Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust Mid Pipe Questions?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 08:47 PM
skyflier1971

Default Exhaust Mid Pipe Questions?

Four questions, please help.

Here's my setup - 08 GT - Car is All stock except for Corsa axle backs.

Now I'm wondering?

1. How would the exhaust sound change if I swapped the stock mid-pipe to a O/R H or X and which one would be louder?

2. Would I get any increase in power by changing the mid-pipe?

3. Would changing the mid-pipe cause my car to have a drone even with the Corsa mufflers?

4. And, Does changing the mid-pipe void the warranty on my engine?

I've watched the youtube clips (O/R w/Corsa's) in the exhaust thread, but it's really hard to tell. So any information is appreciated.

Thanks,
skyflier1971
Old 03-18-2008, 09:11 PM
mynameismike65
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Exhaust Mid Pipe Questions?

ORIGINAL: skyflier1971

Four questions, please help.

Here's my setup - 08 GT - Car is All stock except for Corsa axle backs.

Now I'm wondering?

1. How would the exhaust sound change if I swapped the stock mid-pipe to a O/R H or X and which one would be louder?

2. Would I get any increase in power by changing the mid-pipe?

3. Would changing the mid-pipe cause my car to have a drone even with the Corsa mufflers?

4. And, Does changing the mid-pipe void the warranty on my engine?

I've watched the youtube clips (O/R w/Corsa's) in the exhaust thread, but it's really hard to tell. So any information is appreciated.

Thanks,
skyflier1971
Changing to an O/R midpipe would be significantly louder then your setup is already.....O/R X will be more raspy/tinny while the H would be deeper and more muscular. As far as gains you wont really see much...a couple of HP but not enough to notice. In terms of your engines warranty dont worry about it.....it wont hurt it or anything and if you have to take your car in for any reason just put the stock H back on. Remember MIL eliminators (for check engine light).
Old 03-18-2008, 09:12 PM
mynameismike65
4th Gear Member

BTW sound clips/vids do no justice.........my Macs sound COMPLETELY different in person then when I video taped them.
Old 03-19-2008, 07:50 PM
skyflier1971

ORIGINAL: mynameismike65

Changing to an O/R midpipe would be significantly louder then your setup is already.....O/R X will be more raspy/tinny while the H would be deeper and more muscular. As far as gains you wont really see much...a couple of HP but not enough to notice. In terms of your engines warranty dont worry about it.....it wont hurt it or anything and if you have to take your car in for any reason just put the stock H back on. Remember MIL eliminators (for check engine light).
Sorry, for most I know this will be a dumb question. But I'm a little new at this so please have mercy.

What exactly does the O/R mid-pipe do to make the exhaust note change? Is it larger in diameter? I'm guessing it's less restrictive? Doesn't the over the axle part of my exhaust stay the same or should I have that part of the exhaust custom built to fit the O/R pipe and my muffler inlet?
Old 03-19-2008, 08:39 PM
2k6silvergt
2nd Gear Member

The o/r midpipe gets rid of your cats, which makes the car louder and less restricted. It will be the same diameter and the over the axle will remain the same unless you decide to go with a 3 in system.
Old 03-19-2008, 09:03 PM
skyflier1971

ORIGINAL: 2k6silvergt

The o/r midpipe gets rid of your cats, which makes the car louder and less restricted. It will be the same diameter and the over the axle will remain the same unless you decide to go with a 3 in system.
Ahh, now I'm starting to understand. Thanks for the help.