Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulling Transmission!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 12:14 PM
05MustangSally
4th Gear Member

Default Pulling Transmission!!!

Hello Fellow Stangers!

For months now, I've had issues with going into second gear in my manual. Downshifting and shifting from first, both ways. A lot of times, it rejects it and pops out or has trouble going in without force. I HATE to force my car into gears...! I did some research and came to the conclusion that my problem may potentially be that my synchro has gone bad.

I'm planning to pull the transmission within the next 2 months (by May before moving) and replace the sychro (if that is indeed the problem). I'm actually pretty excited to do this because I'd like to get more hands on with this car The extended warranty has officially ended as of yesterday (hit 62K miles) so I have endless possibilites now. I'd like to take advantage of pulling the transmission and maybe doing a bit more to it or the car while it's out.

I was hoping anyone here might share their experiences with pulling the transmission on these cars (particularly the 4.0 manual). Any suggestions on replacements or upgrades while I'm at it? Thank you ahead of time for the input!!!
Old 03-19-2008, 12:55 PM
Black05StangGT
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Pulling Transmission Soon!

All I can say is good luck and I hope for your sake you aren't doing it on your back...I changed theclutch in my 99 Cobra on my back once and I will never do that again...having a lift FTW! I later had to pull the clutch again because I was having an issue with the throw out bearing...took it to a friends shop had the tranny out of the car and back in, in like 1.5 hours...
Old 03-19-2008, 01:16 PM
05MustangSally
4th Gear Member

Right now, that's looking to best our only choice. I'm trying to figure out if I can use a friend of the family's lift at his smog shop. That would be very helpful! But worst comes to worse, we'll do it the hard way. It won't be me on my back, it will be the bf though. This won't be a first time so I'm not too worried. Did a auto to manual swap on his 76 Blazer once, now THAT is tough
Old 03-19-2008, 01:24 PM
cavediver
3rd Gear Member

I've replaced the Toploader 4-speed in my 67 390GT "by myself, on my back, car on ramps and jack-stands and with a large floor jack to support the tranny" so it can be done. The cast iron Toploader weighs alot more than the Tremac !

A lift with afriend and a tranny jack is the best way but not the only way.
Old 03-19-2008, 02:14 PM
05MustangSally
4th Gear Member

Exactly! He did used a jack and 2 lifts to pull the blazer tranny out on his own. Tough guys!

ORIGINAL: cavediver

I've replaced the Toploader 4-speed in my 67 390GT "by myself, on my back, car on ramps and jack-stands and with a large floor jack to support the tranny" so it can be done. The cast iron Toploader weighs alot more than the Tremac !

A lift with afriend and a tranny jack is the best way but not the only way.
Old 03-19-2008, 02:42 PM
smythge
4th Gear Member

Since you warranty "offically" ran out yesterday I have a silly question,why didn't bring into the dealer and get it fixed before the warranty ran out?
Old 03-19-2008, 03:50 PM
05MustangSally
4th Gear Member

The first time I took it in the end of 2007, they said nothing was wrong. It got worse in the last 2 months. So I had a feeling they would say warranty doesn't cover it...just like they said with the driver door handle not springing back. Plus, I don't really feel like letting them keep my car for a week and charging me.

ORIGINAL: smythge

Since you warranty "offically" ran out yesterday I have a silly question,why didn't bring into the dealer and get it fixed before the warranty ran out?
Old 03-19-2008, 04:23 PM
JRT1
4th Gear Member

OMG take it in tomorrow and tell them it is still doing the same thing it was when you had it in last time.
Insist on a warranty repair, getting "more hands on" with your car does not include pulling a transmission and trying to repair a gear that you know nothing about.
Do you really understand the huge task at hand? [&:]
Old 03-19-2008, 06:26 PM
smythge
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JRT1

OMG take it in tomorrow and tell them it is still doing the same thing it was when you had it in last time.
Insist on a warranty repair, getting "more hands on" with your car does not include pulling a transmission and trying to repair a gear that you know nothing about.
Do you really understand the huge task at hand? [&:]
+1000
Old 03-19-2008, 06:31 PM
408ttrt
I ♥ Acer

It can be done but I would at least try to make the dealer fix it....

Quick Reply: Pulling Transmission!!!