Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A warning to those with non-functional hood scoops...

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 10:31 AM
chain1
4th Gear Member

Default RE: A warning to those with non-functional hood scoops...

Yeah, around here I see too many civics and and Tacomas with taped on hood scoops.
Don't get me wrong so of the full kits look great on these cars, just not a fan of the hood and side scoops.
Old 03-21-2008, 10:32 AM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

I agree. Same with vinyl stripes too, living in Texas, it would be my like if I went to remove any tape on or stick on stuff, everything under neath would be a different colors due to fading.
Old 03-21-2008, 12:47 PM
rogan01
3rd Gear Member

Warning?
Old 03-21-2008, 01:04 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rogan01

Warning?

"it's taken me a good 4 hours by myself to take the pieces off. And i'm pretty sure i scratched my left headlight lens with my fingernail... ugh.......

believe it or not I actually had a small crease on my hood from the scoop - not sure what happened there. i don't recall doing anything to the hood scoop while trying to take it off that might have caused that."
Old 03-21-2008, 04:09 PM
danbevsv6rumbler
3rd Gear Member

hi-five mrsandman,

this was meant as a warning for those contemplating either putting on the hood scoop or taking one off.

if you're putting one on... do your best to make sure you're gonna like it, cause it was a pain to get off.

Mike, I think I'll be keeping those for now. They were the only exterior add-ons i would have lived with. I took them off because they weren't straight upon their first installation (previous owner's fault, not mine ). BUT, should I consider selling them, you'll definitely be the first to know

Old 03-21-2008, 04:27 PM
SlinkyBMX
2nd Gear Member

If you are selling the side scoops let me know please, thanks!
Old 03-21-2008, 04:39 PM
4LITER6
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: acascianelli

I've actually been tempted to buy the side scoops from the GT/CS. I don't know why but I really like the way they look.
These the ones I have, they ball clips, anyway, you need to drill 2 holes each side.......it's just not tape.....

Nice scoops.....
Old 03-22-2008, 10:17 AM
rogan01
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for the warning! I bought a Roush hood scoop and was going to install it next week but after your warning it is going on ebay (or the dump). I wish I had read your post before I spent $300 on this piece of garbage.

All Roush scoop owners take note!!!! I am just lucky I didn't install it yet. Sorry if you already have it - It seems you will regret it.

Thanks Sandman - you saved me lots of time/work.
Old 03-22-2008, 10:46 AM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

on the other hand, it looks like i should have a xenon hood scoop to sell if anyone is interested . pm me if so...
Here's the thing...

If I am not mistaken, isn't the Xenon scoop held on only with 3m tape? My guess, in comparison with the Roush scoop, is that there is way more surface contact with the Xenon than the Roush, since the Roush also uses 7 bolts to hold it on. My guess, and it is only a guess, knowing how flimsy the Mustang aluminum hood is, is that whomever installed the Xenon scoop originally, probably leaned on the scoop way too much, in an attempt to adhere the contact area to the hood. Probably creased the hood in the process....

I have had my Roush scoop off and back on at least 3 times, including at least two times over vinyl stripes. Each time I have re-applied 3M tape, and had no issues removing it, or with hood creasing. I believe if the tape is applied properly, and you rely on tightening the bolts to the specified torque to adhere the tape, rather than leaning on the scoop and hood, you should be fine. If nothing else, replace the 3m tape on the Roush scoop with foam weather stripping, and rely solely on the bolts. It aint going anywhere.....

JMO,
Mike
Old 03-22-2008, 11:50 AM
rogan01
3rd Gear Member

Mike,

Thanks - but this is a WARNING from the OP AND Sandman about non-functional hood scoops (i.e. - the Roush). I paid about $300 for a painted scoop from Roush and now I have to basically throw it out based on the OP's experience - I was going to install it next week!. That's $300 down the drain! I thought of selling this on ebay but I would not feel right selling someone else my problems - even for $200 + shipping - which is much less than I paid.

No more wasted $ on mods for me - especially these non-functional hood scoops like the Roush. Seems like they are not worth the trouble as the OP says. Glad I read this before making a big mistake! I am very inexperienced so this means a lot to me. Thanks Sandman and Dave!!!

Quick Reply: A warning to those with non-functional hood scoops...