Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ordering my mustang need help with options asap ambient lighting ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 10:59 AM
lundis
1st Gear Member

Default RE: ordering my mustang need help with options asap ambient lighting ?

ORIGINAL: ensign_lee

<rant> Going for broke: How did you pull that holdback number out of your butt? Holdback is calcaulated as a percentage of MSRP, not invoice. And for Ford Blue Oval dealers, it's 4.5%. So .045 * 37.5k car (37.5k being a reasonable MSRP for a car that invoices at 35k) = $1687. Then factor in rebates from Ford (right now, it's at about $1000 if you don't qualify for any special ones. It was at $2000 right before the end of 2007), and you get to lower the invoice by that much more. Now, if you can get even lower than that, you cut into their holdback.

I got my stang for ~$2500 under invoice. $2000 of that was rebates, so the dealer got the money, just from Ford instead of me, and then I cut into the holdback about $500. My car MSRPed for ~$35k, so holdback was about $1500. In the end, the dealership earneda bout $1000 in about 3 hours time. I'd consider that MORE than fair. Don't you? And this doesn't even take into account volume bonuses, etc. that the dealership gets.

Furthermore, it's not our job to overpay to support the livelihood of others. If they're willing to do it, there's no reason not to push for a lower price.

</end rant>

K, back on topic. If you like ambient lighting, go ahead and get it. If my stang had had it already equipped, it definitely wouldn't have been a deal breaker for me. I actually think it's pretty cool, just not $300 worth of cool. You can always get some aftermarket ones for less, so yeah. Anyway, hope that helped. Enjoy your new stang when you get it!
you got ripped....ford was paying that rebate out anyway...so you just handed the dealer sticker price, full profit for them. i paid 100 UNDER invoice for my car, including a 500 dollar rebate (this was september 07 when i got mine) they got their holdback, they made their money, and i didnt pay over invoice.
Old 03-21-2008, 11:04 AM
Going for broke
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ensign_lee

<I got my stang for ~$2500 under invoice. $2000 of that was rebates, so the dealer got the money, just from Ford instead of me, and then I cut into the holdback about $500. My car MSRPed for ~$35k, so holdback was about $1500. In the end, the dealership earneda bout $1000 in about 3 hours time. I'd consider that MORE than fair. Don't you? And this doesn't even take into account volume bonuses, etc. that the dealership gets.

Furthermore, it's not our job to overpay to support the livelihood of others. If they're willing to do it, there's no reason not to push for a lower price.

</end rant>
Well unless you bought your unit as it rolled off the truck there are these things called floorplan charges.. a unit sitting on a lot for 90 days will all but chew up any and all holdback on a unit. so you feel they made 1500 because you don't truly know what holdback is and I'm hear to tell you that unless the extra $500 they knocked off after the customer rebate was dealer cash they passed onto you I can promise you they lost money on your deal if it was on there lot for more then 45-60 days.. I really don't care it happens. I sell used cars and occasionally lose money but to tell someone that they should be able to pay $2500 back of invoice without knowing what the whole story is makes a potential customer feel they aren't getting a good deal when in reality it's as fair as to what the two partys invoolved agree on. My best and happiest customers are the ones that pay the most. I have the most respect for them as they do for me. My worst customers are the idiots like you that thinks everything should be giving it to you...no reason to reply as I'm done here.
Old 03-21-2008, 11:27 AM
Joolander
Lord High Protector

ORIGINAL: Going for broke

I pulled the holdback off of the invoice of my own car. I work for a Ford dealer so I think it's safe to assume I know what the holdback is. All dealers pay the same invoice price however different regions have different incentives, programs, lease residuals andsometimes retailpricing (option package savings etc.) I Never saidholdback was calculated on invoice I was just using my invoice as an example My car stickers for 37,710 invoice is 34863.98, d plan is 33578.98 abd the TOTAL HOLDBACK IS1104. I'm not sure where you got your info but it's wrong. not here to argue but only proving my statement.

just what do you have on your car that makes it sticker for near $38K? I've got a GT/CS with nearly every option availble (except auto), stickered for $34K, and with X-plan and a little negotiation, I paid $27K

just wondering...
Old 03-21-2008, 11:47 AM
mrwglo
1st Gear Member

Back on topic.... I like the ambient lighting, but of course it's not an option in my '06. Anyone know of a good/inconspicuous aftermarket way of doing this. Any kits out there?
Old 03-21-2008, 12:10 PM
ChiDiddy
4th Gear Member

I'd skip the shaker 1000 and get the appearance package,comfort package and the ambient lighting for about the same 1295 the shaker costs... when I was dealer locating my car I was shocked to see that in the 50 or so cars that were dimilar to my requirements only 2 had the shaker 1000 and these were mustangs that stickered from between 37 and 40k not stripped models.
invoice is a fair price and don't let others tell you different.

As for the guy that wants to rip the dealer off so they make nothing (Chidaddy).. I'm sure you have a job to get the things you want and it's badenough that Ford gives the dealer invoice outwhen you build a car on the website so just imagine where your job would be if your company you work for didn't make any money. I'll give you a clue you wouldn't have one. Do you go to the grocery store and negotiate the price on a gallon of milk? Invoice is fair but asking them to give up holdback and adv.is plain being greedy.
The only way I think your buddy got one for 2k back of invoice would be from a factory rebate, at least get your story straight.
Holdback on a 35k invoicemustang is exactly 1104.I think they deserve that don't you??

I do however agree with you that the shaker 500 is more them sufficient.
get my facts straight? get YOUR facts straight. there was no rebate for 08 when he bought it. Me being greedy? I could care less how much a dealer makes. You think they arent making money? Your obviously a nieve fool. i dont give a rat @ss however much they make. If its MY MONEY that i work hard for, im not going to GIVE it to someone. You go ahead and continue to live your life letting the stealerships eat your money. Why would they sell a car to you just to lose money? Common sense
Old 03-21-2008, 12:14 PM
Going for broke
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Joolander

I pulled the holdback off of the invoice of my own car. I work for a Ford dealer so I think it's safe to assume I know what the holdback is. All dealers pay the same invoice price however different regions have different incentives, programs, lease residuals andsometimes retailpricing (option package savings etc.) I Never saidholdback was calculated on invoice I was just using my invoice as an example My car stickers for 37,710 invoice is 34863.98, d plan is 33578.98 abd the TOTAL HOLDBACK IS1104. I'm not sure where you got your info but it's wrong. not here to argue but only proving my statement.

just what do you have on your car that makes it sticker for near $38K? I've got a GT/CS with nearly every option availble (except auto), stickered for $34K, and with X-plan and a little negotiation, I paid $27K

just wondering...
convertible... There is no negotiation on x plan. any negotiation was in rebates or trade value.
Old 03-21-2008, 12:25 PM
Going for broke
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ChiDiddy

I'd skip the shaker 1000 and get the appearance package,comfort package and the ambient lighting for about the same 1295 the shaker costs... when I was dealer locating my car I was shocked to see that in the 50 or so cars that were dimilar to my requirements only 2 had the shaker 1000 and these were mustangs that stickered from between 37 and 40k not stripped models.
invoice is a fair price and don't let others tell you different.

As for the guy that wants to rip the dealer off so they make nothing (Chidaddy).. I'm sure you have a job to get the things you want and it's badenough that Ford gives the dealer invoice outwhen you build a car on the website so just imagine where your job would be if your company you work for didn't make any money. I'll give you a clue you wouldn't have one. Do you go to the grocery store and negotiate the price on a gallon of milk? Invoice is fair but asking them to give up holdback and adv.is plain being greedy.
The only way I think your buddy got one for 2k back of invoice would be from a factory rebate, at least get your story straight.
Holdback on a 35k invoicemustang is exactly 1104.I think they deserve that don't you??

I do however agree with you that the shaker 500 is more them sufficient.
get my facts straight? get YOUR facts straight. there was no rebate for 08 when he bought it. Me being greedy? I could care less how much a dealer makes. You think they arent making money? Your obviously a nieve fool. i dont give a rat @ss however much they make. If its MY MONEY that i work hard for, im not going to GIVE it to someone. You go ahead and continue to live your life letting the stealerships eat your money. Why would they sell a car to you just to lose money? Common sense
I'm a nieve fool that is a used car manager for a "stealership" and before that guess what?? I ran our Ford store. You don't have to believe me, thats your choice but I am speaking fact from true invoices and numbers. The only way you will ever get a dealer to dip into there holdback in most instances is if it's a leftover from a previous model year
The guy clearly stated he received$2000 in rebates.maybe you should re-read what he and I wrote when you sober up..Step away from the crack pipe. lol
Old 03-21-2008, 12:41 PM
ChiDiddy
4th Gear Member

I stated my friend reaceived 2k in rebates? haha i dont have to reread anything. You shoud. If you did, you would know that you said MY BUDDY must have received a 2k rebate to get that price. Once again you need to reread. I stated its an 08, how is it a previous model year. Its nice that you were the manager, but my uncle was very close to owning a lexus dealer but backed away. He told me alot of things people dont know, including managers..........A dealer would never dip into their holdback? That must be why when i bought the expedition 08, they sat down with me and showed me all their papers including their holdback. Thay asked me "how much would YOU like us to make on this car" and i said "nothing". And now i have an 08 expedition EL with leather that i payed 26k driveout for. Believe me if you want
Old 03-21-2008, 12:43 PM
tmsmith
3rd Gear Member

I can try and get some pictures if you are still interested.

Didn't read the whole thread because I am at work. Just let me know and I can snap a few for you. I may have some already, but they don't do it justice.

Let me know!
Old 03-21-2008, 01:04 PM
Going for broke
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ChiDiddy

I stated my friend reaceived 2k in rebates? haha i dont have to reread anything. You shoud. If you did, you would know that you said MY BUDDY must have received a 2k rebate to get that price. Once again you need to reread. I stated its an 08, how is it a previous model year. Its nice that you were the manager, but my uncle was very close to owning a lexus dealer but backed away. He told me alot of things people dont know, including managers..........A dealer would never dip into their holdback? That must be why when i bought the expedition 08, they sat down with me and showed me all their papers including their holdback. Thay asked me "how much would YOU like us to make on this car" and i said "nothing". And now i have an 08 expedition EL with leather that i payed 26k driveout for. Believe me if you want
yea your right I can believe they would dip into holdback on a 12mpg unit with gas at 3.30 a gallon but what they didn't tell you about was the $2000 in dealer cash.. lol I stand corrected.When you were referring to the guy buying the 08 I was working three different car deals and thoughtyou were talking about the guy that said he bought his car $2500 back of invoice. Once againI stand corrected but stand by my statement of dealers not dipping into holdback to sell cars. Why don't you ask your uncle aboutfloorplans and what dealer holdback is really for. Maybe someone thats close to you in your family can have an intervention with you and get you back on track. Good day.

lol.... All thier papers?? well I have got some news for you.. there is one invoice.. it lists msrp, invoice, holdback, d plan, x plan, a plan vin # etc... I'm not sure what "papers" your talking about but there is only one that matters. Keep talking your looking smarter and smarter every time you start typing.

Quick Reply: ordering my mustang need help with options asap ambient lighting ?