Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

soundproofing doors

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 07:55 AM
CrazyHorse0217
2nd Gear Member

Default soundproofing doors

Got some Damplifier yesterday, (cheaper than Dynamat) and gonna start soundproofing this weekend. When soundproofing the doors, should I lay the soundproofing to the inside of the outide door skin (if I can get to it), or to the sheet metal inside the door. I would think the sheet metal inside the door, on theinteriorside, but I'm not sure if everything will fit back together unless I put it on the exterior side of the sheet metal. Ithink it's gonna be pretty difficult to get toeither theexterior sideof the sheet metal or the interior side of the outer skin.

Anyideas would be appreciated. I haven't started yet, so just trying to get some ideas before I get my door apart.

Old 03-14-2008, 11:08 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Default RE: soundproofing doors

Get spray on soundproofing for the outer door skin.
Thedoor panelswont fit back on if you put it on the face
of the interior skin under the door panels.

Pic

[IMG]local://upfiles/69445/85D52482FAE942C88FCA9A4237179218.jpg[/IMG]
Old 03-14-2008, 02:36 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

You should be able to have some access to the outer door skin with the window rolled up. I don't know if adding sound proofing material to that is going to make that much difference.
Old 03-14-2008, 03:16 PM
lrgnation
4th Gear Member

both sides heres the pics of mine.

I used damplifier as well. Your doors are gonna be solid as hell I would focus more on that plastic door panel because well thats where all the crap is anyways. If you like fiberglass, glass the inside of the abs enclosure. Thats what I will be doing next but i hate fiberglass....

Old 03-14-2008, 03:40 PM
GT06GT
2nd Gear Member

+1 to the spray over the mat on your doors. After about 4 years in my previous car, the car was outside all day on a very hot sunny day and it caused the dynamat to flap down a little bit. Long story short, rolled down the window, flap stuck to it, Flap came sticking out on my glass and F'ed up my glass, window alignment, and motor. Id say the mat is fine for the floor but I would only do spray on doors now just because you dont ever want to have to deal with that. Only takes 1 little piece to come off for it to happen, even if the rest of them stayed down
Old 03-14-2008, 04:01 PM
tire31539
2nd Gear Member

Ideally you want to do multipile layers of deadening on the inside and outside of the door, and the door panels as well. Be sure to at least have multiple layers on the outer door skin directly behind the door subs. There's a great how to article on adding sound deadening on here, it's in the big sticky that lists all of the how to articles. Dunno if you've seen it before, but it's very helpful.

Hope this helps a little bit.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:26 PM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: lrgnation

both sides heres the pics of mine.

I used damplifier as well. Your doors are gonna be solid as hell I would focus more on that plastic door panel because well thats where all the crap is anyways. If you like fiberglass, glass the inside of the abs enclosure. Thats what I will be doing next but i hate fiberglass....

I'll try to find the "how to article" but could you tell me how difficult is it to remove/replace the door panels?
Old 03-15-2008, 03:39 PM
CrazyHorse0217
2nd Gear Member

I'm done. I only did the inside of the outer skin because the inner sheet metal just doesn't have a lot of area. I also did the whole trunk (not the lid) and under the back seats.

BIG difference. The stereo sounds much better and there the car is much quieter.

Only problem, I can't hear my mufflers anymore.

Not that hard to do the doors panels. Just do a search. Leave the windows up so you can access the outer skin. Pull up the bottom half of the moisture barrier and you will be able to do the whole door.
Old 03-15-2008, 03:47 PM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CrazyHorse0217

I'm done. I only did the inside of the outer skin because the inner sheet metal just doesn't have a lot of area. I also did the whole trunk (not the lid) and under the back seats.

BIG difference. The stereo sounds much better and there the car is much quieter.

Only problem, I can't hear my mufflers anymore.

Not that hard to do the doors panels. Just do a search. Leave the windows up so you can access the outer skin. Pull up the bottom half of the moisture barrier and you will be able to do the whole door.
"Only problem, I can't hear my mufflers anymore."
That's fine.. everyone else still can!
Old 03-15-2008, 04:15 PM
Shock521
2nd Gear Member

door panel removal.pdf

i too plan on sound deadening my doors in the near future.

Quick Reply: soundproofing doors