engine. In this case he put in 104 octane booster. Who knows, his octane may have evened out to like 98-99. Yikes.
So I should use red loctite then instead of Fireball? That should be good for a few octane points, right?
Old 03-12-2008, 05:02 PM
wasvette
3rd Gear Member

1morepart -
As you go through life, you're going to reflect on this situation and how this is the best $135 you've ever spent. We can all get over on anyone if we want, owning a mistake isour true test.
Good stuff!!!
Old 03-12-2008, 05:17 PM
mhconley
2nd Gear Member

There are too few honest people in this world. Glad to hearyou stepped up and did the right thing! Karma...

Martin
Old 03-12-2008, 05:22 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

shame on you
Old 03-12-2008, 05:28 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ohnoesaz

Since the higher octane burns slower and cooler than lower octane, I don't see an issue with higher octane number by themselves. It depends on what the octane booster was made of. That is likely the culprit. Things like acetone and the like can FUBAR plugs.

Quick Reply: APOLOGY for Octane Booster