Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SLP exhaust & backpressure

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 11:04 AM
SemperFi789
2nd Gear Member

Default SLP exhaust & backpressure

so i have a v6 that i just got back from the dealer and they said that some of the problems i was having was due to the backpressure of my exhaust in combination with my aftermarket intake...my question is there any way i can keep the slp lm exhaust and have more back pressure with the exhaust
Old 03-14-2008, 11:16 AM
PiggySmallz
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: SLP exhaust & backpressure

what kind of problems were you having? As far as the backpressure issue, the only problem I see it causing is losing a little bit of low end torque
Old 03-14-2008, 11:19 AM
SemperFi789
2nd Gear Member

well they said with my aftermarket intake and exhaust that as fast as the air was going in it was coming out, im not exactly sure on everything but they ended up having to change the throttle body, air to fuel sensor, battery and some other stuff i dno why..
Old 03-14-2008, 11:27 AM
PiggySmallz
3rd Gear Member

you have factory cats? that's plenty of back pressure if you ask me. There's a few guys on here running Longtubes with offroad pipes and loudmouths without a problem. I mean I'm sure down the road it could start causing them some problems but I assume you have the cats in, so why would they replace the air fuel sensors (02 sensors i assume)? Also the battery and throttle body? Was this covered under warranty or did you pay out of pocket? I assume they tried to blame it on you because of the "lack of backpressure"
Old 03-14-2008, 11:38 AM
SemperFi789
2nd Gear Member

yeah they did blame it on me as far as the factory cats, i still have them....im lucky the dealer actually helped me out, they could have charged me a lot for what they did....they covered it under warranty
Old 03-14-2008, 11:39 AM
SemperFi789
2nd Gear Member

now my father wants me to put my violators back on so i have more backpressure but i cant deal with that sound again, so i wanted to know what else i can do to keep the slps on with more backpressure
Old 03-14-2008, 11:40 AM
PiggySmallz
3rd Gear Member

what kind of problems were you having that you brought it into the dealer?
Old 03-14-2008, 11:44 AM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

I lost immense torque with my SLP loudmouths... It stunk, even with factory cats. Putting on shorty headers with nice long primary tubes and good collectors seems to have helped out alot.

But its true, you lose alot with the loudmouths.
Old 03-14-2008, 11:55 AM
PiggySmallz
3rd Gear Member

yea but even so, you didn't wind up at the dealer because of what they call back pressure problems. You didn't need a new throttle body, O2 sensors and battery lol
Old 03-14-2008, 12:10 PM
SemperFi789
2nd Gear Member

well to sum it up kind of short, my battery was dead and i couldnt take it to the dealer because i didnt have my dashboard on the car including the airbag because i was waitng to get the new one in the mail. i got one last jump to drive home where i put my dashboard on. the next morning i got ready to take the car to the dealer, retuned the car back to stock, and jumped it. from there, the car wasnt really responding to any throttle. i would press it down all the way and the car wouldnt really respond, it was gargaling and was stalling out. had to end up getting a tow, and the dealer had it for 4 days....changed the battery throttle body, 02 sensor, and possible something else im not sure of. and they blamed it on my intake and exhaust

Quick Reply: SLP exhaust & backpressure