Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4:10's INSTALLED TODAY

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 06:41 PM
2k6silvergt
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: 4:10's INSTALLED TODAY

I had motive 4.10 gears and was fairly happy with them. I did have a little whine from them but after doing the exhaust and supercharger I didn't hear it anymore. My mechanic had the same problem though, it took him a while to get everything shimmed right. You will love the 4.10s though.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:43 PM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

Grats on the gears!! Mine have been in for about a month. Because of my low driving miles, I am still a bit hesitant....But they are without a doubt the best mod right behind the CAI and Tune....

Enjoy.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:48 PM
Whiteflash454
3rd Gear Member

realspeed treated me with total respect
Old 03-14-2008, 08:59 PM
ajaibr
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: harperfam

Motive gears are junk I don't care if Carroll Shelby himself installs them. I had motive gears installed by a very good mechanic and they whined like hell. So then I had the same mechanic install true FRPP gears and presto no whine at all. By the way it took him 10 hours to install the motive gears because they had to be shimmed over and over and about 3 hours to install the FRPP. Don't make the same mistake I did.
It's all about the install... Whine is a sure sign that they were not installed properly... Blame it on the gear or w/e you want to blame it on... A gear doesn't whine because it was made by a particular company.... If you had someone install your Motive gear and didn't go complain to the installer, it's your own fault for not asking more of your mechanic and for accepting an answer like "It's because it's a Motive gear"... Thats the dumbest thing I've ever heard... If you doubt or question the quality of Strange Engineering then you're simply uneducated and your opinion is not needed on this subject.... Sorry to be so blunt about it but when it comes to Strange, good luck argueing it.... If you're not capable of installing gears yourself and are relying on someone elses opinion, you better check your sources better...
Old 03-14-2008, 10:13 PM
sonicmetalicS197
2nd Gear Member

sweet. i cant wait to get some 4.10's
Old 03-14-2008, 10:14 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

Why break em in for 500 miles? We don't do that to new car gears. What's the diff?
Old 03-14-2008, 10:22 PM
Fourth Horseman
2nd Gear Member

Grats on the gears! I just had my 4.10:1 gears installed yesterday (Thursday). As you say, I want to romp on it but I'm going to wait for the recommend 500 miles and let them work in properly. I can already tell, though, that this is how the car should have been setup from the factory. I knew it'd be good, though, as I felt the same way when I had the 4.10s installed in my Marauder. It's made both my cars so much more lively and fun to drive.
Old 03-14-2008, 10:30 PM
nostangman

Wouldthe different gears give you better gas mileage due to the fact that you must be in a higher gear than before to go the same speed? This is disregarding the fact that you are more likely to romp on it .
Old 03-14-2008, 10:34 PM
whtcanbrwnd04u
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nostangman

Wouldthe different gears give you better gas mileage due to the fact that you must be in a higher gear than before to go the same speed? This is disregarding the fact that you are more likely to romp on it .
worse. higher rpms.
Old 03-14-2008, 10:40 PM
MustangBatman1
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: harperfam

Motive gears are junk I don't care if Carroll Shelby himself installs them. I had motive gears installed by a very good mechanic and they whined like hell. So then I had the same mechanic install true FRPP gears and presto no whine at all. By the way it took him 10 hours to install the motive gears because they had to be shimmed over and over and about 3 hours to install the FRPP. Don't make the same mistake I did.
I've had motive 4.10's for the last 4k miles, no whine at all, I really think it comes down to how they're installed, maybe they just need a little finesse to get them on right.

Quick Reply: 4:10's INSTALLED TODAY