Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Searching for the water leak today.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 06:37 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Default Searching for the water leak today.....

I think I have it narrowed down to the seam just below the passenger side fuse box. I washed the car today and the insulation under the carpet was wet yet again. I haven't read all the posts about water leaks, but mine isn't leaking enough to soak the carpet, only the insulation under it. It also has to be coming in from the side of the car near the fuse box because that's the only place the isulation is wet all the way to the edge. The top of the insulation behind the dash is dry as a bone. So I start feeling around for water behind the fuse box, above it, pretty much all around this area and come up empty handed. I then start pulling on the black wire loom in the pic to remove it from the panel and voila! A drop of water slides down to the floor in the exact place were the wet insulation starts. Now I didn't think water would be coming up in through the hole for the clip, but it could because it goes to the outside of the car. I start pushing on the metal below the fuse box and sure enough get some water to come out from between the two pieces of metal. I temporarily used clear silicone sealer all around that seam, but to really fix it i'd need to remove the fuse box and those bolts you see in the pic or get to it from the outside by removing the fender.

I know I read one dealer that was sealing the seam below the front window, but I have no wet insulation up high to indicate it leaking from there. For my next test I will wash the car again really, really good and apply baby powder all around the passenger floor board to see if I have water coming in anywhere else. I felt all around that bundle of wires and could find no water, but now that I think about it maybe it's running down the inside of the bundle from behind the inner fender. I will have to check that next.

Old 03-20-2008, 06:47 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Searching for the water leak today.....

finally a DIY'er is going to try and
solve this!

personally i can't think of anyone else better,
for the job

moose, we're all here for moral support....

Old 03-20-2008, 06:54 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hammeron

solve this!

for the job

Oh, I will solve it! I enjoy a good challenge. I think the baby powder, a good bright light and my wife spraying the car while i'm laying upside down on the passenger floor ought to do it. Maybe i'll remove the passenger seat to make it easier. I don't like trying to patch it from the inside when I don't know where it's coming from, but I don't want to start removing body panels either.
Old 03-20-2008, 07:01 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

hehe...i am fotunate never to have this, the strut pop, clutch packs or any other **** go wrong. The ebrake freezing TSB is the other thing ever gone wrong
Old 03-20-2008, 07:20 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Come on moose, skinny guys like yourself, can curve up easy in those twists.
No need to remove the seat, or is the carpetwet under there too?
Old 03-20-2008, 07:58 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: pascal

You'd think I could fit, but it's a tight squeeze even for me. It's not wet all the way back to the seat, but if left alone long enough it probably would be. The insulation under the carpet soaks up the water and spreads it out. It actually looks like the water comes right up through the floor board because there is nothing wet above the door sills.

I'll take a closer look next time I wash the car. I really need to see whats behind that seam before sealing it because the water could just build up back there until it comes out somewhere else.
Old 03-20-2008, 08:32 PM
oh6ponygirl
1st Gear Member

Have you siliconed around the clips that the cover for the cabin air filter snaps into? If so, ignore the following disertation. If not, thats where I found my problem to be. In my case the water was entering through the grommet for the large bundle that comes in from the door just above the fuse box. You would think then that it is coming in through the outside door grommet.However, there appears to be a hollow cavity between the metal wall you see inside the car and the wall you see outside where the wires come out in the door jam. Directly above this cavity is one of the outermost clip things for the plastic cover. Water comes in throught the clip, hits the wire bundle as it comes through the cavity and dribbles down along the wire bundle above the box.

The clips are lame. A stupid foam washer is underneath each one and the sealing of the washer depends on the tension of the plastic clip. I found most of mine to be loose with water trapped in, under, or around each one. The tsb addresses these clips. Anyway, mines been bone dry ever since. If you choose to do them across the front then you will have to pop off the drivers wiper to get the other part of the cover off (not fun). [:@]
Old 03-20-2008, 08:36 PM
jmk3
3rd Gear Member

I found & fixed mine a year ago& it never leaked again. after a very heavy rain my carpet was wet on the passenger side. I found water driping down from the a pillar area over the foam thing over the sjb. I pulled off the cowl cover below the windshield and happened to remove one of the cowl clips in the body (there are about 10 of them). The body below the cowl clips was filled to the edge with water, it was running around to the side & running down onto the sjb. There are cheesy foam gaskets that are supposed to seal the plastic clips in the body. I revoved all the clips & threw out the gaskets & put the clips back in with some sealer made for leaks in RV seams. Let them dry overnight & reinstalled the cowl and it never leaked again. There is a tsb on the leaking cowl clips. I have suspected that others including dealers have sealed the seam where the water was leaking down from theA pillar & it solved the problem but there is still water trapped in the body. A quick left & right turn would cause a sloshing sound from behind the dash.
May not be your problem but its easy to pull the passenger cowl & one of the clips & see if its wat inside, also there are a few drain holes under there that can become plugged with leaves & dirt. The driver side is tougher cause the wipers have to come off.

Old 03-20-2008, 08:39 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

ORIGINAL: moosestang

ORIGINAL: pascal

You'd think I could fit, but it's a tight squeeze even for me. It's not wet all the way back to the seat, but if left alone long enough it probably would be. The insulation under the carpet soaks up the water and spreads it out. It actually looks like the water comes right up through the floor board because there is nothing wet above the door sills.

I'll take a closer look next time I wash the car. I really need to see whats behind that seam before sealing it because the water could just build up back there until it comes out somewhere else.
It is thight...
Joke aside, getting in the fuse box alone is a pain[8D].
Old 03-20-2008, 09:12 PM
Beavis

ORIGINAL: moosestang

ORIGINAL: hammeron

solve this!

for the job

Oh, I will solve it! I enjoy a good challenge. I think the baby powder, a good bright light and my wife spraying the car while i'm laying upside down on the passenger floor ought to do it. Maybe i'll remove the passenger seat to make it easier. I don't like trying to patch it from the inside when I don't know where it's coming from, but I don't want to start removing body panels either.
I will be waiting impatiently to hear what you find out. My car is 2 weeks old and found this problem 1 day after bringing it home. I had it back to the dealer and they said it was fixed. I want to be able to fix this myself when it pops up again. They already put a scratch on the hood and e-brake handle when it was they had it. Good luck and keep us informed.

Quick Reply: Searching for the water leak today.....