Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Performance mods that don't negatively affect daily driving

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 09:56 AM
0din
1st Gear Member

Default Performance mods that don't negatively affect daily driving

I'm starting to do a couple of mods to the '08 GT (5-speed with 3.55's) I picked up a few weeks ago. My goal is to do any performance mods I can do that don't negatively affect daily drivability. I drive about 25K miles per year, mostly city driving,in the Texas heat.

I would like to install a Whipple SC after the warranty expires on the car, so that will be a couple of years down the road. In the meantime...

First mod was ordered last week, a C&L CAI and SCT with Brenspeed tune.

The verdict on 4.10's seems to be debatable, some people say it doesn't hurt mileage and some day it cuts several MPG off. Driving 25K miles per year I'd rather not take 3-4 MPG off with one mod if I can help it. Also, the 4.10 gears don't increase horsepower.

Under drive pulleys seem popular, but I question if they would hurt the AC performance in the summer, and if the charging system would have any problems with a couple of amps added to the audio system.

I've heard that headers don't do much on a stock motor, but would any exhaust mods give a noticable increase in horsepower/performance?

Any other mods that will increase power without hurting the DD?
Old 03-18-2008, 10:05 AM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Performance mods that don't negatively affect daily driving

You could do nitrous. It wont affect daily driving assuming that you arent using it every day.
Old 03-18-2008, 10:10 AM
trigger06
2nd Gear Member

Forget MPG.... If you wanted mpg, you would have bought a corrolla. Gears are a very cost effective way to get more acceleration.
Old 03-18-2008, 10:11 AM
0din
1st Gear Member

True, but I don't believe in using nitrous. It's like steroids. I knew a guy with a Yugo with nitrous (and 16 15" subs in the back of the Yugo). The car would fly on the bottle, but it wasn't a fast car. Just not for me.
Old 03-18-2008, 10:11 AM
GRABBER CS
3rd Gear Member

Exhaust does nothing on these cars. My hubby has an 07 gt and has 3.73 gears, longtube headers and prochambers, pulleys and pypes midmufflers and intake with brenspeed tune and he has about 35 hp more than me and you can feel it. I wouldnt mess with the gears though.
Old 03-18-2008, 10:34 AM
phatphil
3rd Gear Member

The C/L and tune is a good start, an electric water pump is a good addition that can be used in the future ( With S/C). Headers can be a costly addition that quite frankly really doesn't give much bang for the buck, except in the future ( S/C). An aluminum drive-shaft is a nice addition, which doesn't produce H/P but frees it up. Gears are a great addition, but they can be the most aggravating if not done properly. The best thing you can do is the one you've already done, starting with ( Brenspeed ), they'll give you good direction and advice with excellent service.
Old 03-18-2008, 10:37 AM
0din
1st Gear Member

Aluminum driveshart seems like a good mod, although a bit expensive for what I expect to be a very minimal change in performance.

What about the UDP's?
Old 03-18-2008, 10:47 AM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

UDPs will help you out a little bit, but you will have to take them off when you do your blower.
Old 03-18-2008, 10:50 AM
phatphil
3rd Gear Member

The electric water pump gives you the same benefit as theUDP's and can be utilized in future mods. This frees up around 5 h.p. maybe more. The al. driveshaft lets your motor spin easier by reducing rotational weight, stock driveshaft around 46lbs. vs al. driveshaft 19lbs. If you have a manual tranny then an excellent mod is the MGW shifter, expensive but absoulutely the best.
Old 03-18-2008, 10:51 AM
torch red
4th Gear Member

the CAI is a must ..other then that and when your ready for a SC..i would spend a few bucks in Suspension first..Drop the car..

Wont really mess up your warranty ..ie..engine...and great for corner carving.. and maybe some nice wheel tire combo...

Start slow and work from the ground up like suspension and then brakes..then when u get your SC your car will be able to handle it..

Quick Reply: Performance mods that don't negatively affect daily driving